Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
05 PT cranks but won't start.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jan 2015, 12:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 05 PT cranks but won't start.

Hi all, I'm new here and am looking for any advice regarding my PT not starting.
I have an 05 base that is my daily driver with 96000 on her.
Always runs like a champ and truly has been a war pony!

The other day when I started her up there was some rough sputtering so I put my foot on the gas a little til it warmed up and then it was fine again. The last week has been fine until today after making a stop I came out and it would not start. Full tank of gas, no engine lights on dash so I am at a loss as to why it would suddenly not start.

I was thinking maybe the fuel pump just died. I heard that if you listen by the gas while someone engage the key you will here a noise from the pump pressurizing or something to that effect, I heard no noise at all.

When I try and start the car it cranks like it wants to start but never does?

Any ideas on what this could be, I'd hate to have a new pump put in and find out it's not that. As i understand it is expensive.

Also if it is a fuel pump, would it be best to only use an OEM or are there aftermarkets that are worth while. I am sure if I take here to a mechanic they would use some cheapo one and maybe it would just die again...

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by Noah1; 22 Jan 2015 at 12:14 am.
Old 22 Jan 2015, 12:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 05 PT cranks but won't start.

More then likely not fuel pump!! Do you have any codes? You can check with they key, cycle key three times. Third time leave in on position read odometer if it says done no codes p1684 no need to worry either. It's a battery disconnect code.But check let me know?

Plus before anything make sure you have a good battery connection at Postive side.Check ground as well, but I have seen the postive cable give issues. Once you have great positive and negative connections at battery. Get codes first before disconnecting battery!!

Next pt cruisers run on hall effect sensors for cam and crank.

You are close to needing timing belt as well!!
I will get back to those sensors I have easy way to tell if it's computer or sensor or wiring!!

Have you had Anything work wise done to the motor?
Old 22 Jan 2015, 12:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Snapon! There were no codes from check engine light but I will try the key trick and see what i get. Seems to have full power though, all windows, lights ect work. I will clean the terminals and make sure there is solid contact.

Should I definitly be hearing noise from the fuel pump engaging or is it the kind of sound you need to know to recognize?

No recent work done, I did replace the Crank shaft position sensor a couple of years ago though but no problem since. It wasnt oem could it have failed again? I remember symptoms like the car bucking when that went out and there was a code. This time it does not seem like that.

Oh and yes I do need the belt serviced per mileage soon. I don't think it it that though.

Last edited by Noah1; 22 Jan 2015 at 12:47 am.
Old 22 Jan 2015, 12:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just did the trick with the key. All it said was ,"done" no codes.
I took a look at the battery and the cables are firmly attached but there is some corrosion on the neg terminal.

Any ideas on what I should try next?

Thanks a million!
Old 22 Jan 2015, 03:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Noah I just got done posting long thread on fishermen's turns over won't start. But your dofor alot of service. Timing belt kit with water pump and ngk irdium spark plugs u can not get any other there expensive for a reason do not use autolite or Bosch in any Chrysler products champion or ngk only!!!! Fix coolant leaks over oil leaks first on cars unless oil leak is severe. Coolant really maintains engine temp very important!! But back to yours read that thread your not getting the cam sensor to read I'm quessing or crank vise versus. Same signal but cam sends fuel . Right now your asd is working cause within one second of cranking your computer notice problem kicks asd relay and no start. If your asd relay is working. So quick test if u think tming belt ok pull cam sensor connector start car it will start and run if nothing wrong . Shut car off after it starts and runs now let's figure out why . See by unplugging cam sensor connector u by pass asd relay and it allows to go to secondary firing in the computer using crank sensor only!! So if starts u know the crank is good and cam probably good too. Read my thread on fishermen's thread test that infoumous orange wite, make sure your wiring harness good. But fair warning. Throwing parts at these pt cruiser's not smart TEST what I did and researched but even Chrysler Tech of 20 years was surprised!! He had to reprogram reman pcm!!! These PCM are junk they go out they like to flash them but trust me get a new or reman flashing the bad pcm may help for a minute or days or for one start like ours did .!! This tech even first time told us crank sensor was cause so we replaced it . Got one start lucky!! After 4 more days later of research and testing he's back out reprogramming reman PCM !!! Started right up. This tech wasted time again before when we knew it was PCM testing things!! I can tell u what's wrong by just the cam being unplugged can it start and run? Two At Orange wire at PCM with all wires plugged in what does the volts read? Three with Crank sensor connector unplugged only crank sensor disconnected what is volts at orange wire? All these volts check is with key on.
Old 22 Jan 2015, 03:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Noah I just got done posting long thread on fishermen's turns over won't start. But your dofor alot of service. Timing belt kit with water pump and ngk irdium spark plugs u can not get any other there expensive for a reason do not use autolite or Bosch in any Chrysler products champion or ngk only!!!! Fix coolant leaks over oil leaks first on cars unless oil leak is severe. Coolant really maintains engine temp very important!! But back to yours read that thread your not getting the cam sensor to read I'm quessing or crank vise versus. Same signal but cam sends fuel . Right now your asd is working cause within one second of cranking your computer notice problem kicks asd relay and no start. If your asd relay is working. So quick test if u think tming belt ok pull cam sensor connector start car it will start and run if nothing wrong . Shut car off after it starts and runs now let's figure out why . See by unplugging cam sensor connector u by pass asd relay and it allows to go to secondary firing in the computer using crank sensor only!! So if starts u know the crank is good and cam probably good too. Read my thread on fishermen's thread test that infoumous orange wite, make sure your wiring harness good. But fair warning. Throwing parts at these pt cruiser's not smart TEST what I did and researched but even Chrysler Tech of 20 years was surprised!! He had to reprogram reman pcm!!! These PCM are junk they go out they like to flash them but trust me get a new or reman flashing the bad pcm may help for a minute or days or for one start like ours did .!! This tech even first time told us crank sensor was cause so we replaced it . Got one start lucky!! After 4 more days later of research and testing he's back out reprogramming reman PCM !!! Started right up. This tech wasted time again before when we knew it was PCM testing things!! I can tell u what's wrong by just the cam being unplugged can it start and run? Two At Orange wire at PCM with all wires plugged in what does the volts read? Three with Crank sensor connector unplugged only crank sensor disconnected what is volts at orange wire? All these volts check is with key on.