PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Squealing Belt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jan 2015, 06:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Location: transferred to Spokane, Wa. to be closer to my youngest and her son's
Default Squealing Belt

Hi all, a new question about my 08 touring. 212K I'm riding with my daughter and she asks me why my belts are squealing. I don't hear hi frequencies and can't hear anything. The next day, she went out and started/drove the car. It squeaks on startup but stops. It didn't squeal when she made turns. A local shop said without knowing when the timing belt was last changed, maybe we should change it as long as we are getting at the other belts. I bought the car with 198K, there were a lot of service receipts in the car but none that showed any actual work. It didn't need breaks or shocks or anything else, so it must have been taken care of (belonged to a delivery company). The only thing I've done is a new battery. Is there any way of telling when/if the timing belt should be changed? BTW, we haven't had any appreciable snow this winter so taking your advice on tires/chains was the right call (thanks). I read through the squeaky belt search on the site so I know a lot more now than I did 2 hours ago. Any advice?
Old 30 Jan 2015, 06:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Squealing Belt

well im not sure what 212K equals in Miles but its way over the 100,000 mile mark so im saying it HAS been changed some time in its life now depending on when it was changed and what 212K is in mile sit could be getting close to the second one but i dont thnik the timing belt squeels its most likely the power sterring or the surpentine belt that rund the alt
Old 30 Jan 2015, 08:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If the 212K is current miles, I doubt delivery company would have spent the money to change timing belt a second time, and then sell the car...
Up to you if you combine that expense with changing of other belts - it is not the timing belt that squeals, but you don't want it to break.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Jan 2015, 09:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

All I can say about squealing belts is use GATES belts for all your belt needs. My son replaced the DAYCO belts on his 03 GT for squealing 3 times under warrantee in one year! I told him to buy GATES, he did and no squeal no more!
I don't use any but GATES hoses as well.
Oh and yes GATES does also make timing belt kits but they don't squeal, after 100000 miles or so they shuck a handful of teeth just like Chrysler ones do. Can't complain about that.
Old 08 Feb 2015, 05:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Location: transferred to Spokane, Wa. to be closer to my youngest and her son's

Thank, Don..... I think you're right..... I have to figure that even if it was done early, it hasn't been changed twice ..... so I'm on borrowed time. I don't want to invest in the repair because although I like the car, it won't haul a boat or camp trailer very well and that is something I'm needing....eventually. I guess I'll be trying to trade out/up.
Thanks again for your help.....
Old 08 Feb 2015, 08:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pair View Post
Thank, Don..... I think you're right..... I have to figure that even if it was done early, it hasn't been changed twice ..... so I'm on borrowed time. I don't want to invest in the repair because although I like the car, it won't haul a boat or camp trailer very well and that is something I'm needing....eventually. I guess I'll be trying to trade out/up.
Thanks again for your help.....
True.
PT is rated to tow 1,000 pounds.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles