Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT cruiser timing belt questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Apr 2015, 02:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT cruiser timing belt questions

Hello everyone, I recently got a pt cruiser for free from a friend who said that he didnt need that vehicle anymore, however it came with a slight problem... The timing belt has snapped and I am trying to order a replacement so I can open it up and replace it myself (Its gonna be a blast!!!!!!!) anyhow, I cannot tell if my 2.4L L4 DOHC 16v engine is Interference or non interference. I am new to the whole scene of cars and I would like to know what kit I should purchase to replace the timing belt and water pump.
Old 26 Apr 2015, 02:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT cruiser timing belt questions

It is non-interference. if the belt broke at a high rpm, the valves could hit each other but not the pistons.

as far as which belt kit to get, i'll let someone with more knowledge than I have chime in.
Old 26 Apr 2015, 02:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

It's a NON-Interference engine. Almost nobody has had damage when the timing belt broke BUT there has been 1 or 2 where the free floating opposing valve hit each other. it mostly depends on if the engine was at high revs when the belt gave way.

As far as the kit goes to replace the belt, water pump and tensioner, a lot of depends on parts from RockAuto Parts Catalog. Just fill in the information needed and you'll have a choice of which kit to buy. There might even be a coupon to save some money in the vendors section of this forum.
Old 26 Apr 2015, 03:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok great! I am looking to purchase a replacement kit from rock auto. Would this set meet the requirements for what I am needing to replace?? Thank you for the quick response btw!

More Information for DNJ ENGINE COMPONENTS TBK151WP

That's the link to the rock auto kit that I was thinking of purchasing.
Old 26 Apr 2015, 03:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Looks like a good kit to me. The alternator and serpentine belt also have to come off when changing the timing belt. Take a good look at them and change if necessary.

Also, you won't be able to see it till things start coming off but a few of us had to put new seals on the crankshaft end because of leaking. You don't want to change them if they aren't leaking so just keep in mind you might have to once you start working.

Lots of help in our "HOW TO" thread in the Tech & Performance section of the forum.
Old 26 Apr 2015, 04:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Okay great ! I just looked up the prices on the seals, it doesnt seem too bad. I will most like need 2-3 seals if I would need to replace them correct?? Money is always tight but I will find a way haha.
Old 26 Apr 2015, 04:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I believe there's only one complete round seal but you need a special tool to replace it. That's why I said don't do anything unless it's leaking. Here's a posting on it...

02 front crank seal