PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing belt, Water Pump

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2015, 04:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing belt, Water Pump

When I got my 2003 2.4 non-turbo 2 years ago with 150,000 on it, I decided, not knowing the history of the car to replace the timing belt, so about a year and a half ago I bought the Dayco kit and replaced the timing belt and the recommended Water pump and assorted tensioner and idler pulleys.

Which brings us up to today, It appears as though the new Water Pump is leaking and I basically have to do the job all over again.

The car has gone about 6,000 miles since the Timing belt was replaced, would you,

1. Replace the timing belt and pulleys again with the water pump, just because Iím in there?
2. Just replace the Water pump?

Of course I would inspect the belt and all the other parts, I donít know what exposure to antifreeze and water will do to the belt and pulleys.

Replacing the Water Pump just because I was in there did not work out very good for me the first time around.

Iím almost considering putting the water Pump back in that I took out when I replaced the timing belt, it looked to be in Perfect condition.

Peter
Old 10 Jan 2015, 04:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing belt, Water Pump

I would go with a oe pump. Belt only if that. If you think it's been leaking long enough to worry you.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Jan 2015, 04:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would be certain it is the water pump leaking - leaks can often be hard to pinpoint.
If it is definitely the pump, clearly that needs replacing - inspect the pulleys and belt and then decide if they should stay or go.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Jan 2015, 05:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterbylt View Post
It appears as though the new Water Pump is leaking and I basically have to do the job all over again.
Peter
What brand water pump did you put in the PT Cruiser?
Old 10 Jan 2015, 06:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
What brand water pump did you put in the PT Cruiser?
The Water pump was Dayco, Or what ever they use it the all inclusive kit, with Timing belt, Water Pump, Idler and tensioner pulleys.

It was a rather high end kit, so it should have been a high end water pump.

Peter
Old 10 Jan 2015, 06:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Can you tell me where you got the Dayco Kit?
Old 11 Jan 2015, 12:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Can you tell me where you got the Dayco Kit?
Rock Auto
Old 11 Jan 2015, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

A life time water pump on a PT is worth less If it goes south less less time than the belt is good for. No one pays for labor. I have replace life time pumps in less than a year and 20k. Not what I want to go through on a PT.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Jan 2015, 11:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have not replaced the water pump or timing belt on my PT Cruisers yet but I have been reading posts and many recommend Gates for timing belt and a Mopar water pump and idler. Some posts indicate that the water pumps and the idler in some of the timing belt kits were from china and its hard to determine whether the bearings in the water pump are good quality or not. Even if you find an expensive timing belt kit I would find out where the water pump and idler was made from.
Old 11 Jan 2015, 12:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Some posts indicate that the water pumps and the idler in some of the timing belt kits were from china and its hard to determine whether the bearings in the water pump are good quality or not.
Steve, ALL aftermarket water pumps are made in China new or reman.

I bought a PT for $200 because of a failed Chinese pump!

The cheapest screw here- but I'll pay for a new Chrysler pump. Download the factory parts manual in this board's archive thread, then order an OE one on eBay- bypassing the Green teethed Chrysler parts men who will decide what you really want is a reman Chinese pump at $30 more than a new one.

I get 4694307AC or AF is the newest revision.

Mopar 4694307AC $75

eBay says it's been superseded to suffix 'AF.'.

Please look this up yourself, I could have been mistaken.

Sad to say, everything is going to China, soon our children will be sired there.