PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hiccups are gone, now full blown intestinal distress

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Dec 2014, 08:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hiccups are gone, now full blown intestinal distress

Several months ago I had a problem with some hiccups and a P0442 code. The light went away after I cleaned off the gas cap, which had a weird kind of white film on it. I did get the plugs and wires replaced, because they didn't show having ever been replaced in the repair record.

I'm glad the previous owner always took it to the dealership where she bought it for repairs, and I have at least a baseline to begin knowing where to look when problems crop up. However, other than regular oil changes, she never had anything repaired. This means at 65k miles, every problem is a crap shoot.

After the plugs were replaced the hiccups didn't go completely away and it didn't perform any better. A few weeks ago, it started doing a strange thing, which was that the windows would get fogged up no matter what the weather, and no matter if the windows were down or up, and no matter what the air control settings were set to. Driving in the rain, I had to keep the windows rolled down in order to maintain visibility.

Then, I got the P0442 code again. Rather than trying to clean off the gas cap, I just went to O'Reilly's and bought a new gas cap. That didn't change anything, and the code didn't go away like it did before. I unhooked the battery and re-hooked it up, and the code went away and never came back. For whatever reason (probably none at all) the fogging stopped after I replaced the gas cap. Probably mere coincidence. It's been no more or less humid or rainy and no sudden changes in the barometer than it was when the fogging started.

But the hiccups became growls in forward gears and now, when I back the car up, it sounds like it's in severe intestinal distress. It all sounds like it's coming from the right front of the engine, perhaps where the EVAP system is, but I don't have a lift and can't get under to see if I could replace anything or even know if it needs replacing.

My question is, should I wait until it's time to get smogged to get it fixed? My state has financial help for people in dire straits economically (unfortunately I'm one of them) or does it sound like something that isn't related to the emissions system at all? Could it be the transmission, at 65k?

I'm lost without my trusty mechanic, when I lived in a small town, where he could fix just about anything for a twelve pack of beer if he could work on it in his spare time, if I bought the parts and took them to him. I'm at the point where I have to figure out how much it's going to cost to repair it, and am truly cruising blind because I'm not a mechanic and have to decide whether to pay for diagnostics or pay for groceries. If anybody knows of anything I could check or look for without having to get under it, I'd appreciate if you would let me know. I thought of making a video of the noise but the last time it did it, it really sounded like its last gasp and not sure how many more "reverses" I can get out of this car.
Old 31 Dec 2014, 08:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hiccups are gone, now full blown intestinal distress

We need model year auto or manual. Is the right side you speak of the passenger side? Does the gral get worse if you turn the wheel, does it gral in the stopped position?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 Dec 2014, 10:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

2004, automatic. Yes, it's the right (passenger) side of the car where the noise seems to come from. The last occurrence was specifically when I was backing in to my parking space. Although it doesn't sound great in a forward gear either. But the last time I backed it in, the steering wheel was cranked to the right, the noise started, and then got worse when I put it in reverse. ETA: When the steering wheel was cranked, the brakes were on and I was at a complete stop before putting it in reverse. The noise was throughout while cranking the wheel, and got worse when I put it in reverse. Also don't know if this info helps at all, but the previous hiccups have turned into whining. Mostly the car, not the driver -- unless I feel particularly whiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
We need model year auto or manual. Is the right side you speak of the passenger side? Does the gral get worse if you turn the wheel, does it gral in the stopped position?

Last edited by CruisingBlind; 31 Dec 2014 at 10:18 am.
Old 31 Dec 2014, 02:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingBlind View Post
2004, automatic. Yes, it's the right (passenger) side of the car where the noise seems to come from. The last occurrence was specifically when I was backing in to my parking space. Although it doesn't sound great in a forward gear either. But the last time I backed it in, the steering wheel was cranked to the right, the noise started, and then got worse when I put it in reverse. ETA: When the steering wheel was cranked, the brakes were on and I was at a complete stop before putting it in reverse. The noise was throughout while cranking the wheel, and got worse when I put it in reverse. Also don't know if this info helps at all, but the previous hiccups have turned into whining. Mostly the car, not the driver -- unless I feel particularly whiny
Sounds like power steering pump complaining.
Open hood - on left (passenger) side in front next to radiator, open black plastic cap and check the power steering fluid level. Oil ought to be between the two marks. If it isn't, add ATF + 4 transmission fluid until it is between the two marks, you might be lucky and just be low on fluid.
Have no idea what you mean by hiccups.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 31 Dec 2014, 03:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Yes I do think you need to look at the fluid level. If it is low then there is a leak. Just adding fluid doesn't get rid of that. You don't lose steering fluid without a leak. So if that cures your noise you need then to look for the leak. The pressure switch can be a common leak. Hoses also. Let me know what you find.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 Dec 2014, 07:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wouldn't there be a drip underneath if it was leaking fluid? Sorry I haven't got the change to get out and look at the level yet because I just read this post. One of the things I did do was look underneath it last night to see if there was anything leaking and it's dry as a bone under the car. Does the fluid get lost while driving, and burn off? I had a car once with a cracked cylinder head that never leaked anything so I learned the mysteries of why the coolant reservoir had to be refilled every day.

Will check back and report. Although it's getting dark and scary because it's New Year's Eve which means a lot of partying and random shooting. Nobody in this neighborhood can afford fireworks, lol. But apparently they can afford bullets! The revelry began last year as soon as it was dark, otherwise known as "it's time to duck and cover".

Quote:
Yes I do think you need to look at the fluid level. If it is low then there is a leak. Just adding fluid doesn't get rid of that. You don't lose steering fluid without a leak. So if that cures your noise you need then to look for the leak. The pressure switch can be a common leak. Hoses also. Let me know what you find.
Old 31 Dec 2014, 07:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you, I will be checking that ASAP.

The hiccups referred to the sound the car used to make, little electrical jumps when the a/c turned on, or the lights turned on then they would sometimes flicker, at the same time the car would make weird surging noises. Thought it would resolve with new plugs/wires but it didn't. I can only assume the guy who changed them out did the job right, but there's always the chance that maybe he didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Sounds like power steering pump complaining.
Open hood - on left (passenger) side in front next to radiator, open black plastic cap and check the power steering fluid level. Oil ought to be between the two marks. If it isn't, add ATF + 4 transmission fluid until it is between the two marks, you might be lucky and just be low on fluid.
Have no idea what you mean by hiccups.
Old 31 Dec 2014, 08:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Wouldn't there be a drip underneath if it was leaking fluid? Sorry I haven't got the change to get out and look at the level yet because I just read this post. One of the things I did do was look underneath it last night to see if there was anything leaking and it's dry as a bone under the car. Does the fluid get lost while driving, and burn off? I had a car once with a cracked cylinder head that never leaked anything so I learned the mysteries of why the coolant reservoir had to be refilled every day.

Will check back and report. Although it's getting dark and scary because it's New Year's Eve which means a lot of partying and random shooting. Nobody in this neighborhood can afford fireworks, lol. But apparently they can afford bullets! The revelry began last year as soon as it was dark, otherwise known as "it's time to duck and cover".
It can be a very slow leak, that over time lowered the level, so doesn't drip steadily. Won't know 'till you look at level. If that's it, continue to monitor it, and you can judge for yourself how bad leak is and immediacy of getting leak fixed.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 31 Dec 2014, 08:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Thank you, I will be checking that ASAP.

The hiccups referred to the sound the car used to make, little electrical jumps when the a/c turned on, or the lights turned on then they would sometimes flicker, at the same time the car would make weird surging noises. Thought it would resolve with new plugs/wires but it didn't. I can only assume the guy who changed them out did the job right, but there's always the chance that maybe he didn't.
Well, the hiccups are gone anyway, right?

Old 01 Jan 2015, 09:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

The "good news" is I just checked it cold, and it barely reaches to the bottom of the stick when checking on the cold side of the dipstick. Did it twice, to make sure.

Guess the "bad news" will be a leak somewhere. I found a reputable mechanic a couple of miles away, at least he's reputable according to three people I know so I think I'll take it in and have all the hoses checked for leaks. I'll mention the pressure switch to him.

Before that, I'll add fluid. Since it's a holiday, nothing is really open that's close by that sells auto equipment and I don't like driving without all its fluids. I didn't have a problem driving WITHOUT knowing it, but now that it's known I don't want to push my luck. Or have to push the car.

Thanks, and Happy New Year

Quote: