PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hard to move shifter automatic

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jan 2015, 10:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Hard to move shifter automatic

I noticed last summer when the days were hot and the car had been running for a while the force to move the shifter got harder. Any ideas whats going on? Its fine when you first start the car. seems weird
Old 13 Jan 2015, 07:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hard to move shifter automatic

Have you kept up the maintenance of the transaxle, meaning have you done any ATF+4 changes, either dropping the pan or a full flush?
Old 16 Jan 2015, 08:31 am
Cool Cruiser

I did fluid and filter in the Fall. Time will tell. But this morning I stopped short for a school bus. Car acted like it was in neutral, no power to wheels, then it engaged. Its been real cold here in single digits, not sure if related, but it never did this before, ever. Except for a buck every now and then when slowing for a turn.
Old 16 Jan 2015, 09:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2fish View Post
I did fluid and filter in the Fall. Time will tell. But this morning I stopped short for a school bus. Car acted like it was in neutral, no power to wheels, then it engaged. Its been real cold here in single digits, not sure if related, but it never did this before, ever. Except for a buck every now and then when slowing for a turn.
Sounds like you may have a couple issues. But I would get it to the temp that the shifter gives problems and then disconnect cable at trans to see if cable works fine or is still hard to move. Any code light on the dash?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Jan 2015, 09:31 am
Cool Cruiser

No code lights yet, or I didn't notice any. Was in panic mode for a few seconds
Old 16 Jan 2015, 09:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
No code lights yet, or I didn't notice any. Was in panic mode for a few seconds
I hear ya.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Jan 2015, 10:02 am
Cool Cruiser

I am going to go out at lunch and run an errand, check the level when I get back to work. Do you think because I stopped so abrupt it hiccupped and didn't shift into low for some reason. It shifted fine after. A mile down the road when I got to work I went forward to reverse many times and it seemed fine.
Old 16 Jan 2015, 10:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I am going to go out at lunch and run an errand, check the level when I get back to work. Do you think because I stopped so abrupt it hiccupped and didn't shift into low for some reason. It shifted fine after. A mile down the road when I got to work I went forward to reverse many times and it seemed fine.
my hope is If the cable is the shifter issue. That maybe that you were close to not being in gear and it slipped out momentarily. But that is just a crap shoot at best. Could be a sticky valve in the solenoid pack. Again just a guess. A dirty filter can cause this. but you just did it in the fall. But did they pull the pan doing the flush? That's the only way to change filter.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Jan 2015, 11:00 am
Cool Cruiser

Yes I changed the filter. The new one was kind of loose plugging in though, but with the pan on can't possibly fall off. I did notice a couple weeks ago all the lights came on the dashboard then went out. Maybe related? These cold new England winters are hard on cars. I forgot to mention I have 125,000 miles on the car.
Old 16 Jan 2015, 11:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Positive that only ATF + 4 went into the trans?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles