Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Mysterious overheating.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jan 2015, 12:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Mysterious overheating.

2001 PT Cruiser 2.4L has been starting to overheat. When I have idling the temperature gauge starts to rise. This is where it gets odd. If I have the fan set to anything on the heat side the temperature gauge keeps rising. But if I switch it over to the air conditioning side the temperature gauge will show that the engine is now cooling off and running at a normal temp but sometimes even then my temp gauge will go about 3/4 before it starts to cool down. Also sometimes (it's been pretty sporadic) my blower will seem like it's not pushing out the normal amount of air but when I shut the car off and wait an hour or so it's fine again. The thermostat has been replaced and I hit a raccoon last year and had to replace my radiator. I have no clue what could cause it to be doing the rest of this.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 03:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Mysterious overheating.

Sounds like you may have two problems. One of the fan speeds may be burnt out (common problem) and the Low Pressure Switch, also known as the Recycling Switch (located on top of the accumulator) may be bad (not so common problem).

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 03:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

When the engine is COLD, take the radiator cap off the thermostat housing and make sure it's filled to the top. It may be a good idea to pressure test the cooling system to check for leaks. Also, check to make sure the radiator cooling fans are operating at both speeds.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 06:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've been trying to search for a low pressure switch with no luck. Any clues? Or will I have to go to a dealer :/
Old 31 Jan 2015, 06:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Shouldn't be hard to find. Chrysler part No.#5016-417AA Switch Kit. A/C Cycling.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 07:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your overheating problem is because your low speed on engine fan doesn't work - turning on A/C causes the high speed on fan to come on, which cools off engine.
Don't know about your airflow issue.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 31 Jan 2015, 07:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That air flow problem is something I had and it was traced down to the Recycling switch so that's way I mentioned it as a probably cause.