PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
white smoke from tail pipe could it be from the mechanic who did my motor mounts?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Dec 2014, 10:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default white smoke from tail pipe could it be from the mechanic who did my motor mounts?

I had my motor mounts changed less than a week ago.Today I started my car and tons of white smoke came from the tailpipe. It was 70 degrees so it wasnt steam. I started the car three times all three times it smoked only from the tail pipe.Is this just a coincidence or could the person who did my motor mounts could have caused this problem? I called and if its a blown gasket it will cost 3,000 to repair! seems crazy my car is a non turbo 2006 pt cruiser with 88,0000 miles
Old 26 Dec 2014, 11:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: white smoke from tail pipe could it be from the mechanic who did my motor mounts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilori View Post
I had my motor mounts changed less than a week ago.Today I started my car and tons of white smoke came from the tailpipe. It was 70 degrees so it wasnt steam. I started the car three times all three times it smoked only from the tail pipe.Is this just a coincidence or could the person who did my motor mounts could have caused this problem? I called and if its a blown gasket it will cost 3,000 to repair! seems crazy my car is a non turbo 2006 pt cruiser with 88,0000 miles
Not sure where your from but that price is ridiculous.
No I don't see a connection.
Is there a sweet smell?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Dec 2014, 12:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: white smoke from tail pipe could it be from the mechanic who did my motor mounts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Not sure where your from but that price is ridiculous.
No I don't see a connection.
Is there a sweet smell?
Agree.
Does car overheat if you drive it?
Open oil filler cap and look in - any brownish foam?
Pull oil dipstick - is oil on it clear or murky?
$3,000 is a robbery.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Dec 2014, 12:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

I am from Palm Springs and the quote was from pep boys.They said blown head gasket requires an engine rebuild and I would need a new timing belt and water pump which is 20 to 30 hour s of labor hence the 3k price tag. MY car only retails for 2500 at best.

I feel like crying. It drove great all week since new motor mounts then all the sudden it did the white smoke thing. The smoke is intense and I didnt really notice a smell.I did notice the shock things(i think thats what there called) had oil in them.I inspected them after reading forums all day on this .

I could take a quick video and upload it on you tube if anyone is wiling to check it out on video if that may help.I am not skilled with cars but for that price I am hoping i can learn to fix it myself since as I am pretty broke lol but first i need to diagnose the problem and since there is no check engine light its tough.

I really appricate anyone who takes the time to respond
Old 27 Dec 2014, 01:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Really curious why you didn't answer questions - main one is does car overheat when you drive it...
That is a major clue for us to help you.
Take a look at the oil, as I asked.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Dec 2014, 04:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

NO the car has never overheated and didnt over heat when I turned it on with white smoke. I havent seen any oil leeks from the bottom that I can tell
Old 27 Dec 2014, 07:10 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
I am from Palm Springs and the quote was from pep boys.They said blown head gasket requires an engine rebuild and I would need a new timing belt and water pump which is 20 to 30 hour s of labor hence the 3k price tag. MY car only retails for 2500 at best.
Pep Boys is always high on things like this, I actually called them when my head gasket blew & got the same $3000 quote (they were close to my house).
Anyway, I called around & got it done for $1100 including water pump & timing belt.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 27 Dec 2014, 09:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

I feel like crying. It drove great all week since new motor mounts then all the sudden it did the white smoke thing. The smoke is intense and I didnt really notice a smell.I did notice the shock things(i think thats what there called) had oil in them.I inspected them after reading forums all day on this .

I could take a quick video and upload it on you tube if anyone is wiling to check it out on video if that may help.I am not skilled with cars but for that price I am hoping i can learn to fix it myself since as I am pretty broke lol but first i need to diagnose the problem and since there is no check engine light its tough.

I really appricate anyone who takes the time to respond
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Pep Boys is always high on things like this, I actually called them when my head gasket blew & got the same $3000 quote (they were close to my house).
Anyway, I called around & got it done for $1100 including water pump & timing belt.
Not sure about the shock thing you mentioned. Maybe a link to that. Lets get some basic things checked out. On level ground, check the oil level before you start it. Also look at oil on the stick to see if it looks normal. If your not sure if it looks normal take a pic and post it if you can. Check under cap as well as Don asked. Also check your overflow for the radiator and tell us what the level of that is. All this before you start it. If you start it again go back there and smell it. Tell us what you think it smells like. Your car probobly is worth more than the price you gave. But stay away from pepboys on the mechanic stuff. Unless they are competitive on the small stuff. A great mechanic isn't going to be working there. So take a breath and lest see what we can figure out. May at some point have to have some testing done if we can't find something simple going on. Did pepboys do any test to determine it need the work they priced you? Or did they say well if it is this it cost so and so.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Dec 2014, 07:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Have you checked your pcv valve the same thing happened to my car just becareful and dont clog up your cats
Old 28 Dec 2014, 08:48 am
Senior Cruiser

Dear pep boys... Looks like I might need an air filter and maybe a new battery.. would $1400 suffice ?
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.