PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Davis Screaming Demon Ignition Coil

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 May 2015, 05:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Davis Screamin' Demon Ignition Coil

Just sold another one of my cars and figured I'd give my 2004 PT Cruiser GT an ignition tune up since I have no idea when it got one last and it has a little bit of a rough idle I'm hoping to clear out.

I've done some digging on the forums and couldn't find much on the Davis ignition coil other than talk about plug gap. Anyone have any experience with these Davis ignition coils? Compared to MSD coils Davis outputs 45k volts as opposed to 36k. I know people say to just leave the stock Mopar coil on there but I figure it can't hurt to do all new plugs, wires, and coil in hopes of having a smoother idle.

Any tips or recommendations welcome, curious on the Davis coil as I've never used them but I've been happy with my MSD products.

Last edited by FlyinPurplePeopleEater; 25 May 2015 at 05:56 pm.
Old 25 May 2015, 06:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Davis Screaming Demon Ignition Coil

I would suggest checking all your vacuum lines including the one going to the brake booster. Check for cracks and pin hole leaks.
Old 25 May 2015, 06:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

If a stock coil draws 1 amp per 1k rpm, it would be safe to assume a coil with twice the power would draw twice the power. It gets its power from those three little wires that feed it. You may end up taxing other components over time and you'd never even think that was a contributing factor.

Another thing to think about is wider gaps and stronger spark energy will erode the plugs electrode faster.

Things like "more volts" are great for advertisements, but It's not like you're going to go bragging your coil has more volts at a car show. If you like MSD I'd recommend you just stick with them, as it's already overkill.

Not a mechanic, but I'm pretty good with electronics. I dug into this recently because my wide gaps were wearing out my cap and rotor too fast on my mustang. Seemed I was replacing them with every oil change

Last edited by rob342; 25 May 2015 at 06:54 pm.
Old 25 May 2015, 07:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You should do what you feel best suits your personal taste ?

As for a direct replacement coil all are pretty much the same as far as true out put energy goes. Some have better quality components like better corrosion resistant parts.

I personally choose to use the MSD. It is RED and has brass terminals.

As for voltage peak output capability and coils, most information are advertising aids to sell you on their product. The Voltage output is a very small part of what a coil does. In the performance world we tend to visit the rise time charts of any transformer.

Oscilloscopes are wonderful to use.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 26 May 2015, 08:40 am
Regular Cruiser

I do like the red color of MSD, if I remember right for the color to HP conversion red is about 50 extra HP.

Now only if it was red and had flames on it I would buy two for my car.

I wasn't too sure how the volts affect actual performance and kind of guessed it was more of an advertisement thing than anything else.

I will have to look into an oscilloscope as I'm not too familiar with them but I've found there is a lot more science behind plug gap and coil selection than I thought, I'll have to do some more digging and research.
Old 26 May 2015, 08:53 am
Cool Cruiser

It needs pin-stripping too.

If a 25% boost in voltage would be useful, the factory would have supplied it.

Rise times seem to only limit the max RPM, as it's the fall time that fires the spark plug.
buddyiramae likes this.
Old 26 May 2015, 08:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinPurplePeopleEater View Post
I do like the red color of MSD, if I remember right for the color to HP conversion red is about 50 extra HP.

Now only if it was red and had flames on it I would buy two for my car.

I wasn't too sure how the volts affect actual performance and kind of guessed it was more of an advertisement thing than anything else.

I will have to look into an oscilloscope as I'm not too familiar with them but I've found there is a lot more science behind plug gap and coil selection than I thought, I'll have to do some more digging and research.
Actually there isn't. Nothing to be gained by these. Just keep plugs changed at there change interval for what you're useing. And you won't be loosing HP that you already have. None to be gained but you can loose some to worn plugs.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 May 2015, 09:08 am
Senior Cruiser

Accel makes a nice yellow coil if you want to be different from the more common red and black guys.

buddyiramae likes this.
Old 26 May 2015, 10:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Or just paint it the color you wish. Just insulating anyway. May need to avoid metallics.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 May 2015, 11:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinPurplePeopleEater View Post

Now only if it was red and had flames on it I would buy two for my car......

I got ya' covered on the flames and high voltage coil. You will just need to make a few modifications to your ignition system and make sure to run solid copper spark plug wires.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 26 May 2015 at 11:13 am.