Advertisements
Clean out Air Intake

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Feb 2015, 04:39 pm
Young Cruiser

Red face Clean out Air Intake

This is my second try.

I had someone spray imidacloprid poison into my air intake. My son fought in Afghanistan, used the poison on locals. I thought it was only on the radiator, but after cleaning it several times, we popped the hood, he noticed the air intake screws were loose, and we took it off, then the air intake screen behind the windshield washer fluid reservoir, and the smell was obvious. Someone had jimmied the front hood open, and then clumsily at night opened the air intake and used a sprayer on the intake itself.

I have a haynes manual, and the poison has glycerine as an additive. I could prolly use ammonia and get it off, but the manual does not have ANY pics which explain a few things, so if you guys could indulge me and give me advice or info, I'd appreciate it.

1. Does the bottom of the air intake have an outlet that goes onto the ground? If I use a water/soap/ammonia paper towel to wipe out the intake vents, will residue drop out onto the ground?

2. If it does, what about the dash filter? I found references about it online, but cannot find a location for it in the Haynes manual. Is there one? What terms can I use to find a scheme that shows where it is located and clean it out? An online Chilton reference my library has did not work at all.

How is it replaced?

3. Any help on how to clean it out? Anyone know how to clean it?

The poison is used to kill insects except spiders.

The problem seems to be in how to get something introduced into the intake system removed. Is there some sort of stopgap? What can I do? Does the intake vent or open to the ground? What would happen if say, someone poured water over it? would it drop to the ground or flood the car interior?

4. Does this go right into the blower? Our place was sprayed by someone and they sprayed right beneath it on our heater intake, this seems like the same thing. Is there a way to disassemble the vent system easily?

BTW, I did not post anything else but the above and am not going to post anything else either. I have had a problem with the perps following me online and getting things "changed", so other than this, I have not posted anything more.

I was surprised at how little info is online about the HVAC connections, basically none at all. When in the past I had to replace a heater core, if a neighbor had not helped I never would have gotten it, and I seem to be having the same problem here. One pic, no explanations.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 03 Feb 2015, 05:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Clean out Air Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardFields71 View Post
This is my second try.

I had someone spray imidacloprid poison into my air intake. My son fought in Afghanistan, used the poison on locals. I thought it was only on the radiator, but after cleaning it several times, we popped the hood, he noticed the air intake screws were loose, and we took it off, then the air intake screen behind the windshield washer fluid reservoir, and the smell was obvious. Someone had jimmied the front hood open, and then clumsily at night opened the air intake and used a sprayer on the intake itself.

I have a haynes manual, and the poison has glycerine as an additive. I could prolly use ammonia and get it off, but the manual does not have ANY pics which explain a few things, so if you guys could indulge me and give me advice or info, I'd appreciate it.

1. Does the bottom of the air intake have an outlet that goes onto the ground? If I use a water/soap/ammonia paper towel to wipe out the intake vents, will residue drop out onto the ground?

There's no outlet on the bottom of the air intake, only the pipe on the side of the box that goes into the fenderwell that pulls in outside air.

2. If it does, what about the dash filter? I found references about it online, but cannot find a location for it in the Haynes manual. Is there one? What terms can I use to find a scheme that shows where it is located and clean it out? An online Chilton reference my library has did not work at all.

The dash filter is completely separate from the air intake for the engine. It's located on the passenger side near the firewall but hidden from site. It only filter the air coming into the cabin when you have the control knob pointed on outside air.

How is it replaced?

3. Any help on how to clean it out? Anyone know how to clean it?

The poison is used to kill insects except spiders.

The problem seems to be in how to get something introduced into the intake system removed. Is there some sort of stopgap? What can I do? Does the intake vent or open to the ground? What would happen if say, someone poured water over it? would it drop to the ground or flood the car interior?

4. Does this go right into the blower? Our place was sprayed by someone and they sprayed right beneath it on our heater intake, this seems like the same thing. Is there a way to disassemble the vent system easily?

I posted a u-tute video on the replacement of the canin filter so you can see where it's at and how to get to it.

BTW, I did not post anything else but the above and am not going to post anything else either. I have had a problem with the perps following me online and getting things "changed", so other than this, I have not posted anything more.

I was surprised at how little info is online about the HVAC connections, basically none at all. When in the past I had to replace a heater core, if a neighbor had not helped I never would have gotten it, and I seem to be having the same problem here. One pic, no explanations.

Any help is appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Feb 2015, 05:49 pm
Young Cruiser

Argh, it would do the quotes. It also did not show the youtube link, but now it is.

Thank you for your reply! I was going to try and dump water into the intake to see what would happen, that would have done something awful. I am assuming the blower is beneath the vent.

Okay,

>There's no outlet on the bottom of the air intake, only the pipe on the side of the box that goes into the fenderwell that pulls in outside air.

Oh, my gosh, then I would have screwed something up big time. Thank you!

>The dash filter is completely separate from the air intake for the engine. It's located on the passenger side near the firewall but hidden from site. It only filter the air coming into the cabin when you have the control knob pointed on outside air.

Okay, so the intake that is behind the windshield wiper fluid reservoir, that is the one this filter is connected to? We can smell the poison in that hole. I need to clean that out. Any suggestions?

The filter has been removed completely. Thanks for the video. I'll need to get another one, and another tool to remove the right hand screw, and then use the ammonia and later soap to clean off the inside of the intake vent. Wow. So it does not have a place at the bottom to let the water out. I almost made a huge mistake! Thank you!
Old 03 Feb 2015, 06:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardFields71 View Post
The filter has been removed completely. Thanks for the video. I'll need to get another one, and another tool to remove the right hand screw, and then use the ammonia and later soap to clean off the inside of the intake vent. Wow. So it does not have a place at the bottom to let the water out. I almost made a huge mistake! Thank you!
The housing for the air intake for the engine doesn't have a hole at the bottom to let any air out.

The cabin filter since it's sits vertical, doesn't have an actual hole to let water out, but any water or liquid would run out of the area down to the ground and should get into the filter itself. No PT came with the filter installed, just the space for the owner to add a filter if desired.

Lots of owners use the FRABREZE spray to get rid of bad smells in the air conditioning system. After cleaning whatever you can, yo might want to get some and spray everywhere.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Feb 2015, 06:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I saw your earlier post & didn't have any answers for you...
It would seem to me that you might have to remove or replace all the plastic in the venting system, but I'm not sure.

good luck

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 03 Feb 2015, 07:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Okay let's look at this.

First, this is my specialty. I do this for a living. I have college degrees, certifications, government and private experience, and all kinds of good things hanging on my wall so people will pay me lots of money to help them with this specific kind of stuff.

Second, Imidacloprid is a common insecticide used in agriculture. I don't know why anyone would be using this on "locals" in Afghanistan unless it was to kill lice. It's only mildly toxic and you would have to consume a whole lot to substantially impact your health unless you are an insect.

Third, why would anybody spray this into a car's air intake? But if they did, the only effect would likely be to spoil the air filter. Just take the air filter housing and intake hose off and wash it out at the car wash. This insecticide is water soluble and chemically breaks down when wet under sunlight. It will not hurt the city sewer since it will likely be denatured by the soapy water before it hits the drain.

Four, there's stuff all over the internet about how the HVAC system on a PT Cruiser works. Like on most cars, the air for the HVAC on a PT Cruiser comes in through the cowling between the hood and windshield. On most 2003 and up PT's, there's a cabin filter housing under the cowling on the far passenger side. However, most PT's did not come from the factory with a filter in that filter housing. Unless someone sprayed insecticide directly into the cowling while the HVAC was on, it's not going to be in the HVAC system. Just wipe out the area beneath the cowling with soapy water. And change the cabin filter if there is one. If not, add one.

Five, if it is in your HVAC system, there's several things you can try. The easiest will be to turn the heater on high with the engine running, roll down the windows and just let the car sit running for several hours in a warm outdoor environment. This will effect "air scrubbing" and will like remove the majority of it.

If you are worried about the effects for family members, you may be able to do medical monitoring on individuals that have not yet been exposed. I'm not sure about Imidacloprid, but many pesticides inhibit cholinesterase (ChE). The unexposed individual might have a ChE blood test. And then have one a week or so later after riding in the car. If the ChE is depressed, than there is an indication of at least passive exposure. You will have to ask a doctor if Imidacloprid depresses ChE. I could look it up, but I'm tired. And I suspect this incident may be bogus.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 04 Feb 2015 at 07:56 am.
Old 03 Feb 2015, 08:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sounds like a bunch of nonsense to me. Someone jimmied open your hood, took the intake apart to spray insecticide there, (the same one your military son used on the locals in Afghanistan, presumably to poison them), and then put it all back together. All this in an effort to poison you too?? Ya, ok.

There are a lot of twisted people in the world, and I don't put anything past anyone, but the fact that you are implicating your son and the military as using this insecticide on the Afghan locals, makes me come to the conclusion that this thread is nonsense.

Last edited by myckee; 03 Feb 2015 at 08:27 pm.
Old 03 Feb 2015, 09:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Sounds like a bunch of nonsense to me. Someone jimmied open your hood, took the intake apart to spray insecticide there, (the same one your military son used on the locals in Afghanistan, presumably to poison them), and then put it all back together. All this in an effort to poison you too?? Ya, ok.

There are a lot of twisted people in the world, and I don't put anything past anyone, but the fact that you are implicating your son and the military as using this insecticide on the Afghan locals, makes me come to the conclusion that this thread is nonsense.
I have my doubts, also....
WAY too much detail.
How would you know what was sprayed in your intake? Smell?
And if you knew what it was, you wouldn't worry about it, as Handy confirmed, and your knowledge of it "Being used on locals in Afghanistan" and it's only an insecticide.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Feb 2015, 11:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Clean it with ordinary isopropyl alcohol, spray and wipe all accessible areas let set a day or so and replace with a fresh air cleaner.

As far as poisoning....I was trained (our government) once on many aspects of poisoning (biological warfare) and can tell ya.... that your were not poisoned.
Give me a can of sardines and will show you what poising really is!

Just when I think I have red all the silly and amusing things on a automotive forum?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 04 Feb 2015, 01:23 am
Cool Cruiser

imidacloprid is used in the flea spray we have for the dogs and cats.

It 'works' but very slowly on fleas and does not seem to have harmed me the wife or any of the dogs and cats that live here.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.

Tags
intake hvac air filter