PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
NEED HELP WITH REAR HATCH ON MY 06 PT

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Mar 2015, 08:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default NEED HELP WITH REAR HATCH ON MY 06 PT

My rear hatch door won't open with The door handle, but it does open with with the key! Also the rear wiper doesn't work. Where should i start? All the info is greatly appreciated.
Old 06 Mar 2015, 08:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: NEED HELP WITH REAR HATCH ON MY 06 PT

Open the hatch & remove the plastic to the 3rd brake light, pull off the right & left side pieces. Under the hatch lock you'll see a 'pin', pry out the inner pin with a screwdriver, then remove the 'pin'. Grab the plastic at one of the sides...where you removed the side pieces...and pull off the back cover.
Now you will see the wiper motor & lock controls.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 07 Mar 2015, 07:33 am
Veteran Cruiser

The dysfunction of the rear washer and the rear lift gate latch are probably unrelated. I wrote a thread on how to repair the latch dysfunction not too long ago. It involved replacing the pressure sensitive switch with a new lift gate handle from Chrysler (about $100) and replacing the remoter key less entry module (about ($130) and then having Chrysler reconfigure the new module to my PT. (standard fee is $45). Not cheep, but successful! The thread showed a few photos accessing and removing the module. I'm pressed for time this morning so I can't look for it, but someone from the forum should remember the thread and point you to it.When the pressure switch dysfunctions it invariably locks in the open position, burning out that function in the remote module. The pressure switch fails over time and is a week point in this design. Good luck. ptprice
Old 07 Mar 2015, 10:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
The dysfunction of the rear washer and the rear lift gate latch are probably unrelated. I wrote a thread on how to repair the latch dysfunction not too long ago. It involved replacing the pressure sensitive switch with a new lift gate handle from Chrysler (about $100) and replacing the remoter key less entry module (about ($130) and then having Chrysler reconfigure the new module to my PT. (standard fee is $45). Not cheep, but successful! The thread showed a few photos accessing and removing the module. I'm pressed for time this morning so I can't look for it, but someone from the forum should remember the thread and point you to it.When the pressure switch dysfunctions it invariably locks in the open position, burning out that function in the remote module. The pressure switch fails over time and is a week point in this design. Good luck. ptprice
Good to know. Isn't the dash warning symbol for the liftgate on when this happens? It would bother me if it stays on all the time when I am driving my PT Cruisers. I have read that the "pressure pad" momentary electric switch on the back of the emblem, that unlatches the door is popular for going out.

Liftgate touchpad replacement

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 07 Mar 2015 at 11:09 am.
Old 07 Mar 2015, 11:32 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Good to know. Isn't the dash warning symbol for the liftgate on when this happens? It would bother me if it stays on all the time when I am driving my PT Cruisers. I have read that the "pressure pad" momentary electric switch on the back of the emblem, that unlatches the door is popular for going out.
Unless you have the Information Display Screen Display option on the 2006-2010 Cruisers, you have no light.
Capture.JPG

Standard Setup
Capture2.JPG

Quote:
This is what I did...bypassed the touch pad.

Old 07 Mar 2015, 11:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Unless you have the Information Display Screen Display option on the 2006-2010 Cruisers, you have no light.
Attachment 12619

Standard Setup
Attachment 12620

This is what I did...bypassed the touch pad.

On one of my PT Cruisers it doesn't have the information display screen but it still displays it where the mileage is displayed with "Deck" if the trunk door on the convertible is not closed properly. Does it display it on yours?
Old 07 Mar 2015, 12:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

FYI, his problem isn't the lift gate remaining open (which would be indicated on the dash readout) but that apparently, his pressure sensitive switch in the lift gate handle has failed. He can still open his lift gate with the key.
As I related in my first thread this failure ofttimes leads to a dysfunction of that portion of the remote key less entry module and suggested reference to a thread I'd written headed, "how I diagnosed and repaired disfunctioning lift gate remote release."
I was rushed for time typing that first thread, but now back and full from a great pancake breakfast, I still haven't been able to find that thread and attach it.
So I'm hoping some forum member more knowledgeable than me about finding and attaching threads can do that for our 06 PT owner. I hope it'll help him.............ptprice
Old 07 Mar 2015, 12:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
On one of my PT Cruisers it doesn't have the information display screen but it still displays it where the mileage is displayed with "Deck" if the trunk door on the convertible is not closed properly. Does it display it on yours?
Nope, but that could just be a convertible thing.

Old 14 Mar 2015, 10:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: NEED HELP WITH REAR HATCH ON MY 06 PT

I haven't been able to get on the forum lately but i would to thank everyone for their great info. I found my problem! I was checking out for voltage at all the connections i wasn't getting any readings on my meter ( latch was closed i was on the inside) so i opened the hatch and i turned on the rear wiper and it worked. So i started to check for shorts in between wires. I did a jiggle test on the wires from the car to the hatch and they had a lot of play so i removed the small panel and thats when i SAW MY PROBLEM!! The connections were loose pluged them back together and everything worked!! My hatch opened like its supposed to the rear wiper worked and the defogger worked. Thanks again for all the great info!!
LionPT likes this.
Old 25 Mar 2015, 07:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: NEED HELP WITH REAR HATCH ON MY 06 PT

FOUND A BROKEN WIRE ( Green) IN THE CABLE HARNESS COMING DOWN THE RIGHT (DRIVERS) SIDE (attached to left lid bracket). Appears to be too short and "snapped" Rejoined it and all works as far as key fob and inside glove box button. Thanks for the hints.
Fix est. about 12 minutes.