PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT Cruiser Touring Temperature Gauge Stuck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Feb 2015, 01:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT Cruiser Touring Temperature Gauge Stuck

Hello Everyone,

Newbie here and have searched endlessly looking as to what makes the temperature gauge stay on cold,bottom of gauge after doing the folling to try and remedy it. The gauge before doing the list below was stuck on blue.

Have done the following
1) Replaced thermostat and ETC sensor and bled coolant.
2) Checked and cleaned all relays and fuses
3) Replaced upper radiator hose
4) New battery and terminals all clean
5) New PCM power control module
6) Checked and no check engine light or problem codes from scan
7) With car running the inside heater works blows hot air
8) The upper radiator hose is hotter than bottom hose with car run.
9) The fan comes on when AC is turned on
10) With using the turn key scenerio on,off,on,off,on,off to go thru checking the dash gauges, all gauges seemed to function properly, even the temp gauge.

Question also is would the (VSS) vehicle speed sensor have anything to do with that gauge not function proper ?

I would rather not put after market temperature gauge on !

Anyone have a solution ? Thanks a truck load in advance.
Old 05 Feb 2015, 01:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Cruiser Touring Temperature Gauge Stuck

Did you test the gauge itself? There's an easy way of doing it. While pushing the reset button IN, turn the key (with the other hand) to the ON position. Don't actually start the engine. As soon as the numbers on the odometer start to count upwards (ex: 111111111, 2222222222, 333333 etc.) leave go of the key and the button. When the numbers go through their routine, the dials (one at a time) starting on the left gauge, start to test. First the gas gauge then the temperature gauge, then the speedometer, then the tach. The needle on each gauge goes to 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 full, then it goes on to the next gauge.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Feb 2015, 01:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Did you test the gauge itself? There's an easy way of doing it. While pushing the reset button IN, turn the key (with the other hand) to the ON position. Don't actually start the engine. As soon as the numbers on the odometer start to count upwards (ex: 111111111, 2222222222, 333333 etc.) leave go of the key and the button. When the numbers go through their routine, the dials (one at a time) starting on the left gauge, start to test. First the gas gauge then the temperature gauge, then the speedometer, then the tach. The needle on each gauge goes to 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 full, then it goes on to the next gauge.
I thought that he was describing that in his item # 10.... and said temp gauge was fine...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Feb 2015, 01:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Correct quick sliver I noticed I put that wrong after reading crewzins response.

Yes I did it that way and all gauges worked fine.

I did have some work done on the suspension, new moog parts. Maybe the shop that installed those parts may of cut a wire, It was strange as when I was leaving that shop the mechanic went out of his way to point out that pt cruisers are prone to over heat. Been bugging me since he said it. Won't take it there again as I had to take it back to put the spacers in they left out.

Last edited by BlueShoes; 05 Feb 2015 at 02:06 pm. Reason: possibles
Old 05 Feb 2015, 02:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShoes View Post
Correct quick sliver I noticed I put that wrong after reading crewzins response.

Yes I did it that way and all gauges worked fine.

I did have some work done on the suspension, new moog parts. Maybe the shop that installed those parts may of cut a wire, It was strange as when I was leaving that shop the mechanic went out of his way to point out that pt cruisers are prone to over heat. Been bugging me since he said it. Won't take it there again as I had to take it back to put the spacers in they left out.
Well, then follow the wiring from temp sensor (which you replaced).
Put a meter on the wires going to temp sensor with ignition on - you should see some voltage on the wires.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 05 Feb 2015, 03:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Does the fan come on without the ac on? Have you check the temp with a infrared temp gun? Have you any codes? No the speed sensor would not be involved. If fan is cycling properly with ac off. It's the gauge itself. That can be replaced with a used cluster.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Feb 2015, 01:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Well, then follow the wiring from temp sensor (which you replaced).
Put a meter on the wires going to temp sensor with ignition on - you should see some voltage on the wires.
Voltage seems fine
Old 06 Feb 2015, 02:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Does the fan come on without the ac on? Have you check the temp with a infrared temp gun? Have you any codes? No the speed sensor would not be involved. If fan is cycling properly with ac off. It's the gauge itself. That can be replaced with a used cluster.
Busted in reference to VSS, Again is it possible the ECT & VSS could be a factor ?

In the Haynes book which isn't a great repair manual on Chapter 3-1 it states:

There are 2 different types of cooling systems installed on these vehicles.

1) Non-turbo-charged models are equipped with a two speed electric motor and fan assembly. "Radiator fan operation is controlled by the PCM in response to signals by the ECT and VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor." Power to the fan is switched using the low or high speed relays.

2) Turbo-charged models are equipped with a varible speed electric motor and fan assembly. Radiatorfan operation is controlled by the PCM using a pulse width modulated signal(varible). Fan performance is controlled over many speeds to improve cooling.

(If not mistaken I believe there is a high and low Vehicle Speed Sensor)

(Thinking out LOUD--My question would be - Would one control the high or low fan speed in conjunction with the high and low fan relays ?) (Therefore could it be a possiblity that either I or others could be having a tuff time finding a solution ? )

I get to work on the car this weekend.

Last edited by BlueShoes; 06 Feb 2015 at 02:22 pm.
Old 06 Feb 2015, 03:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShoes View Post
Busted in reference to VSS, Again is it possible the ECT & VSS could be a factor ?

In the Haynes book which isn't a great repair manual on Chapter 3-1 it states:

There are 2 different types of cooling systems installed on these vehicles.

1) Non-turbo-charged models are equipped with a two speed electric motor and fan assembly. "Radiator fan operation is controlled by the PCM in response to signals by the ECT and VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor." Power to the fan is switched using the low or high speed relays.

2) Turbo-charged models are equipped with a varible speed electric motor and fan assembly. Radiatorfan operation is controlled by the PCM using a pulse width modulated signal(varible). Fan performance is controlled over many speeds to improve cooling.

(If not mistaken I believe there is a high and low Vehicle Speed Sensor)

(Thinking out LOUD--My question would be - Would one control the high or low fan speed in conjunction with the high and low fan relays ?) (Therefore could it be a possiblity that either I or others could be having a tuff time finding a solution ? )

I get to work on the car this weekend.

Blue, is your pt a TURBO or non- turbo ?

-2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT
-Patriot Blue, Bright Silver Metallic rear spoiler, billet grille, 17" chrome wheels, hyperground cable, Spectre short ram CAI
-119,000 miles and counting ...
Old 06 Feb 2015, 04:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03TXPTGT View Post
Blue, is your pt a TURBO or non- turbo ?
" 2001 PT Cruiser Touring Temperature Gauge Stuck"

Therefore non-turbo...

Tags
coolant, gauges, speed sensor