PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Question about check engine lights/codes and general maintenance

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jan 2015, 08:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Question about check engine lights/codes and general maintenance

Shouldn't the CEL come on if there's (almost) no steering fluid in it? If there's no light, is it safe to continue operating the vehicle knowing there's (almost) none in there?

It's making me wonder what other kinds of issues folks have had with their cars without benefit of a CEL. What should I be checking, that the system might not be checking with a sensor?

I looked to make sure there were no blown fuses in the door under the dash thinking that could be one thing that can prevent sensors from functioning properly, and they are all OK. Other than that, is there anything I can do to prevent a system from failing without notice? Change all the fuses anyway?

Besides regular maintenance (oil changes with 14 pt "service") -- which I just had done at the end of October -- the tech checked off "OK" on all the levels. Not "suggested" or "required". Including steering fluid, just as they have done every other time. Should I assume they really don't check anything? I also found the coolant reservoir was low the day before checking the steering fluid, and considering it has been driven less than 1000 miles since the last service and there's no leak underneath the car should I suspect aliens are siphoning all my fluids?
Old 02 Jan 2015, 08:47 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Question about check engine lights/codes and general maintenance

Assume they don't check or do what they say.. I was in a rush and went to wally mart, grease filter and oil...
Happen to get under the car a day later and as far a grease they wiped some grease on the side of 1 fitting, the rest had dirt still on them.
I mentioned it to a friend of mine in FL. and he told me a nother frien of his was charged for a new filter and happend to check it a few days latter and it looked they forgot to change it.. Next time I call state police.. Theft.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 02 Jan 2015, 09:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Wow Joe. You're probably lucky they didn't grease it, because they probably didn't know exactly where to put the grease. Wish I could say it was Wally World where I get my regular service done, it's a large national chain that has a "FIXED RIGHT GUARANTEE" on the back of the invoice. I could drive there to get them to make it right, but without coolant and steering fluid, not sure I should risk making the distance. My forehead must be stamped "Certified Idiot" for driving 20 miles to get "service" just to end up getting hosed. Live and learn ... that's a good idea, to call the state police. Next time I'll take a video under the hood before handing it over, and then after the tech hands the keys back, take another video. Then dial 911.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
Assume they don't check or do what they say.. I was in a rush and went to wally mart, grease filter and oil...
Happen to get under the car a day later and as far a grease they wiped some grease on the side of 1 fitting, the rest had dirt still on them.
I mentioned it to a friend of mine in FL. and he told me a nother frien of his was charged for a new filter and happend to check it a few days latter and it looked they forgot to change it.. Next time I call state police.. Theft.

Last edited by CruisingBlind; 02 Jan 2015 at 09:14 am. Reason: now you got me humming "those were the days, my friend"
Old 02 Jan 2015, 09:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
Should make a small inconspicuous mark on the filter before you go to be sure. Or do your business somewhere you trust. And report to corporate.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Jan 2015, 12:42 pm
Banned

I usually assume the worst, but that's because of my pessimistic nature. I used a Chrysler dealership several times, for some work and they had their "free" multi-point inspection. They always checked off that the rear brakes (drums) were ok. I wondered how they checked them since I had the wheel lock key with me in their waiting room? I also mark each rim before rotation so that I can tell if they are rotated in the manner that I request (forward cross). I once found a shop that broke a wheel lock, because they used air wrenches to put the wheels back on, but they didn't tell me they broke a lock. I found it when I pulled around the corner from the shop to check the wheel lug nut torque. I promptly went back to the shop and had them remove it and replace the locks at their expense. Had I not found it and was stuck somewhere with a flat tire, there would have been no way that I would have been able to get the broken lock off.
Old 02 Jan 2015, 12:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingBlind View Post
Shouldn't the CEL come on if there's (almost) no steering fluid in it? If there's no light, is it safe to continue operating the vehicle knowing there's (almost) none in there?

It's making me wonder what other kinds of issues folks have had with their cars without benefit of a CEL. What should I be checking, that the system might not be checking with a sensor?

I looked to make sure there were no blown fuses in the door under the dash thinking that could be one thing that can prevent sensors from functioning properly, and they are all OK. Other than that, is there anything I can do to prevent a system from failing without notice? Change all the fuses anyway?

Besides regular maintenance (oil changes with 14 pt "service") -- which I just had done at the end of October -- the tech checked off "OK" on all the levels. Not "suggested" or "required". Including steering fluid, just as they have done every other time. Should I assume they really don't check anything? I also found the coolant reservoir was low the day before checking the steering fluid, and considering it has been driven less than 1000 miles since the last service and there's no leak underneath the car should I suspect aliens are siphoning all my fluids?
There is also a set of fuses under the hood by air cleaner - check those.
You should not rely on indicator lights to monitor fluid levels.
Not defending the place you took it to, but if coolant was low when you looked at it cold, it could easily have been okay if it was looked at when car was warm. (that's why there are cold and hot lines)

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Jan 2015, 01:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingBlind View Post
Wow Joe. You're probably lucky they didn't grease it, because they probably didn't know exactly where to put the grease. Wish I could say it was Wally World where I get my regular service done, it's a large national chain that has a "FIXED RIGHT GUARANTEE" on the back of the invoice. I could drive there to get them to make it right, but without coolant and steering fluid, not sure I should risk making the distance. My forehead must be stamped "Certified Idiot" for driving 20 miles to get "service" just to end up getting hosed. Live and learn ... that's a good idea, to call the state police. Next time I'll take a video under the hood before handing it over, and then after the tech hands the keys back, take another video. Then dial 911.
I would suggest getting taking a video of that days newspaper to verify the date of the video before taking it in for repairs. This way they can't say the video was taken days before.
Old 02 Jan 2015, 02:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I usually assume the worst, but that's because of my pessimistic nature. I used a Chrysler dealership several times, for some work and they had their "free" multi-point inspection. They always checked off that the rear brakes (drums) were ok. I wondered how they checked them since I had the wheel lock key with me in their waiting room? I also mark each rim before rotation so that I can tell if they are rotated in the manner that I request (forward cross). I once found a shop that broke a wheel lock, because they used air wrenches to put the wheels back on, but they didn't tell me they broke a lock. I found it when I pulled around the corner from the shop to check the wheel lug nut torque. I promptly went back to the shop and had them remove it and replace the locks at their expense. Had I not found it and was stuck somewhere with a flat tire, there would have been no way that I would have been able to get the broken lock off.
Don't need the wheel off. There are rubber inspection plugs that can be pulled and observe the thickness of the shoe.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Jan 2015, 02:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I take it most of you that are complaining about not getting the service that the maintenance place said they did have never seen the reports on 8 out of 10 auto shops don't do what they say or try and do things like darken the trans/rear end fluid to say that it desperately needs changing. The "not" removing the oil filter, sometimes touching it to get greasy finger marks on it so it looks like someone changed it, is probably the oldest trick these shops do. Saves the shops couple bucks and charges the car owner more than the filter is worth.

How To Spot A Shady Auto Mechanic - The Allstate Blog

Top Auto Repair Shop Scams To Avoid
CruisingBlind likes this.
Old 02 Jan 2015, 03:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Question about check engine lights/codes and general maintenance

Although you can "call da police"!....the best results are by contacting a TV station; and the state Attorney General's Office.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!