Won't start now won't shutoff

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jan 2015, 10:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Won't start now won't shutoff

Hi
Not a newbie but back on site.
Problem is 2001 PT would not start, dash lights would stay on Check Engine,Brake, Alarm lite. Would not start. Also alarm went off by it self. Pulled battery cable it started. Had codes P1684, P1685, battery disconnect, and did not Recognize key. Used my two keys. Now at times it will not shutoff. Pulled ASD Relay, shuts down and goes back to normal. Has done this more than once???
Williamfrog
Old 04 Jan 2015, 12:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Won't start now won't shutoff

My bet is your ignition switch is failing. When it won't start, try jiggling/pushing in on key to confirm it's switch.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Jan 2015, 01:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Have you had anything done to the PT Cruiser before the issue with no start condition?
How long ago was the battery replaced? Have you checked the battery fluid level in the battery. On my PT Cruisers I have been checking the battery every 2 months. The PT Cruisers are sensitive to voltage drops.
Do you have a remote starter on your PT Cruiser?
Do you have any aftermarket alarm system on your PT Cruiser?
Do you have a red dot light come up and stay on when it won't start?
Have you had any wiring repaired before the problem started?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 04 Jan 2015 at 01:17 pm.
Old 04 Jan 2015, 01:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
My bet is your ignition switch is failing. When it won't start, try jiggling/pushing in on key to confirm it's switch.

Don, Why do you think it might be the ignition switch if it starts after pulling the battery cable?
Old 04 Jan 2015, 01:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Don, Why do you think it might be the ignition switch if it starts after pulling the battery cable?
I don't think puling battery cable has anything to do with it - what else could allow it to keep running after shutting off except a bad switch?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 04 Jan 2015, 01:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
I don't think puling battery cable has anything to do with it - what else could allow it to keep running after shutting off except a bad switch?
Don, you need to read the clue "did not Recognize key". Have you had this happen to you? I have had similar problems.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 04 Jan 2015 at 01:54 pm.
Old 04 Jan 2015, 01:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Don, you need to read the clue "did not Recognize key". Have you had this happen to you? I have had it happen to me.
That could cause no start, but does it cause no stop???

Old 04 Jan 2015, 02:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamfrog View Post
Hi
Not a newbie but back on site.
Problem is 2001 PT would not start, dash lights would stay on Check Engine,Brake, Alarm lite. Would not start. Also alarm went off by it self. Pulled battery cable it started. Had codes P1684, P1685, battery disconnect, and did not Recognize key. Used my two keys. Now at times it will not shutoff. Pulled ASD Relay, shuts down and goes back to normal. Has done this more than once???
Williamfrog
The statement in bold letters - Is the engine not shutting off when you take the key out of the ignition switch or is it the alarm is not shutting off when you take the key out of the ignition switch?
Old 04 Jan 2015, 02:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
The statement in bold letters - Is the engine not shutting off when you take the key out of the ignition switch or is it the alarm is not shutting off when you take the key out of the ignition switch?
That is an excellent question.

I read it that engine keeps running.

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 04 Jan 2015 at 02:16 pm. Reason: clarification
Old 04 Jan 2015, 05:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Have you had anything done to the PT Cruiser before the issue with no start condition?
How long ago was the battery replaced? Have you checked the battery fluid level in the battery. On my PT Cruisers I have been checking the battery every 2 months. The PT Cruisers are sensitive to voltage drops.
Do you have a remote starter on your PT Cruiser?
Do you have any aftermarket alarm system on your PT Cruiser?
Do you have a red dot light come up and stay on when it won't start?
Have you had any wiring repaired before the problem started?
Nothing done
New Battery
No remote start
Factory Alarm
Red dot yes
No wiring repair