PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Grrrr!!! Weird overheating.

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02 Feb 2015, 12:12 pm
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Missouri
Posts: 430
Default Grrrr!!! Weird overheating.

So I decided to take my car to get my girls from Nana's house yesterday. GrapeApe had been running great. On the way there, 90 minutes or so away, she ran great. On the way back, however, is a different story.

I got a little over half way back when the temp gauge started to rise. I watched it like a hawk, don't want to blow my head gasket. It rose from the 3 o'clock position to the next mark and hovered there. Then as I went through an interchange she went to the next mark. I was freaking out. It was cold. Had my kids. Wife was at work. I could not break down now.

Well, after the interchange she topped the gauge and the light and dinger sounded. I pulled off into a gas station within a minute. I shut her down. Got out to put some water in her after checking the overflow tank, I thought it was empty. As I poured water in it just ran out of the overflow pipe. I sat for about five minutes and she cooled off. So I chanced driving it further. My wife called then. I met her at the place we were getting dinner she took the girls and dinner home. That was about 15 miles further. She was at about the 2 o'clock position and topped the gauge as I pulled into the place to meet my wife.

I sat for about five more minutes and she had cooled off again. So off I went. Within a few minutes she got too hot and alarmed again. So this time I sat for about 15 minutes, facing the 20 mph 20 degree or so wind. She cooled way off this time. So I was able to drive her home. The funny thing is after the gauge started to go up the first time, I lost my heat. I'm thinking it may be the thermostat. I also checked the radiator the last time I stopped it felt cool and there was spots of ice in the fins.

Could this be the thermostat? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post. Just wanted to tell you what happened.
__________________


2005 Purple Pt Touring 130k Still Running Strong

New timing belt and water pump at 130k.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02 Feb 2015, 12:24 pm
LionPT's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,420
Default Re: Grrrr!!! Weird overheating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeApe View Post
So I decided to take my car to get my girls from Nana's house yesterday. GrapeApe had been running great. On the way there, 90 minutes or so away, she ran great. On the way back, however, is a different story.

I got a little over half way back when the temp gauge started to rise. I watched it like a hawk, don't want to blow my head gasket. It rose from the 3 o'clock position to the next mark and hovered there. Then as I went through an interchange she went to the next mark. I was freaking out. It was cold. Had my kids. Wife was at work. I could not break down now.

Well, after the interchange she topped the gauge and the light and dinger sounded. I pulled off into a gas station within a minute. I shut her down. Got out to put some water in her after checking the overflow tank, I thought it was empty. As I poured water in it just ran out of the overflow pipe. I sat for about five minutes and she cooled off. So I chanced driving it further. My wife called then. I met her at the place we were getting dinner she took the girls and dinner home. That was about 15 miles further. She was at about the 2 o'clock position and topped the gauge as I pulled into the place to meet my wife.

I sat for about five more minutes and she had cooled off again. So off I went. Within a few minutes she got too hot and alarmed again. So this time I sat for about 15 minutes, facing the 20 mph 20 degree or so wind. She cooled way off this time. So I was able to drive her home. The funny thing is after the gauge started to go up the first time, I lost my heat. I'm thinking it may be the thermostat. I also checked the radiator the last time I stopped it felt cool and there was spots of ice in the fins.

Could this be the thermostat? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post. Just wanted to tell you what happened.
Sounds like your not getting any water flow...if your not losing fluid, you either have a clog or it's possible the fins on the water pump have rusted off.
__________________

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02 Feb 2015, 12:31 pm
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Missouri
Posts: 430
Default Re: Grrrr!!! Weird overheating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Sounds like your not getting any water flow...if your not losing fluid, you either have a clog or it's possible the fins on the water pump have rusted off.
After I got home and it sat for a few hours I had to go to the store. It warmed up fine and had heat. I forgot to add that to the OP.
__________________


2005 Purple Pt Touring 130k Still Running Strong

New timing belt and water pump at 130k.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02 Feb 2015, 01:38 pm
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: Grrrr!!! Weird overheating.

Just me, but I always start with thermostat - it's cheap, and then you can rule it out if problems continue.
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02 Feb 2015, 06:18 pm
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Missouri
Posts: 430
Default Re: Grrrr!!! Weird overheating.

Just got back from a trip uptown. Noticed steam coming from under my hood. When I opened it I found coolant all over that side of the engine. After closer inspection, I think I figured out what is wrong. Bad radiator cap. The seal seems to be deformed on one side. Hence fluid everywhere and overheating. I should have looked at this a while back when I was overheating then too.
__________________


2005 Purple Pt Touring 130k Still Running Strong

New timing belt and water pump at 130k.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02 Feb 2015, 06:31 pm
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: Grrrr!!! Weird overheating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeApe View Post
Just got back from a trip uptown. Noticed steam coming from under my hood. When I opened it I found coolant all over that side of the engine. After closer inspection, I think I figured out what is wrong. Bad radiator cap. The seal seems to be deformed on one side. Hence fluid everywhere and overheating. I should have looked at this a while back when I was overheating then too.
Boy, that would be nice and easy!
Could be....
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03 Feb 2015, 03:07 pm
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Missouri
Posts: 430
Default Re: Grrrr!!! Weird overheating.

UPDATE: I was driving to get food and it started to overheat again. Stopped and got a new rad cap. No more overheating. I put her through her paces and nada. So..... Fingers crossed.
__________________


2005 Purple Pt Touring 130k Still Running Strong

New timing belt and water pump at 130k.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
overheating weird problem... nor11384 Tech & Performance Forum 37 02 May 2013 07:35 pm
Weird.... Busa_Powered General PT Cruiser Discussions 12 23 Jun 2011 10:05 pm
02 PT Cruiser Overheating (Very Weird issue) HDuece2 General PT Cruiser Discussions 19 12 Feb 2011 10:22 pm
grrrr someone help me please!!!~! rkagan Tech & Performance Forum 4 20 Jun 2010 03:04 pm
Washer fluid damage..grrrr Espresso The Detail Shop 2 12 Jun 2005 12:36 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors