PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
FYI how I diagnosed and repaired dysfunctioning lift gate remote release

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ptprice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Dec 2014, 08:31 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default FYI how I diagnosed and repaired dysfunctioning lift gate remote release

As the tittle of the thread implies, I diagnosed and solved this problem and am posting the results and some photos of what was done.
The first efforts were follow ups from good advise from the Forum. Check wiring, check fuses, check plugs on lift gate handle and RKEM. All of these proved OK so I had to think this 'n out.
A continuity test of the cheap pressure switch in the lift gate handle showed full continuity of the switch both open and closed. Sooo, a Cheap pressure switch destroyed the lift gate release circuit in the RKEM to the tune of $100 for a brand new handle, $115 for a new RKEM, $15 shipping and $40 to reconfigure the new RKEM to My PT's on board electronics at Daytona Chrysler.
To keep my costs down I did all my own installation work and bought the parts on line from Parks Chrysler in Augusta, Kansas 1-316-775-6365. Ask for Billy. Their prices on line are very reasonable.
Here's a hint on the installation of the lift gate handle; Remove the 3 threaded nuts and the 2 lock nuts, then heat the double faced tape securing the handle from the out side and carefully pry it off a bit at a time by wedging and lifting with a plastic spatula. Clean the lift gate surface. Reverse procedure to install the new handle but pay attention that the double faced tape on the new handle is completely affixed. Use a heat gun again along the length of the handle and press to promote adhesion. Hold till cool and adhesion is complete as the mount holes are covered with this installation and without this step you might have a small leak when installed.
The steps to install the RKEM follow: Lift and position the windshield post covers. Mark and number the knobs and their position. Pull off knobs with a padded (masking tape) pliers. Pull out window switch unit, to access and remove middle screw of center panel, remove center panel and plug from window switch. Remove 2 screws holding upper dash, pry dash out lifting towards the rear. Support dash with screwdriver while removing old RKEM. Put plug in new RKEM and reinstalling the RKEM unit (2 screws) Both the plugs for each unit have locks securing them. (see photos). Reverse procedures to reinstall center dash, window switch, knobs dash top and windshield post covers. ptprice

Last edited by ptprice; 27 Dec 2014 at 08:34 pm. Reason: miss spellings