PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Could installing a new stereo make my pt overheat?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By quicksilverdon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Dec 2014, 08:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Could installing a new stereo make my pt overheat?

I recently installed a new system in my PT. It was okay for a while, then I started my car to charge up the battery and after about 10 of running idle my temp light came on and it started dumping fluid on the ground, overheating. Never once had this problem before. Now when I drive it, my temp gauge will fluctuate from about 50 to 35 percent back and forth. I checked my fuses and my relays click on and off and I light tested my fan and am getting no light from high or low. My fan doesn't come on at all. Not real mechanically inclined but think its the fan. Does anyone else have anything they think it could be?
Not sure if this matters but my belt always squeals when I start my car of turn up my heater and fan

2001 PT Cruiser "The OG PT"
17" Incubus Valera (Peel Coat Matte Black)
Ecsta ZR 205/45/17
Rockford Fosgate PMX-2
Sundown Audio Z-12 V.4 D1 Rev 2
Cadence ZRS C2 4k Amp
Mb Quart mids and tweets powered by phoenix gold
ST Suspensions 90272 Coilovers
Magnaflow 15680 2 1/4 single cat-back exhaust
Old 29 Dec 2014, 09:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Could installing a new stereo make my pt overheat?

not sure where you are but the low speed fan should be ON when the ac or defrost is on unless you have a turbo then i dnt know but id say its the fan what year how many miles any mods???? do not drive it hot or it will be a expensive fix
Old 29 Dec 2014, 09:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Let car cool off completely and open radiator cap and top it up to the brim.
Yes, your fan probably died and and the reason temp gauge fluctuates is because you lost some coolant and air got in your system.

And the fan probably died on its own the reason you overheated is because you idled for so long.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 29 Dec 2014 at 09:34 pm. Reason: added last sentence
Old 30 Dec 2014, 07:14 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTCass View Post
I recently installed a new system in my PT. It was okay for a while, then I started my car to charge up the battery and after about 10 of running idle my temp light came on and it started dumping fluid on the ground, overheating. Never once had this problem before. Now when I drive it, my temp gauge will fluctuate from about 50 to 35 percent back and forth. I checked my fuses and my relays click on and off and I light tested my fan and am getting no light from high or low. My fan doesn't come on at all. Not real mechanically inclined but think its the fan. Does anyone else have anything they think it could be?
Not sure if this matters but my belt always squeals when I start my car of turn up my heater and fan
New here....and a question

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost