Advertisements
07 PT Fan Relay bypass (TIPM?)

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sanatanadharma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jan 2015, 09:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 07 PT Fan Relay bypass (TIPM?)

My TIPM is messing up on my PT. I have no pass. Low beam and my fan will not come on at all now. I can put power directly from battery to one of the relays (the ones on the fan itself) and the fan runs on full speed just fine. Nothing happens when I put power to the other relay though. I jumped the actual relays themselves from the battery, and they click just fine. This is leading me to believe that the TIPM issue that I is causing my pass. low beam not to come on is the same culprit causing my fan not to work.

Is there a way I can just bypass this damn TIPM altogether? I'm a poor working schlub with very little money, and I can't afford the 1K fix from the dealer, and I can't be without my car to send the TIPM to rock auto(?) for them to rebuild. I've lived without the pass. low beam for months on end, but this not having a fan is really starting to grate on my nerves.

I have no qualms wiring it to a toggle switch, but I'm not entirely sure how to do that. I'm a good mechanic, but I am not so good with electrical wiring.

I've already resigned myself to saving up for a standalone HID low beam kit to "fix" my low beam issue, but I don't really want to spend 100.00 on an aftermarket fan if I can just "fix" the one I have.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 09:31 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 07 PT Fan Relay bypass (TIPM?)

My low beams were not working when I purchased my 06 and a tipm from rockauto for much less than $1000 fixed the problem. The wires connections on the bottom of the TIPM are all in keyed slots. Take your time , you cannot go wrong unless you try to force the old connectors off and break them off. Shouldn't take more than 45 min and much less if you have worked on these vehicles before.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 31 Jan 2015, 10:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, it's still WAY out of my budget though :\
Old 31 Jan 2015, 10:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FubarGrn View Post
My TIPM is messing up on my PT. I have no pass. Low beam and my fan will not come on at all now. I can put power directly from battery to one of the relays (the ones on the fan itself) and the fan runs on full speed just fine. Nothing happens when I put power to the other relay though. I jumped the actual relays themselves from the battery, and they click just fine. This is leading me to believe that the TIPM issue that I is causing my pass. low beam not to come on is the same culprit causing my fan not to work.

Is there a way I can just bypass this damn TIPM altogether? I'm a poor working schlub with very little money, and I can't afford the 1K fix from the dealer, and I can't be without my car to send the TIPM to rock auto(?) for them to rebuild. I've lived without the pass. low beam for months on end, but this not having a fan is really starting to grate on my nerves.

I have no qualms wiring it to a toggle switch, but I'm not entirely sure how to do that. I'm a good mechanic, but I am not so good with electrical wiring.

I've already resigned myself to saving up for a standalone HID low beam kit to "fix" my low beam issue, but I don't really want to spend 100.00 on an aftermarket fan if I can just "fix" the one I have.
I would suggest that one of the speeds on your radiator fan might not be working. When I got my new radiator fan the connector was no good on it. I had to replace it with the original connector from the original radiator fan that came with my 2007 PT Cruiser. You can possibly save money by replacing the brushes inside the radiator fan but I don't like taking chances and having the engine overheat. A blown head gasket costs a lot more than a new radiator fan.

You can send NitroPT a private message asking him how to setup the wiring to turn on the radiator fan yourself but not sure if he knows for a 2007 PT Cruiser?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 31 Jan 2015 at 10:24 am.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 11:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

alright new development. I can actually jump the relay CONNECTOR and it will turn on the fan, so power is actually AT the relay connectors. I'm kinda at a loss here, because I can make the relays click which tells me they are okay but the fan will not come on unless I jump the prongs on the connector that the relays plug in to which tells me the relays are bad.

I'm about to the point where I want to use a standalone adjustable controller for the fan. The fan run FINE, and man that thing can suck some air! I can literally feel the suction on the front of the radiator when the fan is on. I would just replace the relays, but they are 20 bucks a piece at advance. I don't want to run that fan all of the time, so just straight hot wiring it to a switched 12v is an undesirable option. The standalone fan controller likeImperial Adjustable Thermostatic Fan Control 226203: Advance Auto Parts is what I'm looking at using.

okay, just because my relays click doesn't mean they actually work. Question: One relay controls low side, one controls high side. Since neither work, could both just go bad? When I purchased the car, the timing belt went out and when the car lot "fixed it" the fan just stopped working. I don't see how both of those relays could just suddenly go bad. If one went out, could the other just not work?

Last edited by FubarGrn; 31 Jan 2015 at 11:14 am. Reason: additional info
Old 31 Jan 2015, 12:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
alright new development. I can actually jump the relay CONNECTOR and it will turn on the fan, so power is actually AT the relay connectors. I'm kinda at a loss here, because I can make the relays click which tells me they are okay but the fan will not come on unless I jump the prongs on the connector that the relays plug in to which tells me the relays are bad.

I'm about to the point where I want to use a standalone adjustable controller for the fan. The fan run FINE, and man that thing can suck some air! I can literally feel the suction on the front of the radiator when the fan is on. I would just replace the relays, but they are 20 bucks a piece at advance. I don't want to run that fan all of the time, so just straight hot wiring it to a switched 12v is an undesirable option. The standalone fan controller likeImperial Adjustable Thermostatic Fan Control 226203: Advance Auto Parts is what I'm looking at using.

okay, just because my relays click doesn't mean they actually work. Question: One relay controls low side, one controls high side. Since neither work, could both just go bad? When I purchased the car, the timing belt went out and when the car lot "fixed it" the fan just stopped working. I don't see how both of those relays could just suddenly go bad. If one went out, could the other just not work?
I suspect you have one bad relay and one bad speed on your fan. From your description, it sounds like the high speed works.
The relays should be identical, so try swapping them and see what you get.

You won't like learning how much a 2003 GT fan costs...
It is probably the brushes that are worn out on low speed, and people have replaced the brushes cheaply.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 31 Jan 2015, 04:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Here are two electrical schematics. The second is the connector at the radiator.
The first shows the various components involved in the systems that command the fan relays from the TIPM for the AC/heater system.
Notice that the fan receives power via three different parallel circuits, and one is protected by a fuse.
These schematics come from the Autoone site. The site doesn't have a cooling system schematic showing those sensors. However the fan is controlled by the same four wire circuits from the TIPM (A16, N112, N201, Z903).

Old 31 Jan 2015, 04:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

Are you getting any engine trouble codes?
If you are then it might tell you if the low speed or the high speed on the radiator fan is not working.
Bottom line is that you need to confirm low speed and high speed on radiator fan is working before looking at fan relays, TIPM, etc.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 31 Jan 2015 at 04:16 pm.