2005 PT Cruiser won't start, Please help

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jan 2015, 07:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 PT Cruiser won't start, Please help

I have a 2005 PT Cruiser with just a little over 80,000 miles. I have had the car for over two years and have continually had problems with it.

I have changed almost everything possible in this car. It has been to the Chrysler dealership for repairs and a private mechanic. They both changed all kinds of things on the car, everything from the starter to the timing belt.

The car just died on my husband the other day after he put on a new starter relay and we had to tow it home. When I put the key in and try to start it all I get is a clicking noise. The starter is new so I know it isn't that. My husband put a new battery in and nothing. It won't even start with being jumped from another vehicle. The lights and radio will come on when I put the key in and try to start but nothing from the motor.

Please help. We are at a loss as to what to do with the car.

Thanks!!
Old 06 Jan 2015, 08:39 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 PT Cruiser won't start, Please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfischer59 View Post
I have a 2005 PT Cruiser with just a little over 80,000 miles. I have had the car for over two years and have continually had problems with it.

I have changed almost everything possible in this car. It has been to the Chrysler dealership for repairs and a private mechanic. They both changed all kinds of things on the car, everything from the starter to the timing belt.

The car just died on my husband the other day after he put on a new starter relay and we had to tow it home. When I put the key in and try to start it all I get is a clicking noise. The starter is new so I know it isn't that. My husband put a new battery in and nothing. It won't even start with being jumped from another vehicle. The lights and radio will come on when I put the key in and try to start but nothing from the motor.

Please help. We are at a loss as to what to do with the car.

Thanks!!
Fred Flintstone had the only car that didn't need parts replaced

Welcome to the forum

Clicking could be from relay or starter
Open the hood and have hubby stand in front of car ( Pull Parking brake on) and you try to start the car. If the clicking is coming from the front behind the radiator, that would be the starter. Check positive and negative cables , make sure they are clean and tight on both ends. Even new "NEW" starter could be bad, 80,000 miles on a starter? I'm thinking the cables are bad.

Keep in mind that you are due for a timing belt belt maintenance which includes timing belt, tensioner, water pump, idler. Although 100,000 miles is target, I've also read 5 years as expected life. (about 600 before it breaks possibly double after it breaks)

Where ya from? What has your mechanics replaced?
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 06 Jan 2015, 08:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If the dash lights continue to burn bright while you are trying to start it, then there is a strong indication the starter is bad.

Just because the starter was replaced doesn't mean it is good. If they installed a rebuilt starter, it may have not been properly reconditioned. And since you mention a starter relay being recently changed, then there must have been other starter issues after the new starter was installed. And the reason I asked about the dash lights is because that is an indication of having a good battery connection. If there is a loose connection, the dome and/or dash lights will often go completely out while trying to crank the engine. And then they often come back on after the key is released. If the lights remain on and bright, it often means the battery connection is okay, but not always.

I know you don't work on your car yourself. But here is what I would do if I knew no more than you just described. I would first remove the battery and take it to a local parts store like Autozone to have it tested and make sure it is fully charged. Autozone, Advance and a few other parts stores will do this for free. Once I knew the battery was 100%, I would reinstall and try again. If I still only get a click and all connections are good, I would use a set of jumper cables to wire the starter directly to the battery. With the key turned off to help protect the electronics, I would then try to make the starter turn over the engine with the jumper cables attached directly to the starter and battery. This effectively isolates the starter and eliminates the other variables except for the starter itself. Also note that it often takes very good jumper cables to do this.

If the starter easy and quickly makes the engine turn over, then I know it is good and my problem is somewhere else with the a likely issue being the positive battery cable between the battery and the starter.

If I still only get a click, I would then remove the starter and take it to a local parts store to have it tested. Again, this is free and it will usually detect a bad starter.

Beyond this, the very best advice we can likely give is to find yourself a better mechanic. Ideally, I would look for a small shop run be someone very familiar Daimler Chrysler vehicles. And you might discuss with him or her about the items others and I describe in this thread. A good way to find such a mechanic is to ask the folks at the local parts stores.
JoeX likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 06 Jan 2015 at 08:49 am.
Old 06 Jan 2015, 09:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking the neutral switch if its a automatic transmission or check the clutch pedal switch if its a manual transmission.
Where did you get the starter?
When you tried to start it with jumping it with another car did you let charge up for a few minutes? If you turn on the headlights when jumping it with another car and try starting the car does the headlights dim or go completely out?
Is there a red dot that stays on on the dash when you try starting the PT Cruiser?
JoeX likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 06 Jan 2015 at 09:23 am.
Old 06 Jan 2015, 11:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There's a recent thread here of someone who had several bad "reconditioned" starters - if the starter that was replaced was "reconditioned" and not new, that would be an excellent place to start.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Tags
pt cruiser 2005, pt cruiser broke, pt cruiser help, pt cruiser won't start