Advertisements
2ltr turbo

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bluebird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jan 2015, 05:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2ltr turbo

Hi there, im from UK and Im about to pick up another PT on Sunday, but as the title suggests its had a Custom turbo fitted, I know we dont get the GT turbo model in the UK because of it being RHD instead of LHD and that interfere's with the position of the Turbo, (sad story) I havnt seen another 2ltr been turbo'd before and I have no info on this one as the owner at the moment bought it as a insurance fix,so he doesnt know any more than I do,besides it Pulls like a train.

more to my question,do you guys have any idea if the 2ltr engines are ok to handle it? its got 59k on the clock and seems like it was done ages ago,just want to find out what to expect and what Boost is a safe amount to use it at?

I will add more info on the turbo and that once I recieve it,and proberly get it on the Dyno to see if its actually coping with the turbo,I wouldnt want to get silly amounts out of it,mabye just over 200bhp would be enough for me as its still alot more than the 143bhp that comes out the factory,any more info or questions would be greatly appretiated
Old 06 Jan 2015, 06:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2ltr turbo

Quite a find.
I can't answer your questions, but would recommend you use a good synthetic oil in it as synthetic oils can take higher temps.
What does "insurance fix" mean - it was in an accident?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Jan 2015, 06:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi there yes it was in a slight accident,and insurance wrote it off,owner said he only had to replace the rear bumper and "interior light" no idea what that has to do with the accident though,so nothing to do with the front or engine at all.
I will be making sure once I receive it to give it a good service,as I personally dont trust the "oh I serviced it a month ago" seller, the person who fixed it didnt even know it had the turbo until he received the vehicle,nice surprise
Old 06 Jan 2015, 06:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I would love to see some pictures!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 06 Jan 2015, 06:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

Please post some photos and describe what modifications were done to your car. It sounds very interesting.

PS: There's a right-hand drive 2.0 turbo PT on YouTube. But no real go images of the engine mods.

Old 07 Jan 2015, 02:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

I will definitely get some photos of the engine up and add some more info once I recieve the car on sunday
Old 16 Jan 2015, 04:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Had a look at that engine bay in the video and it looks NA to me,I have the car in my hands now so I can get some proper photos and find out what steps to take next,what I have gatherd so far,it's not much sorry as I'm still new to the turbo side of things,is its using a t3 flange turbo,will be trying to find out its number when I can get under the car,it doesn't have a gasket on the flange so a massive exhaust leak there.
There is NO intercooler on the system at all which I find very wierd,so I'll have to start looking at how I'm gonna sort that,might use A universal one,cheaper that importing on of the U.S. Gt models.
The obd port itself isn't working at all,doesn't read that it's plugged into anything when I try to scan,I'm guessing it's maybe got to do with a piggy back ECU,as I don't know how the stock ECU will know it's got a turbo without one,engine itself still sounds and feels great, drove 3 hours to get it home without a single niggle, even with this kit being on it for many years.
Though the previous owner(not the guy that did all the turbo stuff) had the car dyno'd and it's only giving stock 142bhp with abit more than stock torque, I can only guess,well hopefully it's down to all these small things.
I will try get a boost gauge this weekend to see if it even has any boost going through it,as it's definitely been neglected,the flange nuts where loose aswell...

Again will try get pics up asap and hopefully You guys would be able to tell me what needs to be sorted
Old 16 Jan 2015, 05:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

sounds pretty cool you knwo some of the eariler Dodge Cumming turbo trucks did nto have a intercooler they had a pipe that crossed the engin and some how it was used as the intercooler
Old 16 Jan 2015, 05:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
Had a look at that engine bay in the video and it looks NA to me,I have the car in my hands now so I can get some proper photos and find out what steps to take next,what I have gatherd so far,it's not much sorry as I'm still new to the turbo side of things,is its using a t3 flange turbo,will be trying to find out its number when I can get under the car,it doesn't have a gasket on the flange so a massive exhaust leak there.
There is NO intercooler on the system at all which I find very wierd,so I'll have to start looking at how I'm gonna sort that,might use A universal one,cheaper that importing on of the U.S. Gt models.
The obd port itself isn't working at all,doesn't read that it's plugged into anything when I try to scan,I'm guessing it's maybe got to do with a piggy back ECU,as I don't know how the stock ECU will know it's got a turbo without one,engine itself still sounds and feels great, drove 3 hours to get it home without a single niggle, even with this kit being on it for many years.
Though the previous owner(not the guy that did all the turbo stuff) had the car dyno'd and it's only giving stock 142bhp with abit more than stock torque, I can only guess,well hopefully it's down to all these small things.
I will try get a boost gauge this weekend to see if it even has any boost going through it,as it's definitely been neglected,the flange nuts where loose aswell...

Again will try get pics up asap and hopefully You guys would be able to tell me what needs to be sorted
THAT should be very encouraging...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles