Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT Timing Belt Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Mar 2015, 12:04 pm
Young Cruiser

Default 2001 PT Timing Belt Question

Bought this car a few years back off a lot - the seller didn't know its history, particularly whether or not the timing belt had been changed. I'm guessing it hasn't - so with that in mind I rarely take the car out of town on longer drives. It now has 111k miles, certainly far overdue for a belt change - but the sticker is I've gotten very expensive quotes to have the job done. I don't know what the car is worth, very little without AC, but it drives incredibly smooth and comfortable.

My question: What are your mileage experiences with the model? Should I expect a breakdown soon? I've added less than 2K a year for the past three years.
Old 24 Mar 2015, 12:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Timing Belt Question

Quotes seem to range from $700 to $1500 depending on where you live.
Timing belt replacement should be done at around 90-100k, there is a user on site that got to 130k.
If you get the timing belt replaced do the water pump & tensioner at the same time...they are in the same area & if you don't, you'll have to reoved the timing belt again.
As for the cars life...that depends on the care...there are a few users on site over 300k & still going strong.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 24 Mar 2015, 12:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Timing Belt Question

Thanks for the info: Your's are the price ranges I've gotten, coincidentally what the going selling price is for a base model such as mine without the AC. I'll keep giving it some thought but probably continue to use it as an 'around town' car. I've also got a 08 Suzuki Forenza, don't get me started, with pretty low mileage, 81K. Wondering if I should sell it and install AC in the PT and change the belt while I'm at it - probably walk away with a hundred bucks in my pocket - but don't tell wifey what I'm thinking.

Seriously, it'll probably remain an around the town car with low miles.

Tags
2001, timing belt