PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Won't start now won't shutoff

 
Like Tree2Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2015, 10:35 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6
Default Won't start now won't shutoff

Hi
Not a newbie but back on site.
Problem is 2001 PT would not start, dash lights would stay on Check Engine,Brake, Alarm lite. Would not start. Also alarm went off by it self. Pulled battery cable it started. Had codes P1684, P1685, battery disconnect, and did not Recognize key. Used my two keys. Now at times it will not shutoff. Pulled ASD Relay, shuts down and goes back to normal. Has done this more than once???
Williamfrog
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2015, 12:28 pm
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: Won't start now won't shutoff

My bet is your ignition switch is failing. When it won't start, try jiggling/pushing in on key to confirm it's switch.
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2015, 01:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,321
Default Re: Won't start now won't shutoff

Have you had anything done to the PT Cruiser before the issue with no start condition?
How long ago was the battery replaced? Have you checked the battery fluid level in the battery. On my PT Cruisers I have been checking the battery every 2 months. The PT Cruisers are sensitive to voltage drops.
Do you have a remote starter on your PT Cruiser?
Do you have any aftermarket alarm system on your PT Cruiser?
Do you have a red dot light come up and stay on when it won't start?
Have you had any wiring repaired before the problem started?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 04 Jan 2015 at 01:17 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2015, 01:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,321
Default Re: Won't start now won't shutoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
My bet is your ignition switch is failing. When it won't start, try jiggling/pushing in on key to confirm it's switch.

Don, Why do you think it might be the ignition switch if it starts after pulling the battery cable?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2015, 01:38 pm
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: Won't start now won't shutoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Don, Why do you think it might be the ignition switch if it starts after pulling the battery cable?
I don't think puling battery cable has anything to do with it - what else could allow it to keep running after shutting off except a bad switch?
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2015, 01:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,321
Default Re: Won't start now won't shutoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
I don't think puling battery cable has anything to do with it - what else could allow it to keep running after shutting off except a bad switch?
Don, you need to read the clue "did not Recognize key". Have you had this happen to you? I have had similar problems.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 04 Jan 2015 at 01:54 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2015, 01:53 pm
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: Won't start now won't shutoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Don, you need to read the clue "did not Recognize key". Have you had this happen to you? I have had it happen to me.
That could cause no start, but does it cause no stop???
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2015, 02:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,321
Default Re: Won't start now won't shutoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamfrog View Post
Hi
Not a newbie but back on site.
Problem is 2001 PT would not start, dash lights would stay on Check Engine,Brake, Alarm lite. Would not start. Also alarm went off by it self. Pulled battery cable it started. Had codes P1684, P1685, battery disconnect, and did not Recognize key. Used my two keys. Now at times it will not shutoff. Pulled ASD Relay, shuts down and goes back to normal. Has done this more than once???
Williamfrog
The statement in bold letters - Is the engine not shutting off when you take the key out of the ignition switch or is it the alarm is not shutting off when you take the key out of the ignition switch?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2015, 02:08 pm
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: Won't start now won't shutoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
The statement in bold letters - Is the engine not shutting off when you take the key out of the ignition switch or is it the alarm is not shutting off when you take the key out of the ignition switch?
That is an excellent question.

I read it that engine keeps running.
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 04 Jan 2015 at 02:16 pm. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2015, 05:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6
Default Re: Won't start now won't shutoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Have you had anything done to the PT Cruiser before the issue with no start condition?
How long ago was the battery replaced? Have you checked the battery fluid level in the battery. On my PT Cruisers I have been checking the battery every 2 months. The PT Cruisers are sensitive to voltage drops.
Do you have a remote starter on your PT Cruiser?
Do you have any aftermarket alarm system on your PT Cruiser?
Do you have a red dot light come up and stay on when it won't start?
Have you had any wiring repaired before the problem started?
Nothing done
New Battery
No remote start
Factory Alarm
Red dot yes
No wiring repair
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PT Random Engine Shutoff KrisPTCruiser Tech & Performance Forum 6 01 Jun 2016 02:06 am
Will not start Eculv Tech & Performance Forum 3 09 Nov 2013 06:04 am
2002 Engine Shutoff? j_desan General PT Cruiser Discussions 5 25 Mar 2010 08:07 am
car didn't start in the cold, got jumped then was a bubbling sound and won't start Saqqara Tech & Performance Forum 1 15 Dec 2009 06:35 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors