Advertisements
Power Steering Pump Replacement - 2005 2.4 Turbo

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By billybob123

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jan 2015, 12:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Power Steering Pump Replacement - 2005 2.4 Turbo

I've seen a few threads on here about replacing the power steering pump and the challenges of doing so. As a side note pertaining to my vehicle: I noticed it was leaking and topped off the reservoir, to find that there were still some noises coming from the area, even after topping off. The reason I suspect it's the pump and not some other hose, etc.

My question is, is it possible to replace the power steering pump without removing all the other items most often listed, on the 2005 2.4 turbo? Anyone with experience or input on this, is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Nvizn; 15 Jan 2015 at 12:49 pm.
Old 15 Jan 2015, 01:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Power Steering Pump Replacement - 2005 2.4 Turbo

I removed one from a turbo car at a salvage yard. And without removing the radiator and intake, I took it out through the hole where the right headlight goes. It was still fairly difficult but the headlight and radiator fan were already gone.
Old 15 Jan 2015, 01:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I removed one from a turbo car at a salvage yard. And without removing the radiator and intake, I took it out through the hole where the right headlight goes. It was still fairly difficult but the headlight and radiator fan were already gone.
Thanks for the input. So you think it can be replaced, by removing just the headlight and fan? How long do you estimate it taking for removal?

So far, all the quotes for replacement are between $630-750. That sounds way over priced, considering a manuf. rebuilt pump is only $80.

On a side note: Besides the hoses, is there anything else that could be leaking? There's no doubt, something is leaking the fluid onto the ground. It's been cold & rainy, so I haven't attempted to trace the leakage.
Old 15 Jan 2015, 07:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvizn View Post
I've seen a few threads on here about replacing the power steering pump and the challenges of doing so. As a side note pertaining to my vehicle: I noticed it was leaking and topped off the reservoir, to find that there were still some noises coming from the area, even after topping off. The reason I suspect it's the pump and not some other hose, etc.

My question is, is it possible to replace the power steering pump without removing all the other items most often listed, on the 2005 2.4 turbo? Anyone with experience or input on this, is greatly appreciated.
Before doing the pump, you might consider cleaning the strainer
Power Steering Reservoir DIY

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Jan 2015, 08:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Before doing the pump, you might consider cleaning the strainer
Power Steering Reservoir DIY
You might want to disregard this link. This link dosent apply to your PT.

y

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 16 Jan 2015 at 10:11 am.
Old 29 Jan 2016, 10:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

HELLO,,,Every one
New guy to the PT world ..
I have a chance to buy a 2006 PT,,with the turbo.
My question is,,,,, The guy says it ran fine before the power steering pump was changed!!?
But now it has no power and thinks it's a TURBO issues??
Does any thing make sense to you all?

Again new to this world an looking for suggestions,,before I may buy it.

THANKS
Any Help Is A Help
Old 30 Jan 2016, 07:13 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgedaddie View Post
HELLO,,,Every one
New guy to the PT world ..
I have a chance to buy a 2006 PT,,with the turbo.
My question is,,,,, The guy says it ran fine before the power steering pump was changed!!?
But now it has no power and thinks it's a TURBO issues??
Does any thing make sense to you all?

Again new to this world an looking for suggestions,,before I may buy it.

THANKS
Any Help Is A Help

The power steering pump has nothing to do with how the car runs...I ran mine without power steering for a month before I replaced it.
There is another problem & it sounds like he's not telling you.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 21 Mar 2016, 02:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
The power steering pump has nothing to do with how the car runs...I ran mine without power steering for a month before I replaced it.
There is another problem & it sounds like he's not telling you.
When the power steering pump is removed, and the radiator fan is removed to accomplish this, some of the turbo related hoses are disconnected to create the necessary space for removing the fan. If the hoses aren't reconnected properly, the car can certainly exhibit anemic power tendencies. I learned this from personal experience when replacing my own ps pump.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 03:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob123 View Post
When the power steering pump is removed, and the radiator fan is removed to accomplish this, some of the turbo related hoses are disconnected to create the necessary space for removing the fan. If the hoses aren't reconnected properly, the car can certainly exhibit anemic power tendencies. I learned this from personal experience when replacing my own ps pump.
Yep. If you hook up a temporary boost gauge, you will likely see very little if any pressure increase.