PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Cruiser cluster electrical issue solved, might help others..

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By lwprofile

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jan 2015, 07:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Cruiser cluster electrical issue solved, might help others..

I work on PT Cruisers once a week in our shop, and have found them to be mostly pleasing to repair. Enough so that I bought my daughter a 2005 GT Turbo, with everything, and she loves it.

To the point:
Ive spent the last two days working on a electrical issue on a 2006 Touring Edition where four seconds after turning the key on (or starting the vehicle) the gauges went dead while all the idiot lights came on and stayed on (including lights). Car ran and drove fine though.
I spent a while reading all of your threads on here and proceeded to check, clean all cables, grounds, checked computer (and reflashed), control module/fusebox, ignition elect switch, etc.

As I scanned each items communication, item by item, I finally came to the airbag module (underneath center console) and found it not to be communicating.
After removal of the console, I found it had fluid on it (maybe a spilled drink in center console, not sure).
This was the problem, and fixed it.
I hope this might help someone else, and am posting as I did not read in any of the posts on this issue that anyone checked this.
Best wishes.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 07:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Cruiser cluster electrical issue solved, might help others..

Welcome.
Strange.
Probably the airbag would not have deployed if it was needed, so that's another benefit.
Very helpful first post.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Jan 2015, 08:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like you have some good electrical troubleshooting skills. Welcome.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Jan 2015, 09:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: PT Cruiser cluster electrical issue solved, might help others..

Well Done, Cruiser Grasshopper!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 13 Jan 2015, 09:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: PT Cruiser cluster electrical issue solved, might help others..

Nice post! Thanks for posting!
Old 13 Jan 2015, 10:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwprofile View Post
I work on PT Cruisers once a week in our shop, and have found them to be mostly pleasing to repair. Enough so that I bought my daughter a 2005 GT Turbo, with everything, and she loves it.

To the point:
Ive spent the last two days working on a electrical issue on a 2006 Touring Edition where four seconds after turning the key on (or starting the vehicle) the gauges went dead while all the idiot lights came on and stayed on (including lights). Car ran and drove fine though.
I spent a while reading all of your threads on here and proceeded to check, clean all cables, grounds, checked computer (and reflashed), control module/fusebox, ignition elect switch, etc.

As I scanned each items communication, item by item, I finally came to the airbag module (underneath center console) and found it not to be communicating.
After removal of the console, I found it had fluid on it (maybe a spilled drink in center console, not sure).
This was the problem, and fixed it.
I hope this might help someone else, and am posting as I did not read in any of the posts on this issue that anyone checked this.
Best wishes.
Was there any engine trouble codes when you were working on this problem and if so what codes? Thanks for the information.