PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
04 PT Cruiser, Could timing possibly be off???

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jan 2015, 03:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default 04 PT Cruiser, Could timing possibly be off???

We bought a used 2004 PT Cruiser around July 2014 from a small dealer ship, and since then it's been idling rough, and when you're turning the steering wheel it acts as if it wants to die out, it's got pick up and power but just those 2 things are wrong with it. We did not go back to the dealership about it because they had no garage and might have gave us problems about it and we didn't want that, So I'm here now to see what you guys could think it could possibly be, me and my dad are thinking it's going to be the timing is off, would that be what you guys think too?
Old 13 Jan 2015, 03:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 04 PT Cruiser, Could timing possibly be off???

Add some fuel injector cleaner to see if that helps.
I'm not sure about the G1's (2001-2005), but I know in the G2's (2006-2010) the Power Steering Pressure Switch is used to up the idle when the pressure goes high from turning the steering wheel. Also the O2 Senors control idle...are you getting any fault codes..??

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 13 Jan 2015, 03:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

How many miles on it???
Idle is usually needing spark plugs and wires (replace both).
Injector cleaner is always a good idea, and is like chicken soup - can't hurt.
The power steering puts a load on that accentuates bad ignition.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Jan 2015, 05:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
How many miles on it???
Idle is usually needing spark plugs and wires (replace both).
Injector cleaner is always a good idea, and is like chicken soup - can't hurt.
The power steering puts a load on that accentuates bad ignition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Add some fuel injector cleaner to see if that helps.
I'm not sure about the G1's (2001-2005), but I know in the G2's (2006-2010) the Power Steering Pressure Switch is used to up the idle when the pressure goes high from turning the steering wheel. Also the O2 Senors control idle...are you getting any fault codes..??
Haven't had any codes set off yet, changed the spark plugs and the wires about 3 in a half months ago and when we pulled the 1 and 2 cylinder spark plug out they had oil on them, so we changed the spark plugs and wires and about a month later we changed the valve cover gasket and we checked the spark plugs and no oil on them at all, so we put the valve cover gasket on and the 4 o-rings on new, and put 4 new spark plugs in gaped them at 50. The oil was seeping through the back of the cylinder head out through the old valve cover gasket so that was one of the reasons we changed the valve gasket for. Put on a new PCV valve that didn't do anything, We haven't had a chance to change the oil yet because who ever had this car last must have been really stupid because we are thinking they must have either used an impact wrench on the oil drain plug or something because that bolt is close to being rounded off and really super tight, we even have special sockets that are made for bolts that are rounded but it's so tight we can't get no torque on it by hand. I'm hoping the rings ain't shot due to something the past owner did to it, the car only had about 93,000 give or take, and now about close to 98,000 miles on it, looks like a new timing belt too that's been replaced. Cold it be the upper and lower intake gaskets??? I mean when we had the upper intake off the gaskets looked okay now I know for sure on my dads PT Cruiser the both intake gaskets were totally shot they were flat totally but still his car doesn't run like mine does even before we changed his intake gaskets. So I'm puzzled I hope it's nothing major either..

Last edited by Bandit2014; 13 Jan 2015 at 05:26 pm.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 05:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Get some starting fluid, and spray along the intake gasket seams - if idle smooths out, it's the gaskets.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 05:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Get some starting fluid, and spray along the intake gasket seams - if idle smooths out, it's the gaskets.

How would you spray starting fluid on the lower intake part connected to the cylinder head it's kinda hard to get to with everything on the engine?
Old 13 Jan 2015, 05:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit2014 View Post
How would you spray starting fluid on the lower intake part connected to the cylinder head it's kinda hard to get to with everything on the engine?
Spray the area - it turns to gas immediately and if there's a bad gasket, it'll get sucked in..

Old 13 Jan 2015, 05:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Spray the area - it turns to gas immediately and if there's a bad gasket, it'll get sucked in..
Even if you can't directly spray on the lower intake down on the bottom by the cylinder head? So just spray it on the middle intake were the lower meets the upper intake?
Old 13 Jan 2015, 06:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Even if you can't directly spray on the lower intake down on the bottom by the cylinder head? So just spray it on the middle intake were the lower meets the upper intake?
Yes. I believe the gas is heavier than air, but I'm not positive.

Old 13 Jan 2015, 07:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Haven't had any codes set off yet, changed the spark plugs and the wires about 3 in a half months ago and when we pulled the 1 and 2 cylinder spark plug out they had oil on them, so we changed the spark plugs and wires and about a month later we changed the valve cover gasket and we checked the spark plugs and no oil on them at all, so we put the valve cover gasket on and the 4 o-rings on new, and put 4 new spark plugs in gaped them at 50. The oil was seeping through the back of the cylinder head out through the old valve cover gasket so that was one of the reasons we changed the valve gasket for. Put on a new PCV valve that didn't do anything, We haven't had a chance to change the oil yet because who ever had this car last must have been really stupid because we are thinking they must have either used an impact wrench on the oil drain plug or something because that bolt is close to being rounded off and really super tight, we even have special sockets that are made for bolts that are rounded but it's so tight we can't get no torque on it by hand. I'm hoping the rings ain't shot due to something the past owner did to it, the car only had about 93,000 give or take, and now about close to 98,000 miles on it, looks like a new timing belt too that's been replaced. Cold it be the upper and lower intake gaskets??? I mean when we had the upper intake off the gaskets looked okay now I know for sure on my dads PT Cruiser the both intake gaskets were totally shot they were flat totally but still his car doesn't run like mine does even before we changed his intake gaskets. So I'm puzzled I hope it's nothing major either..
I decided To watch and see what was said on this one. I think you said what best ties your thread name and your first descriptions together.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com