Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C compressor not engaging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jun 2015, 07:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default A/C compressor not engaging

My A/C doesn't blow cold air. Fan does not come on when cold w/A/C. Compresses never comes on as far as I can tell. Added refrigerant today up to 55. Still no compressor or fan. A/C fuse fine. I guess my next step would be the low speed fan relay, but after reading here it seems like my compressor should should be turning on and off even without the fan. Fan does come on when car heats up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 10:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A/C compressor not engaging

I would suggest you start working on the radiator fan first. A radiator fan that might need to be replaced is a lot cheaper then a blown head gasket.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 12:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest you start working on the radiator fan first. A radiator fan that might need to be replaced is a lot cheaper then a blown head gasket.
Thank you for your response. My fan seems to work fine for cooling. I have no overheating problem, but my A/C compressor doesn't seem to be turning on.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 01:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The radiator has a low and high speed. You need to check and make sure both are working properly. If they are not working properly you can be damaging your A/C compressor.

Because of the brushes in the radiator fans might be just barely touching it can make it hard to diagnose if the radiator fan is bad. I have a new spare radiator fan in my garage and if I have any doubts about the radiator fan in either one of my PT Cruisers I will replace it immediately. A new radiator fan is a lot cheaper than a bad A/C compressor or a blown head gasket.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 04:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for your help Steve.

Once I looked up what the low side should read with the compressor off I put more refrigerant in and the compressor started as well as the low speed fan. Filled it to the proper pressure and now getting 50 degrees at the dash.