PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Nitro recomends an Oil Control Modifier

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jan 2015, 11:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Nitro recomends an Oil Control Modifier

This part has been wildly used for many years on different model Chrysler vehicles with 4 cylinder engines. It was designed to control the amount of oil to the head and specifically the valve-train components. It does not make additional horsepower as has been reported by many.

Chrysler did some engine changes regarding the Turbo Charged versions of their engines in various models. Here we are specifically talking about PT Cruisers Turbo Chraged engines. Some of those changes were piston skirt oil squirt lines, oil cooling lines and hoses to the Turbo Charger. With these a very high pressure oil pump was added to supply the oil and oil cooling upgrades.

The one problem with an engine driven high volume/ pressure oil pump is that as the engine speed increases so does the oil psi and the amount of oil pulled from the oil sump. (oil pan)
This extra oil can cause a parasitic drag on reciprocating parts of the engine. Not to mention have lots of un-wanted oil in the upper head and valve cover area which can also cause some interesting oiling issues.

The Oil control modifier reduces this problem by restricting and channeling the volume and oil pressure to the upper head and keeping more oil in the lower engine area where it is needed more.
The part itself is very easy to install during a valve cover gasket change and does not require any special tool or additional engine modification.

IMO a well worth investment of 20 bucks!

When you get your oil modifier make sure you careful examine it for machining left overs. A little 400g wet sanding can clean it up for the installation.

After cleaning up the part with 400g wet sand paper. I also decided to chamfer the holes. It is not necessary to do this but I have a habit of always improving everything.

Although it is not necessary I always measure anything that is installed into my engines.

myckee likes this.

Last edited by NitroPT; 12 Jan 2015 at 12:07 pm.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 11:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Nitro recomends an Oil Control Modifier

That's all there is to it!

From this point it all reverse installation of parts from the beginning of this easy to do project part installation.

Last edited by NitroPT; 12 Jan 2015 at 12:09 pm.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 12:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I can see if someone doesn't keep up with oil changes as they should this could become clogged a little easer. Ya, I know be we know there are some that fall into this category. this looks like it could be easily made. that's a snug fit. From those measurements.. One other thought. Is this something we are going to feel or notice without time-slips or Dyno graphs?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 12 Jan 2015 at 12:12 pm.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 12:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I can see if someone doesn't keep up with oil changes as they should this could become clogged a little easer. Ya, I know be we know there are some that fall into this category. this looks like it could be easily made. that's a snug fit. From those measurements.
It is not really possible Danny although common logic may suggest otherwise. The oil is first pulled from the sump at 60-75psi pressure as long as the engine is running.

But never the less long oil change intervals always plays a roll of degrading and at times damaging engine parts.

The fitment is snug but not tight. The hand held Digital Caliper is not for measuring absolutes in which a micrometer would have been a proper choice for precise measurements. The caliper is just a quick and dirty way to measure things.

Last edited by NitroPT; 12 Jan 2015 at 12:17 pm.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 12:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
It is not really possible Danny although common logic may suggest otherwise. The oil is first pulled from the sump at 60-75psi pressure as long as the engine is running.

But never the less long oil change intervals always plays a roll of degrading and at times damaging engine parts.

The fitment is snug but not tight. The hand held Digital Caliper is not for measuring absolutes in which a micrometer would have been a proper choice for precise measurements. The caliper is just a quick and dirty way to measure things.
Yes in this case plenty accurate. Like the chamfered holes you did. Much better peace after your finish work.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 12 Jan 2015, 01:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep.

After Lynn suggested one of these to me I read up on them all I could. These have been around about 8 years and I could find no real negative reports on them. So it shouldn't hurt. And some of have reported positive effects even on everyday driver engines. It may aid with oil pressure to the hydraulic lifters (whatever we call them) on older Neon and PT engines. Of course for positives, you can't easily distinguish between a real effect and the placebo effect. But if it does no harm and only cost $20, I'm in. And I've already got mine.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 01:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

For those that specifically want to know its operational range of usage the oil modifier will only be effective with engine speeds in-excess of aprox. 5000+ rpm. Below these engine speeds is will do nothing in a positive or negative way to the engine.

