PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
01 PT Cruiser limited edition Cold Air Intake possibly be a good idea?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Slowrider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jan 2015, 01:53 am
Regular Cruiser

Default 01 PT Cruiser limited edition Cold Air Intake possibly be a good idea?

Wondering if the air intake systems out there that are called Cold Air Intake air filters for your cars are any good, can't seem to find any good info on them anywhere's that seem to be helpful to me. Was thinking about adding the cold air filter to our 01 PT Cruiser intake system and get rid of the factory air system in there. I hope so far this makes sense but my question is if I do this does it improve anything on the engine like people say or is it not enough to notice even?? Would we need a custom longer hose from the throttle body to the air filter or can we use the factory one on it yet? Do we need that plastic head shield to separate the air filter from the engine for heat? Someone help me out on this.

Thanks guys you've all been very helpful to us.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 07:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 01 PT Cruiser limited edition Cold Air Intake possibly be a good idea?

There's good points and bad. The cold air intake SEEMS to help with acceleration from a dead stop, less hesitation. The best ones have a surround that keeps engine heat away from the filter. Supposedly the heat hurts in some way but I haven't noticed anything. The best ones also comes with everything you need ie: coupling, tube, filter and hose clamps. They are very loud because of the rush of air into the throttle body, especially the ones with the metal/chrome tubing. Is that a bad thing? Depends on your point of view. I think it sounds great.

If you have a 2001 and early 2002, there's a mod that cuts a wire and definitely helps the shifting between 1st and 2nd gear. It's called the MX-5 Shift Burp. You'll have to do some digging in the archives to find the procedure. At full throttle, the car literately jumps from 1st to 2nd gear.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 13 Jan 2015 at 07:13 am.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 10:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 01 PT Cruiser limited edition Cold Air Intake possibly be a good idea?

There is debate about these...
There are those who say they hurt horsepower - I have no proof one way or the other - I have one, and I CAN say it CANNOT hurt mileage, since I have AVERAGED a hair over 25 MPG for 120,000 miles OVERALL - with an automatic.

It is safe to say there is no dramatic change with one, except more noise. I had one on my '02 PT also, and on both cars, I felt that throttle response improved - there was less of a lag between pressing the gas and acceleration.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Jan 2015, 11:31 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have seen too many problems with aftermarket air filters to recommend one. They suck in more hot air and allow more dirt to enter the engine. On cars with mass air flow sensors, it can cause the check engine light to come on. The common causes are oil from the filter on the sensor, and the different amount of air passing through the sensor. Another thing I see is that people will install a "lifetime filter" and never clean it so then it becomes more restricted than a regular filter. There is even a video on aftermarket air filters, proving that there are no benefits. The stock air box pulls air from the wheel well. Most aftermarket filters have a shield that doesn't completely bock out the air from the engine bay. Personally, I'd rather just spend 5 minutes replacing a filter rather than spending 2 hours cleaning it. http://youtu.be/gCi2yo4UqPI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit2014 View Post
Wondering if the air intake systems out there that are called Cold Air Intake air filters for your cars are any good, can't seem to find any good info on them anywhere's that seem to be helpful to me. Was thinking about adding the cold air filter to our 01 PT Cruiser intake system and get rid of the factory air system in there. I hope so far this makes sense but my question is if I do this does it improve anything on the engine like people say or is it not enough to notice even?? Would we need a custom longer hose from the throttle body to the air filter or can we use the factory one on it yet? Do we need that plastic head shield to separate the air filter from the engine for heat? Someone help me out on this.

Thanks guys you've all been very helpful to us.
UptownSport likes this.
Old 14 Jan 2015, 09:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

All astute observations.
PT doesn't have a MAF, though.
Guilty of the never wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowrider View Post
I have seen too many problems with aftermarket air filters to recommend one. They suck in more hot air and allow more dirt to enter the engine. On cars with mass air flow sensors, it can cause the check engine light to come on. The common causes are oil from the filter on the sensor, and the different amount of air passing through the sensor. Another thing I see is that people will install a "lifetime filter" and never clean it so then it becomes more restricted than a regular filter. There is even a video on aftermarket air filters, proving that there are no benefits. The stock air box pulls air from the wheel well. Most aftermarket filters have a shield that doesn't completely bock out the air from the engine bay. Personally, I'd rather just spend 5 minutes replacing a filter rather than spending 2 hours cleaning it.
Old 14 Jan 2015, 11:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: 01 PT Cruiser limited edition Cold Air Intake possibly be a good idea?

My 2 centavos on the soonercruiser (manual).
Nice growl!
Better pedal response with manual tranny.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!