PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Embarassing question I have to ask because I made a huge error

 
Like Tree37Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 29 Jan 2015, 07:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere in Central New York. Home of snow, ice, salt, and other nice things lol.
Posts: 46
Default Embarassing question I have to ask because I made a huge error

Hello Guys and Gals,
I have a question. If you can help awesome! If not I at least hope I made you laugh.
HERE GOES:
I was attempting to do my timing belt on my 2007 PT Cruiser Touring, 2.4L B engine (NON turbo), Automatic transmission, NO abs.96,000 miles... and I was doing great. I'm doing other work as well so I removed hood, fenders, bumper, radiator, fan, c/v axles, etc etc and I was flying and I went one bolt too far.
I started to remove the harmonic balancer and I was using a large 3 jaw puller that a worker at advance had said I needed for the job.
I thought it was weird that the end point didn't fit in the crankshaft bolthole but I'm a 38 year old disabled vet that really only knows enough to get myself into trouble... and of course that's what happened. Picture this: it's 30 degrees Fahrenheit, I've been working in said temps for over 6 hours and I'm pumped but tired, I also have bad ADHD. I didn't know it wasn't the GM puller that was required, I didn't realize that it was a generic puller.
So I hear a pop and think awesome here comes the balancer. Nope I got the metal rod stuck in the bolthole and although the harmonic balancer came off I've got a metal rod stuck in the bolthole. To make a long story somewhat shorter I essentially managed to remove the crankshaft sprocket but I ended up using a grinder on the end of the crankshaft, which still contains the metal rod, and two off center drill holes.
FINALLY THE QUESTION IS: would you folks of greater mechanical experience: a) try to drill and tap the bolthole and replace the balancer.
b) replace the crankshaft
c) other.
AND finally: would a ground area on the end of the crankshaft cause a wobble or a problem or is this an autoshop saying buy our parts and spend money??

I would post pics but I still don't get why I can't just upload them and I don't know how to give them a URL or whatever.
BUT any advice for a person who would rather see another 10 years of cruising opposed to trading this in and taking a massive loss, will be greatly appreciated.
THANK YOU
Matt
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 29 Jan 2015, 08:17 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,901
Default Re: Embarassing question I have to ask because I made a huge error

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatt View Post
Hello Guys and Gals,
I have a question. If you can help awesome! If not I at least hope I made you laugh.
HERE GOES:
I was attempting to do my timing belt on my 2007 PT Cruiser Touring, 2.4L B engine (NON turbo), Automatic transmission, NO abs.96,000 miles... and I was doing great. I'm doing other work as well so I removed hood, fenders, bumper, radiator, fan, c/v axles, etc etc and I was flying and I went one bolt too far.
I started to remove the harmonic balancer and I was using a large 3 jaw puller that a worker at advance had said I needed for the job.
I thought it was weird that the end point didn't fit in the crankshaft bolthole but I'm a 38 year old disabled vet that really only knows enough to get myself into trouble... and of course that's what happened. Picture this: it's 30 degrees Fahrenheit, I've been working in said temps for over 6 hours and I'm pumped but tired, I also have bad ADHD. I didn't know it wasn't the GM puller that was required, I didn't realize that it was a generic puller.
So I hear a pop and think awesome here comes the balancer. Nope I got the metal rod stuck in the bolthole and although the harmonic balancer came off I've got a metal rod stuck in the bolthole. To make a long story somewhat shorter I essentially managed to remove the crankshaft sprocket but I ended up using a grinder on the end of the crankshaft, which still contains the metal rod, and two off center drill holes.
FINALLY THE QUESTION IS: would you folks of greater mechanical experience: a) try to drill and tap the bolthole and replace the balancer.
b) replace the crankshaft
c) other.
AND finally: would a ground area on the end of the crankshaft cause a wobble or a problem or is this an autoshop saying buy our parts and spend money??

I would post pics but I still don't get why I can't just upload them and I don't know how to give them a URL or whatever.
BUT any advice for a person who would rather see another 10 years of cruising opposed to trading this in and taking a massive loss, will be greatly appreciated.
THANK YOU
Matt
Really need the pics of the damage. Simple Guide to how to post Photo's on this Forum:

Here is me useing a similar puller. HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 29 Jan 2015, 08:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere in Central New York. Home of snow, ice, salt, and other nice things lol.
Posts: 46
Default Re: Embarassing question I have to ask because I made a huge error

Cool thanks I'm working it now and will have pics up soon. I appreciate both the interest and the help.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 29 Jan 2015, 08:52 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,901
Default Re: Embarassing question I have to ask because I made a huge error

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatt View Post
Cool thanks I'm working it now and will have pics up soon. I appreciate both the interest and the help.
No problem Hope we can get you going in the right direction.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jan 2015, 12:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere in Central New York. Home of snow, ice, salt, and other nice things lol.
Posts: 46
Default Re: Embarassing question I have to ask because I made a huge error


Here is the crankshaft end.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jan 2015, 12:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere in Central New York. Home of snow, ice, salt, and other nice things lol.
Posts: 46
Default Re: Embarassing question I have to ask because I made a huge error





Ok From top to bottom: after I ground metal rod.
After I got harmonic balancer off but before I ground metal rod down.
Harmonic balancer and the hole I made when I used the wrong tool.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jan 2015, 12:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere in Central New York. Home of snow, ice, salt, and other nice things lol.
Posts: 46
Default Re: Embarassing question I have to ask because I made a huge error

Here's car when I first got it and then 2 weeks later after a nasty ford explorer tried to kill it lol.



$5,000 worth of the explorer's insurance money later and she was looking good once more but she needed timing belt and radiator and cosmetic fixes but now I'm not sure if I need to take engine apart and change crankshaft. I can do it but not confident in not making silly error due to my ADD. It can be really frustrating to get done with a huge project and turn around and realize you missed a step.
oh well such is life lol.
I've learned to try to laugh at myself and move on.

Anyways Thanks again for the help. I have this garage space until the end of June so I have time to take my time and plan this accordingly. As I said before the greatest plan means nothing when ADD and inexperience combine. However I can reasonably assure you I WILL NOT MAKE THIS MISTAKE EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!! Lol.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jan 2015, 05:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southern Middle TN
Posts: 33
Default Re: Embarassing question I have to ask because I made a huge error

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatt View Post

Here is the crankshaft end.
Thats a pretty tough situation there. What you need to do is get a very high quality drill bit and tap say a 5/16 tap and corresponding drill bit. Now this is where it is going to be very hard, Im sure the stuck portion of your puller is somewhat hardened and will be very difficult to drill. You need to take a small drill bit and drill in the center of the crank taking care to drill in the center or as close to the center as you can. Go slowly and dont force it. Once you get a hole then take the drill bit for the 5/16 tap and drill that hole. Then you are ready to tap the hole with the tap, make sure you use tap magic or some sort of tap lube oil, be very very very careful as not to force the tap and break it. once the hole is tapped then you can get a slide hammer and thread it into the hole and gently pop it out. As long as the piece is not threaded into the crankshaft that is. Once out you will need to dress the end of the crankshaft so the balancer will go back on.
madmatt likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jan 2015, 10:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere in Central New York. Home of snow, ice, salt, and other nice things lol.
Posts: 46
Default Re: Embarassing question I have to ask because I made a huge error

Thank you very much for the information, I will definitely try that. Let me see if learning and ask you this: if I am drilling on the crankshaft, I absolutely do not want the drill bit to bite and spin the crankshaft, is there a good way to stop that from happening?
And if I do manage to drill and tap this bolt hole, will it cause any problems once it's all back together and spinning will it throw off the balance of the crankshaft or is that me being me?

Also: would you folks do your head gasket if you've essentially disconnected everything from the engine block except the transmission, would you attempt to change the head gasket and piston rings or is that 10 bolts too far for me? Lol.

Again thanks for all the help
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jan 2015, 10:56 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,901
Default Re: Embarassing question I have to ask because I made a huge error

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatt View Post
Thank you very much for the information, I will definitely try that. Let me see if learning and ask you this: if I am drilling on the crankshaft, I absolutely do not want the drill bit to bite and spin the crankshaft, is there a good way to stop that from happening?
And if I do manage to drill and tap this bolt hole, will it cause any problems once it's all back together and spinning will it throw off the balance of the crankshaft or is that me being me?

Also: would you folks do your head gasket if you've essentially disconnected everything from the engine block except the transmission, would you attempt to change the head gasket and piston rings or is that 10 bolts too far for me? Lol.

Again thanks for all the help
It doesn't make any difference if the crank turns. What was that in the crank? And why was it ground off? been nice to had that to get hold of.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Error code question Lacemw Tech & Performance Forum 8 04 Oct 2014 01:55 pm
General question and HUGE THANKS! mahgninnuc68 Tech & Performance Forum 4 19 Feb 2012 05:33 pm
Error code question nobodysfool55 Tech & Performance Forum 5 20 Sep 2011 06:19 am
Anyone have a huge stagger? ScreeminNewbie Wheels, Tires, Suspension 3 23 Jan 2011 09:55 pm
ruff outta the blu & error code question ptcruiserdad Tech & Performance Forum 5 27 Aug 2007 02:39 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors