PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT GT Rough idle

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Dec 2014, 03:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry PT GT Rough idle

Hey guys, I'm getting error codes P0300 & P0304 (Engine misfire & Cylinder 4 misfire) but I'm not too sure what is causing this? The engine runs fine, no knocks or anything but I do notice it hiccups at times when going past 3k rpms (at full throttle) but when slowly easing into each gear it goes through 3k without "hiccuping". The car drives fine on the highway or anytime the vehicle is in motion, but when the car is idling at a stop light it has a rough idle almost like a surging idle? The engine light blinks but stops as soon as I get the car going again. The car also sucks up a lot of gas. Any ideas on what could be causing this? I've recently replaced head gaskets, ignition coil, spark plugs and the wires a month ago to "fix" this but it has not been fixed. I've tried different fuel system cleaners, gas cleaners, etc to fix it but no success. Any ideas on what could cause such problems?
Old 31 Dec 2014, 06:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT GT Rough idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravelment View Post
Hey guys, I'm getting error codes P0300 & P0304 (Engine misfire & Cylinder 4 misfire) but I'm not too sure what is causing this? The engine runs fine, no knocks or anything but I do notice it hiccups at times when going past 3k rpms (at full throttle) but when slowly easing into each gear it goes through 3k without "hiccuping". The car drives fine on the highway or anytime the vehicle is in motion, but when the car is idling at a stop light it has a rough idle almost like a surging idle? The engine light blinks but stops as soon as I get the car going again. The car also sucks up a lot of gas. Any ideas on what could be causing this? I've recently replaced head gaskets, ignition coil, spark plugs and the wires a month ago to "fix" this but it has not been fixed. I've tried different fuel system cleaners, gas cleaners, etc to fix it but no success. Any ideas on what could cause such problems?
Did you run a compression test. Or check the valves for good seat. You might move the #4 inlector to another location to see if it is the problem.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 Dec 2014, 07:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Might be an intake gasket leak - spray starting fluid along intake manifold seams - if idle smooths out, you have an intake gasket leak.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Jan 2015, 12:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Did you run a compression test. Or check the valves for good seat. You might move the #4 inlector to another location to see if it is the problem.
I've not run a compression test, or valves. Will put it to my to do list, but I have switched the injectors around, codes still stay with the 4th cylinder. Thanks for responding and happy new year!
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 01 Jan 2015, 12:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Might be an intake gasket leak - spray starting fluid along intake manifold seams - if idle smooths out, you have an intake gasket leak.
Might have to try this too! Do you the turbo could be an issue too? Thanks for the response and happy new year!
Old 01 Jan 2015, 12:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Might have to try this too! Do you the turbo could be an issue too? Thanks for the response and happy new year!
Turbo not involved here. Hopefully the intake gaskets will yield a fix. Happy New year to you also.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Jan 2015, 02:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking the hose for the pcv valve to intake. The hose gets rotten and sometimes has a hole in it at the elbow.
Old 01 Jan 2015, 01:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest checking the hose for the pcv valve to intake. The hose gets rotten and sometimes has a hole in it at the elbow.
Not sure which hoes that is but I'll go through all of them! Thanks for the reply and happy new year!
Old 01 Jan 2015, 01:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Turbo not involved here. Hopefully the intake gaskets will yield a fix. Happy New year to you also.
That's very awesome to hear, you don't even know! I will get these components checked and or replaced! Once again thanks!
Old 01 Jan 2015, 01:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The first clue here is the P0300 DTC and not so much the P0304 at the beginning stages of searching for the problem.

*I suggest to clear the DTC using a scan tool and retest for DTC at the diagnostic port.
I would also recommend not to continue to replace or swap parts around *until you do so. You may be creating problems not already their.

The P0300 is a generic ignition trouble code that relates to just about anything that makes the engine run.