PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Cruiser owner going insane!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jun 2015, 05:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy New Cruiser owner going insane!

First of all, hello all! I have had this Cruiser (2004, auto, not turbo) for about 6 months and it is now going crazy. Coil, fuel pump, and main computer have been replaced. Problems started a couple of weeks ago with the radio working sometimes and not other times. Then it started cutting out the engine at 3400 rpm while driving. Even if you are in park with the pedal floored, the tach will bounce between 3400 and 3000 rpm. It will not go over 3400 under any circumstances. Then a few days later it started doing the same thing at 2400 rpm. So now, sometimes it does it at 2400 and sometimes 3400. I can pull it over and shut it off and sometimes it will go back to 3400 when I restart (less of a pain to drive). Here is the weird part. When it is cutting out at 3400 rpm, the horn and cruise control will work. When it is cutting out at 2400 rpm, the horn and cruise control will not work. What in the world is going on? It can't be the clock spring because then the airbag light would be on. And what would a cam or crank sensor have to do with the horn and cruise control? Could I be getting a false code and the problem really be the computer? The codes are P0442 (evap), P0456 (evap), and P0344 (camshaft position sensor circuit intermittent). And, of course, the radio still cuts in and out.
Old 13 Jun 2015, 06:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New Cruiser owner going insane!

I would suggest that you start fixing the problems that the PT Cruiser is telling you with the engine trouble codes first.

I would start with checking your camshaft wires and checking to make sure its making good contact with the camshaft sensor. If that is okay I recommend you replace the camshaft sensor. It can cause the engine to cut off at around 2500 rpm.

On the EVAP issue I would suggest first checking your gas cap. Make sure you are getting a good seal on it when you put it on. You might need to check your EVAP system to find out what is wrong with it.
Badglas and LionPT like this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 13 Jun 2015 at 06:22 pm.
Old 13 Jun 2015, 06:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: New Cruiser owner going insane!

1-800-Iis-insane!

There is a "Welcome to new members" forum at the top of the home page!
Honey catches more flies than vinegar...

I had the same rpm issue with the camshaft sensor 4 weeks ago.
AND THERE IS A POST ON THE SUBJECT IN THE TECH FORUM!
Badglas likes this.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 13 Jun 2015 at 06:30 pm.
Old 14 Jun 2015, 08:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, I saw that thread, but it did not include some of the same issues, like the operation of the horn and cruise being tied to the max rpm of the motor. Makes me think it could be a computer issue, but not sure. I changed the computer out because of a previous issue, but I guess the new one could be faulty.
Old 14 Jun 2015, 08:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteleysj View Post
Yes, I saw that thread, but it did not include some of the same issues, like the operation of the horn and cruise being tied to the max rpm of the motor. Makes me think it could be a computer issue, but not sure. I changed the computer out because of a previous issue, but I guess the new one could be faulty.
The computer might disable or even the cruise itself my not be able to be set under certain operating conditions. At the lower RMS you are in limp mode and I have know ideas what may be disabled at that point as a result. My suggestion it to address the Running issues and Let the rest fall were they may. Throwing parts at it without good diagnostics is a unsatisfying method for the owner. Some shops do little more than this themselves. leaving the owner dissatisfied with the vehicle. But at some point every vehicle has to be repaired and the end result ends the same as the same shop is usually used. I get great deals on poorly repaired or neglected repairs on good vehicles. When I'm done I have a very nice peace. And find new happy owners.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Jun 2015, 11:17 am
Senior Cruiser

Just to add the RPM's not going above 3400 while in park is normal. That's the rev limiter kicking in. Try adjusting the tilt and see if the radio will work.
Old 14 Jun 2015, 12:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteleysj View Post
Did these errors come up after replacing the PCM?
Old 17 Jun 2015, 08:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have the same intermittent radio cutting out on 03 Pt ...adjust tilt or push on the steering wheel fixes it every time..I suspect the harness in mine ,but unless it completely stops working I will not worry about it. I suggest you remove 2 Phillips screws on cover around column and move your harness slightly if the radio cuts out again just for giggles to see if it fixes that problem.
I'm a little perplexed about it "cutting out" at 3400 RPM if you are at idle yes it will cut out as it has a Rev Limiter . The codes listed for the cam position sensor have you replaced the sensor yet? You might start there I have replaced mine a couple of times as well as on my 03 neon . Cheers
Old 17 Jun 2015, 10:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubert1541 View Post
I have the same intermittent radio cutting out on 03 Pt ...adjust tilt or push on the steering wheel fixes it every time..I suspect the harness in mine ,but unless it completely stops working I will not worry about it. I suggest you remove 2 Phillips screws on cover around column and move your harness slightly if the radio cuts out again just for giggles to see if it fixes that problem.
I'm a little perplexed about it "cutting out" at 3400 RPM if you are at idle yes it will cut out as it has a Rev Limiter . The codes listed for the cam position sensor have you replaced the sensor yet? You might start there I have replaced mine a couple of times as well as on my 03 neon . Cheers
The other culprit (other than wiring harness) is often the ignition switch.
Alynn likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Jun 2015, 12:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes to ignition switch sometimes I jigle the key and radio starts working so again as long as I can get it working I will just live with this just a little quirk of my PT

Tags
camshaft, cruise control, horn, radio, rpm