Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 May 2015, 05:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmission Issue

First Off, Let me say If I posted in the wrong area, Kindly tell me, and I will attempt to figure out where I need to move my post.

I am the owner of a basic 2007 PT Crusier. The other day, While on the way home, something happen to the car. I lost control of the brakes and tapped the back of my soon to be mother in law van. There was no damage to either vehicle and it was a tap like as if someone tap you on the shoulder.

Well The car started having issues. I got it towed to the house, and did a more routine inspection. I've found something that I am not clear of what it could be, thus the main reason I am posting here. There is a bar that goes from the transmission/gearbox to the driver's side tire that is covered in black sludge. I am not sure what the technical name is for it, but I believe it to be the equivalent of a drive shaft since it makes the wheel spin. I am trying to find the technical name of the bar so that I can see about getting it replaced. When driving, it also has a loud knock sound coming from the gearbox I think

Also, If anyone could advised what could be causing the shifter to do the following:

The Shifter itself will not go into Park or Reverse.

It won't go above Neutral, yet on the dashboard it says the car is in Park.

When the Shifter is in Drive, the Dashboard says reverse(and will go in reverse).

When the shifter is in 3rd, it acts like neutral, and when the shifter is in 1st, it acts like drive.

So a better Idea:

Dashboard - Shifter
Park -------- Neutral
Reverse ---- Drive
Neutral ----- 3rd
Drive ------- 1st

Thank you all for the help, and I would like to apologize for my ignorance ahead of time.
Old 24 May 2015, 08:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Issue

I am suggest you might have at least two problems.

I would suggest checking to see if your CV booth is torn and all the grease is leaking out of it. This grease might have gotten into your brakes and possibly caused the problem with your brakes.

I would suggest that if the CV booth is leaking to check the CV joint and see if it needs replacing.

If you have not introduced yourself to the forum I would suggest you do and say a little about yourself and your PT Cruiser.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 24 May 2015 at 08:57 pm.

Tags
2007, cruiser, driveshaft, gearbox, transmission