Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cold starting problems! Please help a soldier out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2015, 05:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs down Cold starting problems! Please help a soldier out

My 2001 PT Cruiser began having issues starting as soon as it got cold out. It would struggle to start, then shudder violently for a about 2 seconds and run fine. As soon as the temperature dipped below zero it struggles to start then fails, eventually killing the battery reducing it to a clicking sound. I tried jumping it. No dice. I tried a 2/10 amp schumacher battery charger all night. The dial says it's fully charged but now all I get is the clicking.

At this point I am in severe need of a cheap solution as this vehicle was my last chance to keep my job. Without it I can't even make it to drill this weekend. I don't have enough money to take it to a mechanic. I am praying there is a solution that I can try myself. Has anyone else dealt with this?
Old 07 Jan 2015, 06:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cold starting problems! Please help a soldier out

take the battery out have it tested and make sure the terminals are clean and not broken also checn to amke sure all the ground lines are hooked up all that will really show up when it getts cold
Old 07 Jan 2015, 06:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you. I'll try that. Where can I get it tested?
Old 07 Jan 2015, 07:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I just had my battery go out on my PT Cruiser. I didn't want to drive it 40 miles to the store where I bought so it I took it out of my car and charged the battery completely. Then I put it in the trunk of my wife's PT Cruiser and took it to the auto store. I watched while they checked the voltage first and it was 12.8 volts and then when they did the load test it came out bad. I got lucky but usually its a good idea to take the car to the auto store and have them do a load test on the battery with the battery in the car.

The only thing I can suggest is you check the battery fluid levels and see if they are low. If they are low you can fill it up and see if the battery recovers. Also check the both battery posts and terminals, make sure they are clean and making good contact.

If you try starting it with the headlights on does the headlights dim?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 07 Jan 2015 at 07:35 pm.
Old 07 Jan 2015, 07:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC_V View Post
Thank you. I'll try that. Where can I get it tested?
I believe Sears, WalMart, AdvanceAuto, AutoZone - all test for free - call ahead and make sure.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Jan 2015, 01:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I just had my battery go out on my PT Cruiser. I didn't want to drive it 40 miles to the store where I bought so it I took it out of my car and charged the battery completely. Then I put it in the trunk of my wife's PT Cruiser and took it to the auto store. I watched while they checked the voltage first and it was 12.8 volts and then when they did the load test it came out bad. I got lucky but usually its a good idea to take the car to the auto store and have them do a load test on the battery with the battery in the car.

The only thing I can suggest is you check the battery fluid levels and see if they are low. If they are low you can fill it up and see if the battery recovers. Also check the both battery posts and terminals, make sure they are clean and making good contact.

If you try starting it with the headlights on does the headlights dim?
I'm doing all of this on a very tight budget. I just sank the rest of my spending cash on transferring the plates and title. I just got the vehicle a couple of weeks ago and at the time I thought I got the better end of the deal.

As for the headlights dimming I hadn't thought to check as I've only really worked on it during the day. It has been around -14 for the last few nights. I'll check it out tomorrow though. I hear there are ways to restore bad cells. Any one else heard this?
Old 08 Jan 2015, 09:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Do you have the maintenance-free battery?
Old 08 Jan 2015, 10:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC_V View Post
I'm doing all of this on a very tight budget. I just sank the rest of my spending cash on transferring the plates and title. I just got the vehicle a couple of weeks ago and at the time I thought I got the better end of the deal.

As for the headlights dimming I hadn't thought to check as I've only really worked on it during the day. It has been around -14 for the last few nights. I'll check it out tomorrow though. I hear there are ways to restore bad cells. Any one else heard this?
At -14, you need a battery in good shape. I suspect yours is bad. Have you tried jumping it with another car?

One of the ways a battery dies is that particles from the chemical process of charging/discharging fall to the bottom of a cell, and when they pile up to the bottom of plates, they will short those plates - you are not going to restore those.

I suspect you need a new battery.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Jan 2015, 01:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Cold starting problems! Please help a soldier out

Yup!
With severe weather changes, the battery itself, and battery terminals being clean and in good contact is the #1 problem to look at.
All may batteries go out when it turns cold; or, when it hits 90s+ in the summer.

BTW - see this thread on oil weight recommendation for cold weather...that might put less stress on the battery.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...warm-up-3.html

(Always used a tank heater when I was in Minnesota....plugged her in at night!)

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 08 Jan 2015 at 01:52 pm.