Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power Steering Belt tensioner pulley problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jan 2015, 06:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Angry Power Steering Belt tensioner pulley problems

We are having problems with the power steering belt, it's about a 16th of a inch to an 8th of a inch away from going over the tensioner, we can get one side of the belt onto the tensioner but then the other side is about that distance away then, we drew the harmonic balancer in as far as it will go we can't get the bolt to turn anymore with the breaker bar so it's gotta be in all the way now. I don't know what is going on this time around because we had that belt on before with no problems but this time we are having problems and I looked about 4 times to make sure everything was lined up and it looked good to me. We have the power steering pump tight in place the ac compressor is tight we never touched that at all, we never touched the tensioner pulley at all either. Could there be a possibility that the power steering pump went on crooked or something?
Old 03 Jan 2015, 06:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Power Steering Belt tensioner pulley problems

Are you sure your routing the belt the correct way around all the pulleys. If everything is correct, when the tensioner is pulled up, the serpentine belt should have plenty of room to pull over the pulleys.

Old 03 Jan 2015, 06:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Any way to take a pic of the routing of the belt?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Jan 2015, 07:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Any way to take a pic of the routing of the belt?
I feel really stupid right now, we were trying to put the belt on some totally other way that wasn't even the right way, I can't believe we forgot the right way of putting that belt on I just did that one not too long ago. We were trying to put the belt on top of the tensioner pulley instead of it going on the right side of the pulley. Sorry guys for that. But thanks again for helping.

Last edited by Bandit2014; 03 Jan 2015 at 07:11 pm.
Old 03 Jan 2015, 07:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit2014 View Post
I could try but might be difficult to get a good shot of it. Do you think the Harmonic Balancer has to go in further yet by chance?
If it is bottomed out on the crank and you're lined up like Crewzin diagram. And you're on the front pulley groove of the balancer you should have no issues.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Jan 2015, 07:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Are you sure your routing the belt the correct way around all the pulleys. If everything is correct, when the tensioner is pulled up, the serpentine belt should have plenty of room to pull over the pulleys.

I feel really stupid right now, we were trying to put the belt on some totally other way that wasn't even the right way, I can't believe we forgot the right way of putting that belt on I just did that one not too long ago. We were trying to put the belt on top of the tensioner pulley instead of it going on the right side of the pulley. Sorry guys for that. But thanks again for helping.

Last edited by Bandit2014; 03 Jan 2015 at 07:29 pm.
Old 03 Jan 2015, 07:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
As long as you got it that's all that matters.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Jan 2015, 07:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's been done before even with the timing belt. That's why Busted asked you to take a pic. Glad you got it straightened out.
Old 04 Jan 2015, 12:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

Is there a proper way to remove the air out of the power steering lines? I found some info on how to but don't know if it's correct or not, I found that one way is to keep turning the tires right to left all the way until the whining noise goes away and the bubbles inside the power steering reservoir are gone too. Is that the only way to do it or is there a correct way to do it without making it do that whining noise? I'm afraid that that way would ruin the pump but I don't know, the book don't say how to do it either.
Old 04 Jan 2015, 12:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Is there a proper way to remove the air out of the power steering lines? I found some info on how to but don't know if it's correct or not, I found that one way is to keep turning the tires right to left all the way until the whining noise goes away and the bubbles inside the power steering reservoir are gone too. Is that the only way to do it or is there a correct way to do it without making it do that whining noise? I'm afraid that that way would ruin the pump but I don't know, the book don't say how to do it either.

This will work just fine...some say to jack up the car 1st...but I've done it with the car on the ground. just remember to remove the cap before you start.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost