Alternator/Generator Problem

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By deftoner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Apr 2015, 12:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Alternator/Generator Problem

Hello there!
My name is Javier. I Recently moved in to miami, fl, (company relocation, I'm from Argentina).

I bought a cheap car "transportation" they called. I went to a lot of places and finished buying a PT Cruiser (was the best car and I paid 2500$ for it! 2006)

I drove it for 1700 miles, I only changed a rim that was bent, 2 tires and recently a battery (the one on the cars wasnt even the correct model and acid everywhere). TO be real, I didn't like the PT Cruiser, but when I bought I started to love it. For real. Until today LOL.

Today I was driving and the battery signal on the dashboard goes ON. I turned the AC off (for the fans that consume a lot) and in a mile the light goes of... rare. OK, better go home... again, battery light on.

When I arrived at home, I tested and the alternator/generator (I know...) is not chargin. I have 11.6 v with engine on. I put the ODBII reader, no error code, nothing reported just the low voltage. I hear the belt may be a little more noisy that normal. I saw some steering liquid on the engine too. (Was at night so I didn't saw a lot).

I know something about mechanics and electronics, but here in miami I have 3 screwdrivers all my tools are back in my country. Here I don't have the space either (I can't take a part half engine on my community parking lot). I read here that may be can be some battery temp sensor, something on the ECU, the belt, or the alternator itself.

The thing is that is my only car, and I'm super new here. I don't know where to go, I cant just google a place and go there, I guess I have limited battery time (and need to count the start). I tried to find the service manual, just for the take apart pictures of the engine.

Tomorrow I will check (if I can) the cable connections on the alternator, 2 days ago, there was a rain and some roads were full of water (the horn start to sounds funny since that day), so may be is just a bad connection (wish me luck!).

I know that the people come when they have a problem and then forget the forum, not me. I promise to come back! I love my pt. Its full electric but a base model. I already took from LKQ the lighters and putted in mine. (on the arm rest and on the trunk, they didnt came with my model, but have the holes and the cables with connectors inside the panels).

Another question, less important: When I hit the break pedal the 4 lights go on (the 2 normal brake lighs and the 2 signals), When I put a signal the start flashing with no problem. I checked everything in my power (cables, bulbs, connectors, etc), I even changed the switch on the pedal but nothing. Is that normal on the 2006 model?

Btw I hade and engine light when I bought it, I ran the odbii and said some low power on break circuit. First I thought that was a level on the brake liquid or the sensor. But the error disappear when I changed the battery (may be at the same time that I change the brake switch on pedal)

Ok, Large message. I trapped at house, so I'm all eyes open to suggestions on what can I do.

Thanks for your time. And if someone is from miami It will be nice to meet you! (after I can use my car again of course hahaha)

Have a good one!
Old 17 Apr 2015, 10:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Alternator/Generator Problem

OK! was the alternator. At daylight I say that the alternator was washed in steering liquid. I guess an old leak because the hose in that zone was new. I take the alternator out, and I bought a replacement (and another old alternator but with all new inside), they charge me 250 U$S with "for life" warranty. I checked it (for the "rulemans" that I don't know how to say it in english) and was like a new except for the external skeletal.

So nothing, I changed it, the belt too, and now is 14v in ralenti (800/1000 rpm) and 14.4/14.5 on 1200 or more rpm.

Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 09 Jun 2015, 09:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Alternator/Generator Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftoner View Post
OK! was the alternator. At daylight I say that the alternator was washed in steering liquid. I guess an old leak because the hose in that zone was new. I take the alternator out, and I bought a replacement (and another old alternator but with all new inside), they charge me 250 U$S with "for life" warranty. I checked it (for the "rulemans" that I don't know how to say it in english) and was like a new except for the external skeletal.

So nothing, I changed it, the belt too, and now is 14v in ralenti (800/1000 rpm) and 14.4/14.5 on 1200 or more rpm.

Update (just for informative purposes), the problem was a big leak on the hose of the steering liquid deposit witch is over the engine. The Hose seems to be new but had a big cut under. I patched it and I will look for time to change it (looks a little tricky on the front, on the in of the bomb witch is between the engine and the radiator).