Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil leak around oil pump

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Mar 2015, 05:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oil leak around oil pump

So I was changing my timing belt on my (05 non turbo 118k miles) PT and discovered all my belts were covered in oil. Couldn't figure the exact leak location. There seemed to be a paper thin gap in the seal on the crankshaft. But i also suspected the upper left part of the oil pump. Removed the oil pump and it looks like it was leaking. There is no gasket on it, and that's my main question, is there supposed to be? Just a rubber seal. Cant seem to locate the existence of a gasket for these engines. What to do? Should I replace camshaft seals while I'm at it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-03-26.jpg (98.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-03-261.jpg (92.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-03-262.jpg (92.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 27 Mar 2015, 06:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Oil leak around oil pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecompguru View Post
There is no gasket on it, and that's my main question, is there supposed to be?
No gasket, sealant... Not home to show a picture but you can get at the dealer. Will post picture when I'm home
Yes... replace the cam seals and most important... " CENTER ENGINE MOUNT"!

Old 27 Mar 2015, 08:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So just apply some RTV Ultra Black or something of that sort? I am planning to also get new seals; for the top left of the oil pump and the oil intake pickup.

I removed the engine mount for inspection, see pics. Not sure how bad it is? 60 dollar part. Ive replaced the lower mount three times counting this time, and the upper I've let go unfixed, but I've replaced now. Is the center a common failure as well?

I'm also at a loss for exactly how far to push on the crankshaft sprocket when that time comes. Is this info in a Haynes Manuel? This write up was great but didn't include that piece of info, guess i just eyeball it?

Thanks for the info!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-03-27.jpg (64.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-03-271.jpg (75.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 27 Mar 2015, 09:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
So just apply some RTV Ultra Black or something of that sort? I am planning to also get new seals; for the top left of the oil pump and the oil intake pickup.

I removed the engine mount for inspection, see pics. Not sure how bad it is? 60 dollar part. Ive replaced the lower mount three times counting this time, and the upper I've let go unfixed, but I've replaced now. Is the center a common failure as well?

I'm also at a loss for exactly how far to push on the crankshaft sprocket when that time comes. Is this info in a Haynes Manuel? This write up was great but didn't include that piece of info, guess i just eyeball it?

Thanks for the info!
/////////

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 27 Mar 2015 at 09:24 pm.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 09:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:

Thanks for the info!

It's the same link

Well, I see you edited your post

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 27 Mar 2015, 09:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
I removed the engine mount for inspection, see pics. Is the center a common failure as well?
Those mounts are already cracking. If you don't replace, you will develop a vibration that will frustrate you, cause excessive wear to you upper and lower mounts, then be the culprit for your Power Steering leak from the worn out hose seal, from vibration... Other than that, I guess you can reuse
My opinion, replace it and use only OEM.

Last edited by 767skyking; 27 Mar 2015 at 09:43 pm.