Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2004, 12:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default performance

I have a 2001 LE, purchased in May, 2000, the first PT in the area. It was fun, people flocked to the car in the parking lot and on the freeway. But now the lack of performance is getting to me. Car only has 7000 miles, plan to keep it another 10 years. I am considering adding and induction system fix, headers, dual exhausts. Adds say to expect 24 to 30 horsepower increase. I considered a blower or turbo add-on, but am reluctant for long term relialibily. Any advise.
Old 07 May 2004, 12:23 am
Senior Cruiser

Wow, only 7000 miles in 4 years....I'm impressed. The President of the PT Owner's Club, Manley Bland, has a Whipple Supercharger on his PT and he's put over 70,000 on the car since. He now has some 90,000+ miles on it and claims to have had no major problems. At the rate you're driving/babying your car I don't think you'd have much to worry about.

Of course, with the additional power you may never want to get OUT of your car!
Old 07 May 2004, 03:50 am
Young Cruiser

The items you mentioned above will NOT yield up to a 30 HP increase. More realisticly ~10-12 HP.

If your SC or turbo is installed properly, and you maintain it correctly, you should not experience reliability problems.

Ant
Fully built HRC Turboed 2.4: Wiseco pistons, T2 rods, Port & Polished head (Bob Special) with oversize Stainless Steel valves, #14 Crane Cams, AF/X UDP, No balance shafts, Custom 3\" downpipe, 3\" hi flow exhaust, Ported GT intake manifold, Bored Throttle Body, 30 lb injectors, Water/Alc. injection
Old 07 May 2004, 04:44 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ant

The items you mentioned above will NOT yield up to a 30 HP increase. More realisticly ~10-12 HP.

If your SC or turbo is installed properly, and you maintain it correctly, you should not experience reliability problems.

Ant
If you were already running 300 hp you might get the "up to 30hp", but not with what you're putting out now. Superchargers are nice, but they are more for the big blocks like a Mustang Cobra. You would be much happier with a turbo. You can run up to 6 psi with the stock PT motor and if you want higher boost you'll have to go internal like Ant did and that's more money but worth it. Do it right and you won't have any reliability issues and if you are planning on keeping it 10 more years it would be a good investment. Check out Bob Stokum's web site if you are interested. That's where Ant had his turbo done.
http://www.bstockum.com/

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 07 May 2004, 09:22 am
Senior Cruiser

What about the quick 1-2 shift Mx5 mod for an 01 tranny?
Old 07 May 2004, 10:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with Mean Green and Ant.
There have been lots of posts on headers - they only add a little, not worth the hassle/cost IMHO.
Start with a K&N FIPK & BTG dual exhaust (but only if you want duals, I don't feel duals offer any performance benefit over a single exhaust, but look cool).
You will have some benefit you can feel, and it may be enough. AND it'll SOUND like you're going faster..

And I have an '02 with 73,000+ miles..

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles