Advertisements
Unresponsive A/C

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Apr 2015, 08:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Unresponsive A/C

Just got done cleaning up a mess with the front end as described elsewhere, and took the car for a ride down to Florida with my darling bride. Thing drives perfectly, except we noticed something I had not previously paid attention to, and that being the A/C doesn't C.

I didn't pay any attention to it during the never-ending winter we had up here, but A/C does not make cold air, at all. Even taking outside air and just having fresh air blown in the cabin is often measurably hotter inside the car than outside, rather than being equalised in any appreciable degree. I measured the Freon charge and I have fully 80 psi of gas (although I do not know what the actual mass or volume of refrigerant is in the system) such that it would not accept any more refrigerant from the spray can of gas available at Advance Auto, with the A/C configured for maximum cooling.

Not really an issue, when the outside temperature is below 75F, although it is muggy no matter what happens anymore. Above that temperature, no amount of air being blown through the ducts cools anything. So, since the forum members here fairly well nailed my previous mechanical problem, I'm looking for just a tad more help? Thanks for everything, cheers =)
Old 19 Apr 2015, 10:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Unresponsive A/C

we're on the same boat...my PT has been possessed in a way that every after winter it would start acting up like than then AC will just start working again by summer.....right after last winter, I wouldn't even feel or hear the compressor cycle.....tried shorting the pressure switch contacts and compressor started cycling again yet no dice, still not blowing cold air nor the tubes doesn't get cold....added some freon to yet to no avail.....noticed that low speed fan doesn't run at all anymore when the compressor kicks in....swapped hi-speed & low speed fan relay yet no luck.....I am leaning on replacing the auxilliary fan this time.....just waiting for a better straight weather ahead.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 11:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Is your radiator fan low and high speed working?
If your radiator fan is not working it can force the AC to overpressure vent Freon and you might be low on freon.
Old 20 Apr 2015, 09:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

That is so odd, what you folks describe. I've not had such a thing happen before, so I will go investigate the fan settings and related items and get back to the thread.

One thing I found particularly odd, was my 01 VW having the same issue: no cold air from A/C. Seeing as it is seven years older than my PT, and different manufacturers, I would have thought something environmental was happening. Still, I don't know at all so I will poke around on it as suggested and come back.

pt..steve, of course I don't know anything about this, such that I couldn't refute your suggestion, but if it were low on Freon, wouldn't the vehicle accept more refrigerant from the can and hose when plugged into the LP side, with the compressor set for max cooling? That's what I'm finding odd, is the seemingly very high pressure of refrigerant being registered by my gauge. Of course I'll take note of the radiator fan behaviour as well, when I step outside in a bit to look into it.

Thanks much all of you! I'll be back in a bit.
Old 20 Apr 2015, 07:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by migrainemotor View Post
That is so odd, what you folks describe. I've not had such a thing happen before, so I will go investigate the fan settings and related items and get back to the thread.

One thing I found particularly odd, was my 01 VW having the same issue: no cold air from A/C. Seeing as it is seven years older than my PT, and different manufacturers, I would have thought something environmental was happening. Still, I don't know at all so I will poke around on it as suggested and come back.

pt..steve, of course I don't know anything about this, such that I couldn't refute your suggestion, but if it were low on Freon, wouldn't the vehicle accept more refrigerant from the can and hose when plugged into the LP side, with the compressor set for max cooling? That's what I'm finding odd, is the seemingly very high pressure of refrigerant being registered by my gauge. Of course I'll take note of the radiator fan behaviour as well, when I step outside in a bit to look into it.

Thanks much all of you! I'll be back in a bit.
Sorry about not putting in enough details. If the radiator fan is not working the freon boils in the A/C condenser creating excessive low pressure and shuts it down. Its critical that the radiator fan is working good at all times. I keep an extra new radiator fan ready to install as when the radiator fan fails you can overheat the engine and put excessive stress on the A/C. For me its a peace of mind at $84.00 from RockAuto and it only takes an hour to install.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 21 Apr 2015 at 07:44 pm.
Old 20 Apr 2015, 08:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Sorry about not putting in enough details. If the radiator fan is not working the freon boils in the A/C condenser creating excessive low pressure and shuts it down. Its critical that the radiator fan is working good at all times. I keep an extra new radiator ready to install as when the radiator fan fails you can overheat the engine and put excessive stress on the A/C. For me its a peace of mind at $84.00 from RockAuto and it only takes an hour to install.
Hey Steve...which fan do you get from RockAuto?
Old 20 Apr 2015, 08:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The "Dorman" fan has a lifetime guarantee.
ColTED likes this.
Old 20 Apr 2015, 08:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you order from RockAuto make sure you check the fan plug. On one of the radiator fans I got the plug was defective so I replaced it with the original fan plug. No problems yet.
Old 21 Apr 2015, 07:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
If you order from RockAuto make sure you check the fan plug. On one of the radiator fans I got the plug was defective so I replaced it with the original fan plug. No problems yet.
thanks for the tips, Steve!
Old 30 May 2015, 11:24 am
Cool Cruiser

Got the TYC fan instead of the Dorman....price came up to$67 incl. shipping, same limited lifetime warranty as Dorman's....seems like Rockauto prices came down a bit including the Dorman fan.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...php?pk=1375437

Installed it yesterday and fan started cycling with the AC compressor.....still not blowing cold air, it was having short cycles thus I bought 2 cans 12oz 134a....refilled the low side port and voila!....started blowing cold air there after.....compressor was staying on longer but didn't notice it to be cycling at all...also found that the dews around the low side line were freezing up.....any ideas?....or maybe I just haven't ran the vehicle yet?