These type of engine block/head oil passage controllers have actually been used in other performance engines for a couple or more decades. This specific one for 2.0 and 2.4 Chrysler engines has only been offered by this vendor for a few years.

For improved lower engine speed operation using HLCs (hydraulic lash adjusters or lifters) Rhoads Lash Adjusters would be a consideration.
However these are usually intended for engines running high profile camshafts and not usually used to improve daily driven cars.
Rhoads lifters has been successfully used in engines since at least the 70"s?
Old 12 Jan 2015, 01:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Yep.

After Lynn suggested one of these to me I read up on them all I could. These have been around about 8 years and I could find no real negative reports on them. So it shouldn't hurt. And some of have reported positive effects even on everyday driver engines. It may aid with oil pressure to the hydraulic lifters (whatever we call them) on older Neon and PT engines. Of course for positives, you can't easily distinguish between a real effect and the placebo effect. But if it does no harm and only cost $20, I'm in. And I've already got mine.

Automotive Performance parts Placebo effect: Also called the placebo response. A remarkable phenomenon in which a placebo part -- an end user, a fake or un-empirical statement of what a part will do is spread by word of mouth or other media reporting devices i.e forums, facebook etc., can sometimes improve a cars engine performance simply because the person has the expectation that it will be helpful. These "Expectations " play a potent role in the placebo effect. The more a person believes some performance parts are going to work and benefit from them, the more likely it is that they will experience a benefit.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 07:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Neon.org has a whole list of several dozen discussions going back to at least 2008 specifically on the DCR Oil Modifier. And here's one from 2007 started by a sales guy with DCR:

DCR OIL FLOW MODIFIERS IN STOCK

Like I said, there's about eight years of of history on these. And ner' a bad word.

Back in 2008, Darrel Cox spoke a lot about these himself on several other forums. It appears that Mopar made a cup-like oil "restricter" that went between the block and the head. The advantage of the DCR "flow modifier" was that the head did not have to removed to install it. There were also issues with headgasket compatibility with the Mopar unit. But I didn't go into that. It wasn't an issue with the DCR doodad. Many many SRT4 folks have used these. And what's cool is that they often casually list them as just some of the standard item used in an SRT4 engine. This means that at least among certain groups, the use of this little doodad became ubiquitous. You may not really need one unless you race. But it won't hurt and it's one more cool inexpensive thing to brag about to your buddies.

Now if Lynn can get DCR to cut the cost of their nifty cam alignment tool in half, then we will be talking.
3rcruiser likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 12 Jan 2015 at 11:22 pm.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 10:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Neon.org has a whole list of several dozen discussions going back to at least 2008 specifically on the DCR Oil Modifier. And here's one from 2007 started by a sales guy with DCR:

DCR OIL FLOW MODIFIERS IN STOCK

Like I said, there's about eight years of of history on these. And ner' a bad word.

Back in 2008, Darrel Cox spoke a lot about these himself on several other forums. It appears that Mopar made a cup-like oil "restricter" that went between the block and the head. The advantage of the DCR "flow modifier" was that the head did not have to removed to install it. There were also issues with headgasket compatibility with the Mopar unit. But I didn't go into that. It wasn't an issue with the DCR doodad. Many many SRT4 folks have used these. And what's cool is that they often casually list them as just some of the standard item used in an SRT4 engine. This means that at least among certain groups, the use of this little doodad became ubiquitous. You may not really need one unless you race. But it won't hurt and it's one more cool inexpensive thing to brag about to your buddies.

Now if Lynn can get DCR to cut the cost of there nifty cam alignment tool in half, then we will be talking.
Ya I looked into it too when you mentioned in your build thread about getting one. I didn't know it existed until you talked about it. I too didn't find any bad stuff written, so with 8 years of positive history, I am in.

Funny you mentioned about the cam tool and dial indicator. I was going to post that on your thread as good purchases along with some adjustable cam gears to ensure your cams get installed perfectly dialed in.