PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
code p 0300

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jan 2015, 01:14 am
Young Cruiser

Default code p 0300

hi I recently got a 2004 limited with 90,000 miles real cheap as the lady drove without coolant until it stopped ! when I got it the engine didn't run. I had a machine shop recondition and resurface the head (the seats were warped and they took off .015) , I replaced the rad, electric fan , thermostat, rad cap., timing belt, water pump, starter, spark plugs and wires. someone had already replaced the crank sensor (autozone part)just before I got it. I checked and rechecked the timing belt too many times and think it is on. I had never heard the engine run before so don't know what it was like. now that it is running it has a slight rough idle but runs ok on the highway. I put on 1000 miles so far and about every 100 miles code p 0300 comes on. I've rechecked the timing belt, the spark plugs, checked compression, sprayed water around the upper intake manifold looking for vacuum leaks but can't get too close to the lower. I can only get a limited amount of info on my diagnostic tool. I called the only Chrysler dealer around to get a diagnostic analysis and they were booking in three weeks and wanted 230.00. I would appreciate any info I can get. thanks, jim hoysa
Old 25 Jan 2015, 01:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: code p 0300

I would suggest putting some fuel injection cleaner in the fuel tank. The fuel injectors can get dirty and when they do they sometimes cause the random misfire.
I would also check for cracks and leaks in vacuum hoses.
Is there any patterns that comes up when the P0300 code comes up? Does it only trigger the code when you are idling?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 25 Jan 2015 at 01:47 am. Reason: More questions
Old 25 Jan 2015, 07:13 am
Veteran Cruiser

Since it comes on about every 100 miles...have the catalytic converter checked.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 25 Jan 2015, 08:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Did your timing line up straight through the center of the bolts? Also did the arrow line up with the trailing edge of the crank sprocket tooth? Like these. Would have served you well to have taken pic for future references like this. to absolutely rule that out.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Jan 2015, 10:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest putting some fuel injection cleaner in the fuel tank. The fuel injectors can get dirty and when they do they sometimes cause the random misfire.
I would also check for cracks and leaks in vacuum hoses.
Is there any patterns that comes up when the P0300 code comes up? Does it only trigger the code when you are idling?
Also suggest checking fuel pressure. Low fuel pressure can cause misfire.
Does any other engine trouble codes come up once in a while when you get the P0300?
Old 25 Jan 2015, 11:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Were plugs and wires replaced?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Jan 2015, 01:55 pm
Young Cruiser

hi the code p 300 will come up anytime but I get no other ones . I replaced the plugs and wires when I put the engine back together. I have pulled vacuum hoses off and the engine does run rougher and I used a windex bottle with water and sprayed as much as I could around the upper intake manifold and hoses but couldn't get to the lower intake very good. the car runs real good at highway speed with no hesitation so I think fuel pressure is good. when I took the engine apart I put the injectors in a egg carton as well as the lifters and rocker arms to keep them in order and clean. a mechanic from the Chrysler dealer came and we checked the timing again and it seems to be ok. I did run the engine then with the exhaust off and it was the same so the converter should not be a problem. is there a way I can check the injectors without replacing them. thanks. jim
Old 25 Jan 2015, 01:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhoysa View Post
hi the code p 300 will come up anytime but I get no other ones . I replaced the plugs and wires when I put the engine back together. I have pulled vacuum hoses off and the engine does run rougher and I used a windex bottle with water and sprayed as much as I could around the upper intake manifold and hoses but couldn't get to the lower intake very good. the car runs real good at highway speed with no hesitation so I think fuel pressure is good. when I took the engine apart I put the injectors in a egg carton as well as the lifters and rocker arms to keep them in order and clean. a mechanic from the Chrysler dealer came and we checked the timing again and it seems to be ok. I did run the engine then with the exhaust off and it was the same so the converter should not be a problem. is there a way I can check the injectors without replacing them. thanks. jim
You stated that the code comes back after you drive about 100 miles...I know you didn't drive 100 miles with your exhaust off....
Do you have an O2 Sensor in your CAT..??

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Last edited by LionPT; 25 Jan 2015 at 02:04 pm.
Old 25 Jan 2015, 03:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhoysa View Post
I would suggest checking the fuel pressure just to eliminate that possibility.
Old 25 Jan 2015, 04:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Definitely add injector cleaner to gas...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles