PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Coil? or Converter? Or?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jan 2015, 12:00 am
Young Cruiser

Default Coil? or Converter? Or?

I've done some searches here and don't have a definite idea of the issue. So I'm looking for experienced opinions on my next step.

2002 Limited no modifications 176k miles

Missus Bandaide was driving it to a client over a week ago and found it running with a miss abruptly as she entered the interstate. It wouldn't run much over 40. She made it about 4 miles to the next exit, turned up the road and stopped about the 5 th mile in a parking lot and shut it down. She noticed no other issues such as odors, leaks etc. I picked it up about an hour later and drove it back to the house without high speeds. Just easy rolling. During the run it seemed to be missing and not running easily.

Since we've had the car, it's not had a tune-up. The timing belt was changed about 112k miles after it broke and it's run fine since. I'm not aware of it's history prior to the 112k mark since that's when we bought it.

I've changed the plugs. All four were the same plugs. #2 and #4 both had oil on the plugs. I'm assuming from leaking o-ring seals. I've changed the valve cover gasket and plug seals during this time. The car runs somewhat better but it still has the miss.

From what I've read, there is a possibility of a clogged cat, bad plugs/wires or a bad coil. The cat hasn't been checked. The plugs and wires are now brand new from Rockauto so I'm thinking it's not a likely candidate. Are there any tests for the coils? Is it the likely problem?
Old 18 Jan 2015, 12:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Coil? or Converter? Or?

Is your engine light on?
If so do you know what the engine trouble codes are?
Your PT Cruiser might be in limp mode.
Does the exhaust smell like rotten eggs?
Does it blow black smoke?
Has the PT Cruiser been having poor acceleration lately?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 18 Jan 2015 at 12:18 am.
Old 18 Jan 2015, 02:40 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Is your engine light on?
If so do you know what the engine trouble codes are?
Your PT Cruiser might be in limp mode.
Does the exhaust smell like rotten eggs?
Does it blow black smoke?
Has the PT Cruiser been having poor acceleration lately?
Light was on. Codes included cat eff loss (420?), 304 among them. The combination of codes were researched here and elsewhere with resulting in the suggestion that a tuneup was in order. Mileage and experience with this Cruiser agreed so this was done today.
I'm familiar with Chrysler`s limp mode. It is not in it now.
Rotten eggs and black smoke? No.

Last edited by bandaide; 18 Jan 2015 at 09:08 am. Reason: Sometimes I hate tablets. :(
Old 18 Jan 2015, 07:26 am
Veteran Cruiser

Kinda sounds like a Cam Sensor but your not getting that code....
P0304 is cylinder 4...take out & check the #4 plug for fouling, also swap the #4 plug wire with another to check if that wire is bad. Could also be a clogged injector, add some fuel injector cleaner...don't wait till you have a full tank...it's safe to add a full bottle to 1/4 tank.
Add some good fuel injector cleaner, none off that dollar store stuff, spend $5 and get a can of Berryman B-12 Chemtool.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 18 Jan 2015, 09:09 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
P0304 is cylinder 4...take out & check the #4 plug for fouling, also swap the #4 plug wire with another to check if that wire is bad. Could also be a clogged injector, add some fuel injector cleaner...don't wait till you have a full tank...it's safe to add a full bottle to 1/4 tank.
Add some good fuel injector cleaner, none off that dollar store stuff, spend $5 and get a can of Berryman B-12 Chemtool.
Lion,

If I can't find Berryman, how about Seafoam?
Old 18 Jan 2015, 10:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandaide View Post
Light was on. Codes included cat eff loss (420?), 304 among them. The combination of codes were researched here and elsewhere with resulting in the suggestion that a tuneup was in order. Mileage and experience with this Cruiser agreed so this was done today.
I'm familiar with Chrysler`s limp mode. It is not in it now.
Rotten eggs and black smoke? No.
Can you tell what other codes came up? Posting all the codes can help us get a better idea of what the problem might be.
Old 18 Jan 2015, 10:52 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandaide View Post
Lion,

If I can't find Berryman, how about Seafoam?

Yes, Seafoam will work.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 18 Jan 2015, 11:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Also with the above advice from LionPT check your PCV hose and check it for vacuum leaks from one end to the other end for cracks and loose fittings.
Old 18 Jan 2015, 11:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

So, you changed plugs and wires? How is it doing now?
Go to an AutoZone, etc., and have codes read, and then reset and see where you are at.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Jan 2015, 03:04 pm
Young Cruiser

Ok, an update of sorts.

On the question of the other codes. I read them almost 2 weeks ago and researched them immediately. Unfortunately the paper notes had been misplaced. But I ordered the parts I needed for a "tuneup" from Rockauto as well as a multifunction switch. I did the switch installation first and, as is my habit, disconnected the battery. Since the negative strap was off during most of yesterday, I have no way to retrieve the codes.

After reassembly last night, I ran the car and still had the rough idle/missing but it never set any additional codes. That's part of the reason for this thread, I was faced with the parts gun and which barrel to load.

As I got started this morning, I read through all of the advice y'all offered and decided to load the coil barrel. I picked up a coil pack and battery to install this morning.

I'm happy to report that the missing was the coil pack. I had replaced the plugs and wires yesterday and saw no change. I swapped the coil pack and battery out this morning and it's running like a brand, new Cruiser. During the work I did yesterday, I managed to break the PCV valve in half. So I picked up a new one and replaced the weird piece of hose and tube that was on the old one to a single piece of hose from the barb at the PCV valve to barb at the plenum. Someone had used a 90 degree hose adapter to make the plenum connection, I've reused this to ease the path of the hose and hopefully keep it from kinking. I've put a 1/2 can of Seafoam in the tank to do some general cleaning. So far all is well after 3 hours of errands etc.