PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Weird Fuel Gauge Behavior and P0461 CEL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 May 2015, 03:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Weird Fuel Gauge Behavior and P0461 CEL

Hi all;

Trying to figure out how I can fix this on the cheap (if possible)

Over the last month or so, whenever I fill up the tank with gas, the fuel gauge only shows 3/4 of a tank full until I drive it around for about 15 to 30 miles or so.

After I have been driving it around for a while, the fuel gauge will go UP to nearly full. then it seems to track pretty accurately (as far as I can tell) how much gas is left in the tank.

this has been going on for the last two or three times I filled up at the gast station. I never "top off" since I hear that can lead to catalytic converter damage.

So yesterday, I filled up and it showed 3/4 of a full tank, but then after driving around 40 miles, the Check engine Light came on. It gave me a P0461 code - which means something like, "wonky fuel sensor info"

Since the fuel gauge is one of the only gauges that I actually pay attention to, is there a simple fix for this?

Would hate to run out of gas somewhere due to a fuel gauge with a twisted sense of humor.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11 May 2015, 04:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Weird Fuel Gauge Behavior and P0461 CEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjeephatesme View Post
Hi all;

Trying to figure out how I can fix this on the cheap (if possible)

Over the last month or so, whenever I fill up the tank with gas, the fuel gauge only shows 3/4 of a tank full until I drive it around for about 15 to 30 miles or so.

After I have been driving it around for a while, the fuel gauge will go UP to nearly full. then it seems to track pretty accurately (as far as I can tell) how much gas is left in the tank.

this has been going on for the last two or three times I filled up at the gast station. I never "top off" since I hear that can lead to catalytic converter damage.

So yesterday, I filled up and it showed 3/4 of a full tank, but then after driving around 40 miles, the Check engine Light came on. It gave me a P0461 code - which means something like, "wonky fuel sensor info"

Since the fuel gauge is one of the only gauges that I actually pay attention to, is there a simple fix for this?

Would hate to run out of gas somewhere due to a fuel gauge with a twisted sense of humor.

Thanks in advance.
If that was true, every car built for the U.S wouldn't have a catalytic converter.
Most likely not going to be a simple fix either...probably have to drop the tank.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)