Advertisements
Power Steering reservoir screen on a 01 PT Cruiser limited edition

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jan 2015, 09:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Power Steering reservoir screen on a 01 PT Cruiser limited edition

Question we put the Power Steering reservoir back on our 01 PT Cruiser limited edition but I've been reading about there being a screen mesh inside the reservoir and when we had ours off we were looking down inside the reservoir and couldn't see anything but didn't really know where to look either. Well over the summer of last year that PT Cruiser the Power Steering hose going from the pump to the steering column broke on the bottom of the engine just as we pulled into the driveway home and we heard a loud whining noise and found a big puddle under the car, anyways I'm kinda worried now because we didn't check that screen on ours if there is one and replaced it if necessary to do so, What would you guys suggest we do in this situation? I mean it's got a new power steering pump, and a new hose going from the pump to the steering column the only thing we didn't do was check that screen mesh inside the reservoir and I'm kinda worried about that now that maybe ours is plugged or something. This stuff is all new to me and I can't find a really good routine maintenance list and how to check it either, we have a haynes book on the Cruiser too but that don't really tell us how to check this either.

Thanks allot guys hope to here something helpful and not too complicated right now
Old 14 Jan 2015, 09:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Power Steering reservoir screen on a 01 PT Cruiser limited edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit2014 View Post
Question we put the Power Steering reservoir back on our 01 PT Cruiser limited edition but I've been reading about there being a screen mesh inside the reservoir and when we had ours off we were looking down inside the reservoir and couldn't see anything but didn't really know where to look either. Well over the summer of last year that PT Cruiser the Power Steering hose going from the pump to the steering column broke on the bottom of the engine just as we pulled into the driveway home and we heard a loud whining noise and found a big puddle under the car, anyways I'm kinda worried now because we didn't check that screen on ours if there is one and replaced it if necessary to do so, What would you guys suggest we do in this situation? I mean it's got a new power steering pump, and a new hose going from the pump to the steering column the only thing we didn't do was check that screen mesh inside the reservoir and I'm kinda worried about that now that maybe ours is plugged or something. This stuff is all new to me and I can't find a really good routine maintenance list and how to check it either, we have a haynes book on the Cruiser too but that don't really tell us how to check this either.

Thanks allot guys hope to here something helpful and not too complicated right now
My very recent post on the last page.

Power Steering Reservoir DIY

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Jan 2015, 12:52 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
My very recent post on the last page.

Power Steering Reservoir DIY
Okay. Thanks Busted PT, I actually read through the guys posts and was getting kinda worried that I would of had to do all that to ours but then I got to the last post which was yours and read yours and felt better because that's more something that I would like to do instead of all of what the other guy did to his. I just hope with us not cleaning the filter like we should I hope doesn't ruin the new Power Steering pump we just put in.
Old 15 Jan 2015, 08:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Okay. Thanks Busted PT, I actually read through the guys posts and was getting kinda worried that I would of had to do all that to ours but then I got to the last post which was yours and read yours and felt better because that's more something that I would like to do instead of all of what the other guy did to his. I just hope with us not cleaning the filter like we should I hope doesn't ruin the new Power Steering pump we just put in.
Just suck ou as much fluid as you can with a Turkey baster and remove it and pop off the top and see what you got. Just didy driver yesterday.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Feb 2015, 07:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Well today I took off the power steering reservoir on our 01 Cruiser and I've been trying to get a very small flat head screw driver under neath the clips on the bottom of the reservoir and just can't seem to get any where's. I'm using like a small screw driver like the size of one you would use on a wrist watch but seem to get nothing our of it. Any other suggestions for me? Thanks guys
Old 24 Feb 2015, 10:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Well today I took off the power steering reservoir on our 01 Cruiser and I've been trying to get a very small flat head screw driver under neath the clips on the bottom of the reservoir and just can't seem to get any where's. I'm using like a small screw driver like the size of one you would use on a wrist watch but seem to get nothing our of it. Any other suggestions for me? Thanks guys
When I purchased my 03, the power steering sounded like it was low on fluid but it checked full. I suspected the previous owner used the wrong fluid just as he did with the transmission. I removed the power steering reservoir and used brake fluid to clean it. Spraying through the hose ports.. Flushed the power steering system with the proper fluid and refilled the reservoir, 30,000+ miles and no problems.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 24 Feb 2015, 10:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
When I purchased my 03, the power steering sounded like it was low on fluid but it checked full. I suspected the previous owner used the wrong fluid just as he did with the transmission. I removed the power steering reservoir and used brake fluid to clean it. Spraying through the hose ports.. Flushed the power steering system with the proper fluid and refilled the reservoir, 30,000+ miles and no problems.
And just spraying brake cleaner in there got the screen clean from that gross looking gum stuff on the screen without scrubbing or anything? How did you flush the power steering system?
Old 30 Mar 2015, 04:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Check engine light, ever hear of these codes? go to near the bottom.

I did it the same way except with two people, one pouring and watching and the other running and steering. The pourer watched the return clear line until the fluid was clean and kept pouring into a funnel until then.

Incidentally, I never got the screen clean so I replaced the reservoir.
3rcruiser likes this.

Last edited by Mal; 30 Mar 2015 at 04:39 pm.