PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Acceleration Issues?

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jan 2015, 09:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Acceleration Issues?

Hey there! I'm new so if this has been answered already I am sorry, I didn't see anything like it anywhere.

I have a 2007 PT Cruiser, Touring Edition with just over 70k. I bought it just over a month ago, has been great but something happened Wednesday and last night that is bothering me. Drove approx 80miles on HWY 24 to my moms house, pulled off my exit to a stoplight and stopped. Once it turned green I went to accelerate and my pedal was almost sticky, and then it jumped and revved and accelerated quickly and continued to do it until I got to the house and turned the car off. I thought my floor mat was sticking under my pedal so I moved it to my back seat, away from the pedal. Drove to grocery store (through 2 lights) and no issues, yay it's fixed, or so I thought. Drove it around town that night and yesterDAY and was fine. Drove back the 80 miles to my house and once I got off my exit and it started doing the exact same thing.

Both times I did use cruise control for a period of the drive, but I am at a loss as to what this could be and am a little scared to drive it even though it was fine today. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Is this something that I need to take to the mechanic today, or just watch? Thanks!
thecabinguy likes this.
Old 02 Jan 2015, 09:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Acceleration Issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCCOInMyPT View Post
Hey there! I'm new so if this has been answered already I am sorry, I didn't see anything like it anywhere.

I have a 2007 PT Cruiser, Touring Edition with just over 70k. I bought it just over a month ago, has been great but something happened Wednesday and last night that is bothering me. Drove approx 80miles on HWY 24 to my moms house, pulled off my exit to a stoplight and stopped. Once it turned green I went to accelerate and my pedal was almost sticky, and then it jumped and revved and accelerated quickly and continued to do it until I got to the house and turned the car off. I thought my floor mat was sticking under my pedal so I moved it to my back seat, away from the pedal. Drove to grocery store (through 2 lights) and no issues, yay it's fixed, or so I thought. Drove it around town that night and yesterDAY and was fine. Drove back the 80 miles to my house and once I got off my exit and it started doing the exact same thing.

Both times I did use cruise control for a period of the drive, but I am at a loss as to what this could be and am a little scared to drive it even though it was fine today. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Is this something that I need to take to the mechanic today, or just watch? Thanks!
Check the throttle body to dee if shaft or blade hanging. Lub the pivot points and a little on the cables. Clean the throttle body with some spray carb cleaner. These would be the most likely issues. If that doesn't help. Look at the gas peddle end and see if you need to do something there.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Jan 2015, 09:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you! I haven't even made my first payment and was starting to get worried! I'll try this and go from there.
Old 02 Jan 2015, 09:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Thank you! I haven't even made my first payment and was starting to get worried! I'll try this and go from there.
Is it sticking and suddenly pops loose and you push it to far when this happens?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Jan 2015, 10:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

No, i pressing down like normal, and it starts slow and guns (from 1rpm to about 2\2.5rpm) with no additional pressure on the accelerator.
Old 02 Jan 2015, 10:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
No, i pressing down like normal, and it starts slow and guns (from 1rpm to about 2\2.5rpm) with no additional pressure on the accelerator.
Try the stuff i said can't hurt. But I will give this some more thought. Almost sounds like pushing resume on the cruise. but you didn;t say you did that.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Jan 2015, 10:25 am
Cool Cruiser

a friend of mine had a bonneville that did the same thing. it was the cruise control. i would try taking a trip without the cruise and see if it happens again. sounds like it may just be the cruise control has a problem. the bonneville ran on vacuum and one of the lines had a leak. not sure how ours is controlled but that's just my opinion and experience. thanks.

2005 Purple Pt Touring 130k Still Running Strong

New timing belt and water pump at 130k.
Old 02 Jan 2015, 12:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeApe View Post
a friend of mine had a bonneville that did the same thing. it was the cruise control. i would try taking a trip without the cruise and see if it happens again. sounds like it may just be the cruise control has a problem. the bonneville ran on vacuum and one of the lines had a leak. not sure how ours is controlled but that's just my opinion and experience. thanks.
I agree symptoms do sound like cruise - I think there's a fuse for cruise - pull that to be sure it cannot engage and see.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Jan 2015, 03:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Acceleration Issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Check the throttle body to dee if shaft or blade hanging. Lub the pivot points and a little on the cables. Clean the throttle body with some spray carb cleaner. These would be the most likely issues. If that doesn't help. Look at the gas peddle end and see if you need to do something there.
Yup! This would be the first thing to check.
Last fall, I popped-in the painted intake modesty cover for a show, and disturbed the throttle cables or a connection.
The next time I started her, she was reving out of control; tapping the pedal did nothing to change that.
Shut her off quickly; checked all connections; and worked the throttle body cables a little; all has been good since.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 02 Jan 2015, 04:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

I would take off the cable cover off and work the throttle body by hand to see if was binding. But I would look for air leak around the throttle body too. Especially the air intake flex pipe..
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh