PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Motor Mounts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Dec 2014, 02:17 pm
Young Cruiser

Question Motor Mounts

I have a fairly easy question.

How do the motor mounts go bad? I have already had to replace one and now being told two more are bad. Why do they go bad?
Old 27 Dec 2014, 04:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Motor Mounts

It's usually the top and bottom strut mounts on the right side that go bad.

The center engine mount on the right and the trans mount on the left mostly act as pivots. The strut mounts are the ones that have to hold most of the engine's torque. And Chrysler made these with a lot of cushion to help dampen engine vibration. So with the force they must endure and the cushion type design, they just don't seem to last too long. A lot of the ones I see at the salvage yards are badly worn no matter the year of the PT.
Old 29 Dec 2014, 01:29 pm
Young Cruiser

but what causes them to go bad so quick? poor construction or what?
Old 29 Dec 2014, 01:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittey5656 View Post
but what causes them to go bad so quick? poor construction or what?
define "quick".
These mounts under normal conditions and installed correctly will last at least 50K+ and many years . This is OEM or aftermarket.

The portion that separates is the rebound area of the rubber. Once either lower or upper tears the other will shortly follow. This design of mounts is the same typical style used by both BMW and Chrysler on many other applications using the Chrysler engine besides a PT Cruiser. On forums you will find reports of what seems to be more going bad but this is simply because of the age that PT Cruisers have been around now and improper installation.
Old 29 Dec 2014, 10:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have another opinion: Mopar PT Cruiser motor mounts are poorly made and/or designed.

Both of mine went out years ago--long before my PT was "old". The bottom mount went out at 36,000. The upper, not long after.

I replaced them with Duralast--and they have lasted until now--about 55,000 more miles.

I don't know if it was Crysler's mounts, or the way they were designed, and/or their location.

My daughter's Honda del Sol has 114,000 miles on it and the motor mounts have not gone south. So ...? Makes you wonder, right?

Tim
Old 30 Dec 2014, 10:54 am
Young Cruiser

I think it all depends on the manufacturer, some are cheap and don't make them to last, while others build them to last.
Old 30 Dec 2014, 11:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittey5656 View Post
I think it all depends on the manufacturer, some are cheap and don't make them to last, while others build them to last.

We would like to think this but it is not accurate. The cages (cast aluminum) do not wear out and only break if impacted and the rubber is measured +/- 5 durometer from OEM. So what about this is "cheap and don't make them to last"?
The design itself works very well and the material is on par with most any other rubber mounts on many other platforms.

In most every case if the mounts are shown you can easily see which mount failed first which taxed the other mounts.

There is a specific way that the upper and lower mounts that are commonly replaced that must be done when installing new mounts. Also the remaining mounts are seldom replaced or inspected.

I have used the cages for my own product and found them to be excellent. Also the if properly filled with Polyurethane and not "glass rubber adhesive" you can increase there effectiveness for performance applications.

Last edited by NitroPT; 30 Dec 2014 at 11:23 am.
Old 09 Feb 2015, 02:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post

There is a specific way that the upper and lower mounts that are commonly replaced that must be done when installing new mounts. Also the remaining mounts are seldom replaced or inspected.
Can you link me to a diagram or tutorial video that shows the proper procedure for replacing the lower mount?
Old 09 Feb 2015, 02:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodees View Post
Can you link me to a diagram or tutorial video that shows the proper procedure for replacing the lower mount?
you SHOULD do them as a pair, and adjust them as shown in the attachment here Torque ?

reason I say as a pair is one slightly worn is added stress on the other.

Last edited by rob342; 09 Feb 2015 at 03:06 pm.
Old 09 Feb 2015, 03:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks, Rob. Doing lower control arms, my local wheel shop found that the lower mount is bad and is replacing it with a Balkamp/napa part, which is what they can get delivered locally while the job is going on. I'm ordering the Anchor 2948 upper and will do it at home.

I'm too old and creaky to attack the control arm job at home with no lift, and I'm glad that Wheel Service, Inc. saw the problem with the lower and called me back for permission to replace it.

Anyways, I'm told that Anchor mounts of this kind are the more durable of the aftermarket mounts. OEM Mopar lower costs $107.00, Anchor2949 on amazon is $17.15, and the napa one is $32.85. For the upper, the Anchor part on amazon is $17.43 vs $148 for a Mopar from the stealership...... No brainer decision for me there.

BTW, the owner of Wheel Service Inc. is a diehard PT lover. His daily driver is an '03 Dream turbo w/slapstick and his guys do some good work for me.

Last edited by twodees; 09 Feb 2015 at 03:28 pm. Reason: additional info