Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Is it time to change the transmission??

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jan 2015, 02:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Is it time to change the transmission??

I was driving down the road at 50MPH, the trans, without a sound, just slipped out of gear. I pulled off the road and no gears would engage. As if the car were in neutral. I pulled a P0700 code, no communication. I took this to mean an electrical problem. I cleared the codes, changed the solenoid block(used part), no change. I changed the PCM w/ built in TCM with a re-manufactured, replaced the used solenoid block with a new one. No change. Still getting P0700. Wiring, at a visual inspection, appears OK. Connectors appear to be OK. I hesitate to change the transmission, only because, the way it quit, there were no damaging noises. It just went into neutral. Also the P0700, no communication code.
I suppose the trans pump could have silently quit working. (That would be the first I ever heard of) But the P0700 code still puzzles me. Why would that code keep re-appearing? Am I out of options? Is it time to change the trans?
Old 27 Jan 2015, 03:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Is it time to change the transmission??

The P0700 fault code is just a generic code meaning somethings wrong with the transaxle. it has to be further diagnosed with a scanner to help pin point the exact problem. Your just throwing parts at the problem until you find out what the real problem is.
767skyking likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Jan 2015, 04:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The P0700 fault code is just a generic code meaning somethings wrong with the transaxle. it has to be further diagnosed with a scanner to help pin point the exact problem. Your just throwing parts at the problem until you find out what the real problem is.
Yep, it means, "Trans control system malfunction" That, I assumed meant electrical. I have no access to a TCM scanner. I would have spent the same amount or more having the vehicle towed to a trans shop and diagnosed. Now I have new parts on an "03". It was a gamble and it ruled out two big options.
My question is, am I out of options, is there anything else it could be?
Old 27 Jan 2015, 04:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm no transmission guru so it'll have to up to someone else to give you an answer on that. Maybe you could rent a scanner at one of the better auto shops that rents tools.
capnpat likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Jan 2015, 05:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

My 03 did the same thing about 130,000 it gave me two warnings the same day, slipped like bumped it into neutral, I let off the gas and it keep going, I was 250 miles from home when it finally gave up. Found a tyranny out of a wreck for $250 and we were on the road again. Sorry I cannot remember if there were any codes.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 28 Jan 2015, 01:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your insight. I have a used trans for it. I guess I was being a little lazy and hoped it was something easy. But, it never is, so I'm going to swap out tranny's and see what happens. I'll post results when I'm done. Thanks
Old 28 Jan 2015, 03:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

up to 05 PTs had a trans control module behind the left inner shield in the wheel well.
Maybe low on fluid or clogged filter
Maybe module
Maybe solenoid valve
Maybe pump

My trans pan had very little deposits...of wear material, no metal flakes
73 Charger SE
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip

Old 28 Jan 2015, 11:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnpat View Post
I was driving down the road at 50MPH, the trans, without a sound, just slipped out of gear. I pulled off the road and no gears would engage. As if the car were in neutral. I pulled a P0700 code, no communication. I took this to mean an electrical problem. I cleared the codes, changed the solenoid block(used part), no change. I changed the PCM w/ built in TCM with a re-manufactured, replaced the used solenoid block with a new one. No change. Still getting P0700. Wiring, at a visual inspection, appears OK. Connectors appear to be OK. I hesitate to change the transmission, only because, the way it quit, there were no damaging noises. It just went into neutral. Also the P0700, no communication code.
I suppose the trans pump could have silently quit working. (That would be the first I ever heard of) But the P0700 code still puzzles me. Why would that code keep re-appearing? Am I out of options? Is it time to change the trans?
I once had the same problem on my PT where the transmission felt like it was in neutral after hard braking. The transmission would engage after I took my foot off the gas. It would do this about once a month for the whole time I owned it. I eventually took it to the dealer and paid $100 for a diagnostic. There was no check engine light but the dealer told me there was one pending trouble code for P0700 (Transmission Control System). There were 2 stored codes P0944 (Loss of Hydraulic Pump Prime) and P0841 (LR Pressure Switch Rationality). There was also code U184 (Lost Communication With Radio). I'm pretty sure that was because I had my radio disconnected for a few days while I was installing the subwoofer so that has nothing to do with this. They basically told me that they would start by replacing the solenoid pack/pressure switch assembly and see if that fixed the problem. I bought the part from the dealer and replaced it myself. So far, I haven't had any issues to date.

My advice is to take your car to Chrysler.

Last edited by Slowrider; 28 Jan 2015 at 11:50 pm.
Old 09 Feb 2015, 12:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Update: I pulled the pan, fluid was serious metal flake sparkle. The magnet had a 1/4" of metal powder on it. The trans is out now, I'll put the new one in within the next few days.

From the looks of all the metal, it probably was the trans all along. I hope.
Old 09 Feb 2015, 01:15 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnpat View Post
Update: I pulled the pan, fluid was serious metal flake sparkle. The magnet had a 1/4" of metal powder on it. The trans is out now, I'll put the new one in within the next few days.

From the looks of all the metal, it probably was the trans all along. I hope.
When I changed mine I also removed the transmission cooler and flushed it.
The preformed transmission cooler lines are highly recommended if you cut yours.
capnpat likes this.
73 Charger SE
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip