PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Two Questions: Error on Odometer and Instrument Cluster removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Feb 2015, 07:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Two Questions: Error on Odometer and Instrument Cluster removal

Hello everyone.

I recently got a PT Cruiser in excellent physical shape, but with a bunch of electrical problems that I've been working through.

My task-du-jour is getting the instrument cluster repaired/replaced. Currently the odometer shows "Error". The general consensus seems to be to replace it. However, being the cheap person I am, I was thinking I'm going to walk over it with a solder iron before I break down and spring for a new Instrument Cluster.

Couple questions:
  1. Does anyone have a link to remove the Instrument Cluster for a 2006-2010. I have found the other videos that deal with older models, and I'm after something for my model year.
  2. Does this car store the odometer reading in the cluster or is it stored on the PCM
  3. If it is stored on the cluster, does anyone know what the eeprom is, and possibly have a dump of one? (Assume I'm exceptionally well equipped to deal with reading chips)
  4. And while I'm at it, does anyone have the *Correct* service manual for this year. I've found the 2000 page one, but the schematics aren't correct and AllData is useless.

Thanks for any information!

Cheers
(PS: I've searched the forums, and there is an enormous amount of results for "Odometer")
Old 05 Feb 2015, 08:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Two Questions: Error on Odometer and Instrument Cluster removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbestwick View Post
Hello everyone.

I recently got a PT Cruiser in excellent physical shape, but with a bunch of electrical problems that I've been working through.

My task-du-jour is getting the instrument cluster repaired/replaced. Currently the odometer shows "Error". The general consensus seems to be to replace it. However, being the cheap person I am, I was thinking I'm going to walk over it with a solder iron before I break down and spring for a new Instrument Cluster.

Couple questions:
  1. Does anyone have a link to remove the Instrument Cluster for a 2006-2010. I have found the other videos that deal with older models, and I'm after something for my model year.
  2. Does this car store the odometer reading in the cluster or is it stored on the PCM
  3. If it is stored on the cluster, does anyone know what the eeprom is, and possibly have a dump of one? (Assume I'm exceptionally well equipped to deal with reading chips)
  4. And while I'm at it, does anyone have the *Correct* service manual for this year. I've found the 2000 page one, but the schematics aren't correct and AllData is useless.

Thanks for any information!

Cheers
(PS: I've searched the forums, and there is an enormous amount of results for "Odometer")

It's pretty easy...
Pull off the the driver & passenger pillars & starting at the 2 end corners...pop out the corners of the dash...then take a flat plastic tool & just pull it along the front of the dash. Once the few clips are popped...just grab the back on the dash & pull it forward.

Watch this video about 1 min in.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Last edited by LionPT; 05 Feb 2015 at 08:53 pm.