PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
STP Usage??

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 May 2015, 01:00 pm
Young Cruiser

Exclamation STP Usage??

Anyone use STP in their 2001 PT Cruiser with synthetic oil?
Good? Bad?
Old 13 May 2015, 03:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: STP Usage??

i use lucas its probaly close to the same just makes the oil sticker some say its great soem say its nothing but a gimmick
Old 13 May 2015, 03:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would say the question "Has STP ever harmed and engine?" I have NEVER seen empirical inflammation that it had.

I would hate to post with this butch some of the stuff I pour in my engines. Way to many chemical home bound computer engineeres that are way to smart for me to keep up with.
cruserdad1976 likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 13 May 2015, 06:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Traditional STP is about 10% zinc dialkyldithiophosphates (ZDDP's) and 90% petroleum distillates and mineral Oil. And I think one of the other popular variations is around 5% ZDDP.

The petroleum/mineral oil mixture is really just a carrier designed to give the customer something "thick" to pour into the engine. The viscosity will settle near that of 30 weight oil when heated. The real active ingredient is the ZDDP's.

Believe it or not, this stuff has been around for about two generations but what ZDDP actually does is not well defined. You will see a lot of different terminology used to describe what ZDDP does. But I believe one of the best simple descriptions is that it increases the surface tension strength of the oil. Basically, it makes the oil harder to pull apart, so it's harder to mash the oil enough for it to separate and let metal touch metal. Under that description, I can imagine it might have a benefit for a very warn engine or one with very low tolerances to begin with. ZDDP also works somewhat as an antioxidant and that may help increase oil life. But I can't say that for sure.

While one of my bachelor degrees is in chemistry, I'm no expert on this. But what I have seen first hand is that back in the 1970's, big truck diesel engines designed to run a million miles between overhauls did no better with additives than ones that only got regularly schedule oil changes with the oil recommended by the manufacturer. So I have always stuck with just using quality oil and getting it changed regularly. There's thousands of different additives today and some likely work better than others. So I figure everyone's "mileage will vary".

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 May 2015 at 06:36 pm.
Old 14 May 2015, 03:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

I use lucas oil and gas additives..
Old 14 May 2015, 04:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

I like the blue bottle STP. On all of my engine builds that is my assembly lube I put on the crank, rod and cam bearings, piston rings etc. I drizzle some on the cam before I drop in the lifters and on the lifter bodies too. Before I was using roller rockers it also went on the rocker balls too. It is good stuff.

I have never poured any in my engine though. lol
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 14 May 2015, 05:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceil99 View Post
Anyone use STP in their 2001 PT Cruiser with synthetic oil?
Good? Bad?
if you're using one of the name brands of quality synthetic oil, it's already engineered to be quality synthetic oil. unless you're trying to target a specific issue, why bother?
Old 14 May 2015, 06:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well well maybe I should start posting internet information and reword it before posting?

I always liked the STP decals and stickers.
podo2000 likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 14 May 2015, 07:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

...as close as I came to using the stuff.

Old 14 May 2015, 08:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
I like the blue bottle STP. On all of my engine builds that is my assembly lube I put on the crank, rod and cam bearings, piston rings etc. I drizzle some on the cam before I drop in the lifters and on the lifter bodies too. Before I was using roller rockers it also went on the rocker balls too. It is good stuff.

I have never poured any in my engine though. lol
Engine builders of the day did this and said they would never do it again. Said it wouldn't let the rings and bearings seat properly. Just what was said back then. Never heard of anyone doing since untill you said it.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com