Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Convertible Turbo Swap questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2015, 11:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Convertible Turbo Swap questions

My background: Im a mechanic, fabricator, built plenty of cars, street rods, turbo swaps, supercharged engines and engine swaps over the years, work on at least one pt in shop a month now, so know them well. Along with I put a new engine in my daughters 05 GT Turbo in and out complete in one day. So please dont go into rants about it cant be done or its to much work.

My oldest daughter has a 05 GT Turbo, as mentioned, and we like its feel alot. I recently bought my youngest daughter a 2007 Convertible (n/a), quite a different car, but beautiful in its own right I just came across a rolled over totaled 2005 convertible TURBO, and would like to now swap it into her 2007. Lets face it, the na PT is horrible next to the Turbo models Very disappointing in all aspects beyond even power. Axles, brakes, etc, its a sad comparison.

I can do the engine, tranny, everything in the motor compartment in under two days, not a worry. One car to the other, everythings there. I also have a friend that does programming, and can flash and do all communication work when its all done (as long as everything is capable of communicating).

So my questions are: knowing the 05 is different than the 07, will I need to install the cluster from 05 (I dont believe it will communicate with the 07 BCM and PCM/ECU, and if yes on cluster then interior wiring from 05 (?), just HOW MUCH of the wiring needs to be swaped over? Im concerned because of the different dash/interiors. I wouldnt be thrilled to have to swap in the steering column/ignition etc. But right now, Im thinking that Id have to, or Id end up with a pretty car that doesnt start

So please only respond if you have answers to the wiring/cluster/ignition/etc answers.
Thanks in advance.