PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Immobilizer

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Dec 2014, 04:48 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Immobilizer

I took my Cruiser into the stealership to get the remote programmed, After forking out 58 dollars, they said they couldn't program it because the Immobilizer is bad... My question is, if its bad, How am I able to drive it? Are they just trying to et me to pay the 350 to "fix" it?
Old 27 Dec 2014, 05:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Immobilizer

EDITED:

Wait, you said "remote"? If you have one working remote, you can program a second remote yourself. And a remote doesn't really have a lot to do with the SKIM. Try this yourself. If you don't have one working remote, call a locksmith. It will likely be cheaper and better.

Quote:
"Up to four transmitters can be programmed to your vehicle. Additional transmitters can be programmed to the system by using the follow procedure:

1. Insert the key into the ignition switch and turn the switch to the ON position.
2. Press and hold the Unlock button on the transmitter between four and ten seconds.
3. continue to hold the unlock button and press the Panic button. A chime will sound to indicate that the transmitter programming mode has been entered.
4. Press a button on all transmitters to be programmed to the system, including any previously programmed transmitters. A chime will sound when each transmitter has been programmed.
5. Turn the ignition switch off to exit the transmitter programming mode."

This response below is for a second key, not remote..............

There's a chance that the dealership either can't look up the pin number for your specific SKIM or they cannot pull the number from your SKIM. So they are saying it is bad. But if it was bad, then it likely wouldn't be communicating correctly to the PCM. And if the PCM cannot communicate with it, then it will shut down the engine just a few seconds after being started.

To get a true second key made, you might try an independent lock smith. Many have the equipment to program a second key. Another and cheaper option is to go to Walmart and let them "clone" you existing key. This new second key will have the identical code to the original. So your SKIM will no know the difference.

From a practical standpoint, the only difference to getting a cloned key and having a true second key is that you will not be able to program a third key by yourself. The PT SKIM will let you program a third key if you have already have two truly different keys programed into the system.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 27 Dec 2014 at 05:08 pm.
Old 27 Dec 2014, 05:05 pm
Young Cruiser

The keys work fine, I'm trying to get the remote programmed
Old 27 Dec 2014, 05:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by commosutra View Post
The keys work fine, I'm trying to get the remote programmed
See my edit above.
Old 27 Dec 2014, 05:14 pm
Young Cruiser

This is the only one I have and it never worked as long as I had it. I call on Monday to avoid the "weekend" charge.
Thanks!
Old 27 Dec 2014, 05:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Did you open your existing remote check to see if the batteries are still good, or not installed upside down or something? Put a meter on them and see if they are still good. There are two and they should be around 3 volts each.
harrym and Handy_Cruiser like this.
Old 27 Dec 2014, 05:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Put a brand new battery in it. Just got off the with Locksmith (Pop-a-lock) wants $130 to attempt it with no guarantees, May just not worry about this for now, I'm thinking about putting a car alarm with remote start anyways. This wouldn't cause an issue with that would it?

Last edited by commosutra; 27 Dec 2014 at 06:10 pm.
Old 27 Dec 2014, 06:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by commosutra View Post
Put a brand new battery in it. Just got off the with Locksmith (Pop-a-lock) wants $130 to attempt it with no guarantees, May just not work about this for now, I'm thinking about putting a car alarm with remote start anyways. This wouldn't cause an issue with that would it?
Yes. That would involve defeating the SKIM. But there are several ways to do that if you will sacrifice one of you sentry keys. What year model is your PT?
Old 27 Dec 2014, 06:09 pm
Young Cruiser

2001 LE
Old 27 Dec 2014, 11:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You can likely remove the SKIM unit from the column. Then use zip ties to fix one of your sentry keys inside the ring on the SKIM unit. After that, plug the SKIM unit back in and hide it inside the dash somewhere. After that, you should be able to just use regular non-sentry keys and install an aftermarket remote system as you please.

If have tested this on my 2001 Limited and did something similar on my 2005 GT just to see if it still works. And it does.

Here's one more thing that I have never tested but might work. The keyless entry module is in the center of the dash below the dash cover. That is the thing that is programed to recognize the fobs. It is separate from the BCM. I have not read anywhere that the keyless entry module in a 1st Gen PT Cruiser has to be mated to the PCM like the SKIM module does. It may be possible to simply trade out the keyless entry module with one that already has fobs mated to it. Sometimes at salvage yards, the cars still have keys and fobs in them on the key chain. That might be another option to restore remote function to your PT without paying a dealer or locksmith. But note, I am not 100% sure the remote module does not have to be mated to the PCM. This is just speculation at this point.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 27 Dec 2014 at 11:38 pm.