Fan not working

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jun 2015, 04:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fan not working

OK about two years back when I picked up my 03 limited the fan went bad, well low speed went out. I was on a budget and didn't want to mess up the wiring, so I opened the fan motor and swapped the brushes around. From that point I only had high speed and all was fine...
Now recently the car is overheating, at idle or low speeds so I change the thermostat, it didn't help. Then I realize the temp gauge never goes over half way while it's boiling hot. So I change the ect, and no change!!
So now I have this brand new shiny ect to play with. I plug it in while it's not installed and take a torch to it lol. Still never went over half way on the gauge.
Leaving the ect disconnected at least let's the fan always run (I'll see how the heat does today). So I'm a little better off than I started, but I'd still like to get this sorted out... Any ideas?

Thanks
-D
Old 18 Jun 2015, 08:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Fan not working

I would suggest checking the Instrument Cluster. You can go through the self diagnose test and see if the temperature gauge is working properly.
Hold in the trip odometer reset button while turning the ignition key to "on" will start a self-test, with a readout on the odometer. It will also activate the instrument panels, one at a time. The test will run for approximately 60 seconds, then automatically shut down. If the test senses a fault, the odometer will show the P-code number for the corresponding (DTC) Diagnostic Trouble Code.
3rcruiser likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 18 Jun 2015 at 08:30 am.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 09:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Gauges all check out, no error codes
And it is still overheating today even with the fan running constant
Old 18 Jun 2015, 09:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest you do a coolant pressure check. Make sure your coolant system is not leaking.
Check your radiator cap.
Make sure the hose between the radiator cap and the overflow tank is not leaking letting air in the coolant system.
Is it overheating at high speeds or low speeds or both?
techno2 likes this.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 10:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Low speeds, well as slow as I can force myself to drive in the city, 25-45mph.
But now after further inspection the wires for the ect plug are frayed, could explain why the fan wasn't working, but not today's over heating. So I'll pressure test the coolant system, tomorrow hopefully

And thanks bud
Old 18 Jun 2015, 11:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hmm edit isn't working....

A little more info
I let it run idle for an hour and no coolant boiling over
But half way thru, around the time I noticed the frayed wiring, the fan stopped working and the water temp light went out (just like when the ect is hooked up). I tried to duplicate it and could not. Now, I wasn't driving today when it overheated but I'm thinking that's what happened.
Also checking the coolant pressure just by the squeezing the top hose, I suspect a leak too. I have a hard pressurized hose when the thermostat first opens but shortly after it goes limp.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 11:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbudman View Post
Low speeds, well as slow as I can force myself to drive in the city, 25-45mph.
But now after further inspection the wires for the ect plug are frayed, could explain why the fan wasn't working, but not today's over heating. So I'll pressure test the coolant system, tomorrow hopefully

And thanks bud
If you check everything out and everything checks out okay you might want to consider getting a block test done. How many miles do you have on it?

When you did the Instrument Cluster test did you see the temperature gauge needle go all the way to the 12 o'clock mark?
Old 18 Jun 2015, 11:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was trying to avoid that, I don't like bad news lol. But that's that's the last thing to check I guess I'll have to.
145k and yes it went all the way to high when it did its rounds