PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
FYI CarID

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jun 2015, 07:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default FYI CarID

I've been chasing clunks from the front of my PT.

First thing was to change the lower control arms, which I got from CarID.

Long story short [all rubber mounts have been change], the right control arm came with a defective ball joint.

Called CarID today and was rebuffed.

1st "I see you ordered it two months ago", we have a 30 day limit.

2nd pushed a bit harder and got "if you send pictures we will replace the control arm."

My concern was the cost of replacing the control arm for a second time.

Had they had the minimum quality control I wouldn't have a bad ball joint.

I have no guarantee their replacement will be any better than the defective one they sent.

It's going to cost me over $200 to install their $34 part with the chance of repeating their last mistake.

I'm now pursuing other options and suggest members think twice before dealing with CarID.
mityqwik likes this.
Old 01 Jun 2015, 10:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: FYI CarID

At RockAuto.com you can get the Moog Problem Saver control arm that is redesigned and much improved. It's about $55.
Old 01 Jun 2015, 11:41 pm
Banned

I've purchased a couple times from CarID, and had to return everything for a refund. Luckily their merchandise was defective so I demanded they provide the return shipping labels.
Old 02 Jun 2015, 12:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
At RockAuto.com you can get the Moog Problem Saver control arm that is redesigned and much improved. It's about $55.

MOOGs line of parts is called Problem Solver . Ordering from any suppier even direct MOOG does not garantee that you will get the new improved updated parts.

You really need to request a visual to make sure you get the newest released stock that has all the latest updates in parts.

The current marketing merchandised product does not have any marking or numbers that will identify new stock with updated parts and old stock prior the updated parts. Only merchandising part number changes.

There is an old numbering boxing and new numbering boxing however this will not identify what actual product updates is in the box other then the appropriate part itself.

There is a thread on this forum where this was detailed out.

Most of the information on this response although second hand never the less is directly aquiered from MOOG.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 02 Jun 2015 at 12:14 am.
Old 02 Jun 2015, 06:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
MOOGs line of parts is called Problem Solver . Ordering from any suppier even direct MOOG does not garantee that you will get the new improved updated parts.
Yep, first hand information is good stuff.

I got my last Problem Solver control arm first hand from RockAuto and it was the updated part. I had called them several times about this issue that NitroPT has raised. But luckily, their old stock has now cycled through and they are now shipping the updated part. While there's no guarantee someone might get an older part due to returns or just old stock showing up, RockAuto will take the old part back if that happens and, they will likely pay the return shipping.

I've also talked to the good folks directly at Moog about this. According to the person at Moog I talked to, a customer buying from RockAuto is just as likely to get the new part as someone buying directly from a Brick and Mortar store. Also, this was all months ago. So again, more of the old stock has cycled through and the odds of getting the new part are now much higher.

PS: Both the old design and the new design come with the new part number. So as NitroPT suggests, you need to visually inspect the part you get to assure it has the ball joint-style rear bushing in it.

It's a better deal to buy the entire Problem Solver control arm. However, here's what the special redesigned rear bushing looks like. On the left is an OEM bushing. On the right is the Problem solver bushing. Moog has replaced the rubber bushing part with a ball joint below rubber dust covers.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 02 Jun 2015 at 06:51 am.
Old 02 Jun 2015, 08:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would also like to point out a couple of other things that are brought up all the time.

While Rock Auto is the first choice of many on this forum even with a discount coupon they are NOT always the lowest price.The customer service they provide while very good is also found at other places. Compare you values.

The OE design control arm bushing will last normally 60-100,000 miles. So even if you do not get the MOOG (which I recommend anyway ) you are not going to get a bad part.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 02 Jun 2015, 08:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

CarID CSRs (customer service reps) are only generally trained for basic customer service. The application guides they use varies and at times incorrect.

This is why it is always better in any case to go directly to the manufacture and use their application guides to find the correct part number and then fine your vendor of choice to purchase that part from.

I have purchased items from them in the past and even when there was an issue if I had all the information before the call I have never had any return ,refund or exchange problems with them.

With any place of unsatisfied purchase it really is all about how you handle the problems and having as much information possible before the call. And if unsatisfied you just keep asking for the next CSR(manager) up the ladder.

Naturally if you use some form of payments that your are able to challenge the purchase and hold or temporarily have the funds returned gets their attention quickly to resolve your issues.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 02 Jun 2015 at 08:28 am.
Old 02 Jun 2015, 08:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
CarID CSRs (customer service reps) are only generally trained for basic customer service. The application guides they use varies and at times incorrect.

This is why it is always better in any case to go directly to the manufacture and use their application guides to find the correct part number and then fine your vendor of choice to purchase that part from.

I have purchased items from them in the past and even when there was an issue if I had all the information before the call I have never had any return ,refund or exchange problems with them.

With any place of unsatisfied purchase it really is all about how you handle the problems and having as much information possible before the call. And if unsatisfied you just keep asking for the next CSR(manager) up the ladder.

Naturally if you use some form of payments that your are able to challenge the purchase and hold or temporarily have the funds returned gets their attention quickly to resolve your issues.
Time frame of purchase and reported problem is also a big factor. You should inspect the parts upon arrival for any defects. Its harder to get them to help you if it's been awhile since purchase. They see a lot of scams from people trying to get over on them. So prompt timing a good idea in these cases.
NitroPT likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Jun 2015, 09:19 am
Cool Cruiser

You all make good points and "in hindsight" I would have done things differently.

"Today's plan" is to replace the defective ball joint and hope the cheap control arm doesn't give any problems.
If it does, then autozone has a control arm [$50] in stock so my PT will be on the road.
Old 02 Jun 2015, 09:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Time frame of purchase and reported problem is also a big factor. You should inspect the small parts upon arrival for any defects. Its harder to get them to help you if it's been awhile since purchase. They see a lot of scams from people trying to get over on them. So prompt timing a good idea in these cases.
I keep on had now at least $500-$1200 of PT Cruiser parts inventory in my home garage.
I have a complete set of MOOG control arms,filters,sensors,spark plugs, a stock rebuilt Turbo cylinder head,rebuilt Turbo, Radiator,etc.etc.etc. This is just for customers and not for my own PT Cruiser which is another list altogether. Over the last 3 years working on *13+ different PT Cruisers and learning form this forum what seems to be problem parts I can not afford not to buy from any vendor that will not work with me on any part concern. I buy usually from the least expensive vendor quality branded parts with history of being in business for more then 10 years. Generally the parts I get are all branded parts so if I even think there may be warranty or exchange problems based on the original purchase date I simply buy another same brand and exchange or refund the bad part for the new part just purchased. Its not like most parts are vegetables at the Super market that will go bad in a week or 2. LOL

At times if I feel there may be a "drag" from vendors to resolve problems I preempt this by going back to the manufacture and talking to there technical or their customer service staff. Always get their names and repeat it at least 3 times so they know you know who they are. Then when I contact the original seller/vendor you can use the information gathered from the manufacturer in your favor to support your request.While this may not always get you the best and quickest result it does carry more weight than just cold calling them as just another complaining customer.

When I am forced at times to buy from local auto parts suppliers and must return an item for what ever reason, most of the employee's know me (run) when I walk in the store and pretty much capitulate to me.

* This is a point I try to bring up as far as qualifying responses from myself. Many members have and do work on their own PT but generally the repairs are a single time and PT Cruiser. Just because you did it once makes no one an expert. Do something a few times at least you can say you have experience!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN